Too Many Message Boards

Full Version: The happiest I have ever been...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am inspired by a farcebook pic of a bronze plague attached to a wall on a street in Exeter, that said 'I don't like text in art but walking along this street holding the hand of the girl I loved was the happiest I have ever been'. It made me think about 'happiest' moments, and I think I have had more than one, and there may still be room for a few more.

Being in love and married to the most incredible man, hearing my child tell me I was her favourite person, several times each of my parents gave me some serious heartfelt praise, a couple of rather glorious day trips when I had my road bikes, and getting that hard won bit of paper that was so important back then, but not so much now. Those are some of mine.

These days perhaps contentment is a better place to be, but I wonder about your happiest moments - are they as precious and yet as ordinary as mine, or are they the enormous peaks of achievement we are sometimes told we should aim for?
Travel moments are now precious because unlikely to be repeated: sitting in a dive bar in Barcelona drinking Tempranillo with my husband and two best friends; stepping on to the main street of Luang Prabang after decades of longing to visit; first night in former East Berlin; dinner by the Ping River in Chiang Mai; Hagia Sofia in Istanbul; arriving in Sukhumvit Soi 5, Bangkok at midnight.

Achievements at work, too boring to describe here.

Romantic times, too personal to describe here.
There was something pretty cool about arriving, and about departing, you are right. Anticipation, intrigue, expectation, discovery...
Full throttle, full lock, feet up, sideways for as long as I can hold it. Nothing could beat being so far over the limit, and in total control.
Desert Road on an autumn day. That straight. Riding with a friend who had a 1200. So I break the 150 and am wondering if I should perhaps drop it back a bit and he sails past, one handed and laughing at me.

Bastard.
when i was twelve watching a big brown in the ohau river suck down a fly i had tied myself, .
I married a very skilled fisher which is why we moved to Taupo to live. He would check road kill for feathers and fur he could use. I understand that particular obsession with cold water and awful tasting fish rather well.
i dont eat them. i let them go. i dont want to hurt anything, just make it late for its next appointment.
Ummmm, you think that hook in the mouth is kind?

I told my darling he would come back as a fish, until he had repaid his karmic debt, lol...
(15-01-2022, 05:30 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]Ummmm, you think that hook in the mouth is kind?

I told my darling he would come back as a fish, until he had repaid his karmic debt, lol...
i remove the barbs for easy release.
i dont imagine its any less kind than piercing ones ears or getting a tatt?
I learned quite a lot keeping tropical fish over the years. That ad with the goldfish memory thing makes me cross. Fish have memories. Fish play. It is an enlightening hobby, keeping healthy planted aquariums. But too much work for old ladies...
alas i see the aquariums going in the same direction as their big brothers the Marineland in napier, and Seaworld in Florida.
you cant free willy and not nemo.
Years ago, I had to visit the local mall & had just gone in when my two eldest granddaughters (then about 2 & 4 & who unbeknown to me were already inside with their Mum) let out an almighty screech of GRAAANNN!!, galloped halfway down the mall & flung themselves at me.
I have an inkling of how it feels to be a rock star! It still makes me smile every time i think of it. Smile
1971 Standing on the ships upper deck about two days out from Singapore and i could smell the cooking fires of the Kampongs, beautiful sweet smell, the smell also filled the boiler room.
Unfortunatly as the high rises went up the kampongs dissapeared, i smell that will live with me forever.
Crossing the Equator when I was ten on the SS Canberra is a gorgeous and slightly weird memory in my fat file of such things. That was a gorgeous ship. The trip was pretty educational for small girl from Auckland NZ. Eye opening. Mind blowing. Life changing.

Thank you for making me open that file.
(15-04-2022, 06:00 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]Crossing the Equator when I was ten on the SS Canberra is a gorgeous and slightly weird memory in my fat file of such things. That was a gorgeous ship. The trip was pretty educational for small girl from Auckland NZ. Eye opening. Mind blowing. Life changing.

I used to work on the Canberra in the late 60s as a steward, great ship and it was a shame when it got scrapped but then that happens to everything that gets too old, it all ends up on the scrap heap.
As for being happy was when my children and grand children were born, I was chuffed to bit for months  Dance
(15-04-2022, 06:27 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: [ -> ]
(15-04-2022, 06:00 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]Crossing the Equator when I was ten on the SS Canberra is a gorgeous and slightly weird memory in my fat file of such things. That was a gorgeous ship. The trip was pretty educational for small girl from Auckland NZ. Eye opening. Mind blowing. Life changing.

I used to work on the Canberra in the late 60s as a steward, great ship and it was a shame when it got scrapped but then that happens to everything that gets too old, it all ends up on the scrap heap.
As for being happy was when my children and grand children were born, I was chuffed to bit for months  Dance
Agreed; being a Gran is the best.  Smile

And there's only one rule:  It is the first duty of every Grandparent to spoil outrageously each grandchild at every opportunity!  Wink Big Grin
Menzies was a fellow passenger on that trip. As was Peter Sellers. And an American girl my age who had the first Barbies I ever came across. She let me play with them.

It was love at first sight.