Too Many Message Boards

Full Version: Annoying words, sayings or ads.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
'Going forward' is irritating, since its very seldom anyone goes backwards, including a community.

Idiots who seem to believe that every sentence must be started with 'so'.

Being constantly told that someone has got my back is also fairly annoying - if they had then I wouldn't be able to walk.

And being informed that 'you got this' is guaranteed to annoy as well.

But there's an ad for New world which really grates. Having made an effort to claim being Kiwi by using Aotearoa NZ it then goes on to solemnly use those godawful Americans ' bake sale cookies' (!!) & 'store bought'. Confused

This is, as they attempt to establish, Aotearoa NZ - so trying to sound as American as possible is just bloody annoying. 
We don't have sodding 'bake sales', nor are things 'store bought' - we tend to use, &  say, shops dammit.
Big Grin
literally,
literally.
That idiot who keeps barging in on people for One Choice. I want someone to punch him.

Please.
The news reader noddies who are 'across the story', and those who have decided that 'reckon' is a noun. Here are my 'reckons' about that situation. Angry Angry 

Used to be a time when Radio NZ had reasonable levels of English but recently they are using the same in vogue colloquialisms as the cheap commercial media sources.
Then there are those who use words they have only read, never heard pronounced. Correctly. But they try, bless them.
(12-01-2022, 06:22 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: [ -> ]'Going forward' is irritating, since its very seldom anyone goes backwards, including a community.

Being constantly told that someone has got my back is also fairly annoying - if they had then I wouldn't be able to walk.

But there's an ad for New world which really grates. Having made an effort to claim being Kiwi by using Aotearoa NZ it then goes on to solemnly use those godawful Americans ' bake sale cookies' (!!) & 'store bought'. Confused

This is, as they attempt to establish, Aotearoa NZ - so trying to sound as American as possible is just bloody annoying. 
We don't have sodding 'bake sales', nor are things 'store bought' - we tend to use, &  say, shops dammit.
Big Grin
"You got this"
"Reaching out".  (Even worse:   "Thanks for reaching out" as a response to a simple query.)
"Just sayin' ". (Or anything written that substitutes an apostrophe for a g)
"Go figure"

(13-01-2022, 07:04 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]Then there are those who use words they have only read, never heard pronounced. Correctly. But they try, bless them.
At least they have been reading.
Most annoying ad - Electric Kiwi. The first version was bad enough but the cartoon is 100x worse.

Most annoying grammatical errors:
-"there's" instead of" there are"
-incorrect apostrophes. I saw something recently where they missed the apostrophe they needed, then in the next sentence added one that shouldn't have been there
-confusion between "each other" and "one another"
(13-01-2022, 07:30 AM)Olive Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-01-2022, 06:22 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: [ -> ]'Going forward' is irritating, since its very seldom anyone goes backwards, including a community.

Big Grin
"You got this"
"Reaching out".  (Even worse:   "Thanks for reaching out" as a response to a simple query.)
"Just sayin' ". (Or anything written that substitutes an apostrophe for a g)
"Go figure"

(13-01-2022, 07:04 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]Then there are those who use words they have only read, never heard pronounced. Correctly. But they try, bless them.
At least they have been reading.
Hence the blessing.
An apparent inability to pronounce the letter T unless its the first letter in a word - 'twenny twenny' (also in the American manner, which leads me to wonder just how many Americans we now have living here) & 'cannabry' fgs; clearly we now live in a tin of cheese.

And yes - 'across something or other ' is also irritating, as is the liberal use of 'literally' when its obvious the person hasn't the least idea of its actual, literal meaning.
And especially on the news - 'is' instead of 'has'.
To be honest though, I'm just dreadful with apostrophes sometimes, & definitely tend to make mistakes from time to time, but then I'm not reading the news - for which we can all be thankful!
Not that I'd want a return to the earlier days when radio announcers (as they then were) did their best to sound as upper class BBC English as possible - but there was a time after that when people had a better grasp of the language & didn't try to sound like anything other than ordinary Kiwis; that'd be good enough. Smile
Swear words. Seem to crop up frequently in some conversations and very irritating and unnecessary.
The constant use of 'like' as a sentence filler, especially by young women I've noticed. The same type of people who describe any event they have witnessed or been party to as 'surreal'. Rolleyes
(13-01-2022, 11:09 AM)harm_less Wrote: [ -> ]The constant use of 'like' as a sentence filler, especially by young women I've noticed. The same type of people who describe any event they have witnessed or been party to as 'surreal'. Rolleyes
Aaaargh! Yes & the equally annoying 'you know'

'So, you know, like' its twenny twenny' Big Grin Big Grin
And 'real bad' rather than really.
'Level playing field'
Some fool on the TV advertising the masked singer says someone was 'baddiling' something & it was a Kiwi voice!

Then there's 'swim meet' instead of meeting, & it seems some of us have lost the ability to simply say now, at the moment or at present; its invariably 'right now.'
Smile
My Bad <----- your bad what?

When watching TV1 News where the presenters are predominantly white and think they are smart by using all these Maori words at the beginning and during and at the end of segments get on my nerves. 
But when watching TV3 News where the presenters are predominantly Maori and just use the Maori greeting at the beginning of the news  and hardly ever through the broadcast, these guys get my vote.
(14-01-2022, 12:47 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: [ -> ]My Bad <----- your bad what?

When watching TV1 News where the presenters are predominantly white and think they are smart by using all these Maori words at the beginning and during and at the end of segments get on my nerves. 
But when watching TV3 News where the presenters are predominantly Maori and just use the Maori greeting at the beginning of the news  and hardly ever through the broadcast, these guys get my vote.

kaua e whakaaro ki te koroua
(14-01-2022, 03:40 PM)Magoo Wrote: [ -> ]

Ka pai te korero, ka whakaae ahau
(14-01-2022, 03:40 PM)Magoo Wrote: [ -> ]

don't think about the old man ... i will if i want
oh dear i should have checked.
wanted to say
'dont worry about it old man.'
my maori is not that flash.
'For free' - nope, just free.

Then there's that emotionally manipulative ad with the three legged dog - old chap puts flowers on wife's grave & is next in a dog shelter (possible she didn't like dogs?) where he's about to choose one when he spots a three legged - but still very attractive - dog. He kneels down to pat it & we see that he too, is lacking a leg

This is supposed to get us to buy whatever the hell it is they're selling - never happen. Bastards.
Pages: 1 2