Too Many Message Boards

Full Version: Latest poll out: Labour v National
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4

jackford

So where's the poll on here?

jackford

(27-01-2022, 05:46 PM)Outsider Wrote: [ -> ]So where's the poll on here?
Amended heading
Luxon benefitting by staying out the news during the summer holiday.

It's going to be an testing few months for all the major parties. Labour battling Omicron. National battling to get its word out. ACT battling to get back some of that flip-flopping National support base. Greens battling to appear not forgotten. Maori Party battling to appear not so whiny. "Fun" times.
Bye Bye Jacinda , there are plenty of fish and chip shops you can work in  Big Grin Big Grin
(27-01-2022, 08:27 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: [ -> ]Bye Bye Jacinda , there are plenty of fish and chip shops you can work in  Big Grin Big Grin
Who would you choose to replace her as PM ?
Jacinda Ardern at 35 per cent, down 4 points
Luxon polled 17 per cent

Not really a story here, she is still miles ahead - 4 points is easily explained by the wacko anti mandate brigade not getting their own way...
(27-01-2022, 09:06 PM)king1 Wrote: [ -> ]Jacinda Ardern at 35 per cent, down 4 points
Luxon polled 17 per cent

Not really a story here, she is still miles ahead - 4 points is easily explained by the wacko anti mandate brigade not getting their own way...
Except if we voted for a PM that might be true.
The real numbers are that labour /Green are now just 6% ahead of National/Act.  Another 3% drop from Labour going to National and its a dead heat.

(27-01-2022, 08:45 PM)Olive Wrote: [ -> ]
(27-01-2022, 08:27 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: [ -> ]Bye Bye Jacinda , there are plenty of fish and chip shops you can work in  Big Grin Big Grin
Who would you choose to replace her as PM ?
There is only one option for Labour and it was so unpalatable for their own members they changed the rules to get him in.
mahoutu?, pardon my spelling and pronunciation on that one.

its the start of the swing away from the 'war' cabinet.
not good to interrupt governments in the middle of a war (epidemic)
as things get better we focus on different things
interest rates this week
Why is it she always gets the fish and chips thing despite the fact she also worked in the British PMs office as a young woman? Which is the more significant I wonder considering her career path?

Do our youthful careers in fast food haunt us? Mine, I confess was in a Palmy North Chinese food joint where I learned just how bare you can strip a chicken carcass. And they were chickens...
(28-01-2022, 08:35 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]Why is it she always gets the fish and chips thing despite the fact she also worked in the British PMs office as a young woman? Which is the more significant I wonder considering her career path?

Do our youthful careers in fast food haunt us? Mine, I confess was in a Palmy North Chinese food joint where I learned just how bare you can strip a chicken carcass. And they were chickens...
While I don't abide by the whole chippy thing I think you will find that is the only job she has ever had in the real world- I.e. outside politics
Someone who has spent their life doing something by choice must really enjoy it - and going with Malcolm Gladwell's 10,000 hours theory - must be an expert at it.

But apparently a guy who spent 8 years working out if they could restrict the leg room any further in Economy is more qualified. Go figure.
(28-01-2022, 07:54 AM)Magoo Wrote: [ -> ]...
not good to interrupt governments in the middle of a war (epidemic)

Exactly right. This is a war and political parties should be working together (or at least supporting the fight) to keep the enemy virus under control.

Of course many people are anxious and edgy, but it's a shame this energy is not being directed at the actual enemy rather than being diffused into petty undermining of the government and its advisors.
Another bug bear for me is this Real World thing. You don't think politicians have mortgages? Supermarket trips? Difficult marriages? Rebellious offspring? Scary health outcomes? Ambitions and disappointments in their careers? Nasty neighbours? Bank accounts that get dicey every now and then?

Or is being an MP a kind of magic shield against all of the normal things those of us in the Real World have to put up with?

Sometimes people have early career choices in areas they stick to for the rest of their lives. Teachers. Health care workers. Surgeons. Truck drivers. Usually it means they get to be very good at what they do because of years of practice. Is being a career politician any different? Given keeping their job is up to the electorate, I would suspect doing that might be even harder for them than your average Real World truckie...

At least they do not have to beg to keep their job on a regular cycle.
(28-01-2022, 08:35 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]Why is it she always gets the fish and chips thing despite the fact she also worked in the British PMs office as a young woman? Which is the more significant I wonder considering her career path?

I get really tired of the "I studied at the University of Life" bullshit, usually perpetuated by uneducated older men who know nothing and get their political views from talkback radio.
(28-01-2022, 09:29 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]Another bug bear for me is this Real World thing. You don't think politicians have mortgages? Supermarket trips? Difficult marriages? Rebellious offspring? Scary health outcomes?  Ambitions and disappointments in their careers? Nasty neighbours? Bank accounts that get dicey every now and then?

Or is being an MP a kind of magic shield against all of the normal things those of us in the Real World have to put up with?

Sometimes people have early career choices in areas they stick to for the rest of their lives. Teachers. Health care workers. Surgeons. Truck drivers. Usually it means they get to be very good at what they do because of years of practice. Is being a career politician any different? Given keeping their job is up to the electorate, I would suspect doing that might be even harder for them than your average Real World truckie...

At least they do not have to beg to keep their job on a regular cycle.
When the real world term is used it is to do with working outside politics.  Especially where you are working, like Ardern did, in a position that wasnt elected.  This also means outside academia.

Even within politics Ardern was entirely average.  Unable to secure a seat in a electorate she was bought on as a list MP.  While an MP produced no legislation of note (I could be wrong but believe she had not had any bills written and passed from her prior to being PM?).

Those who can,do.  Those who can't, teach.  Those that can't teach become a Minister (certainly true in Trevor Mallards case - but can add to his Those that are no good as Minister become speaker).
(27-01-2022, 09:06 PM)king1 Wrote: [ -> ]Jacinda Ardern at 35 per cent, down 4 points
Luxon polled 17 per cent

The way the poll was presented last night by TV1 I was expecting a massive drop by Labour but it's really not significant.  Of more interest is ACT losing numbers to National.   But I guess TVNZ paid for the poll so they will do their damndest to squeeze some clicks out of it even when that involves misleading headlines.   That's nothing new.
(28-01-2022, 09:49 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: [ -> ]Even within politics Ardern was entirely average.

Just a reminder...
"New Zealand election: Jacinda Ardern's Labour Party scores landslide win"
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-54519628
(28-01-2022, 09:58 AM)Olive Wrote: [ -> ]
Luxon polled 17 per cent

The way the poll was presented last night by TV1 I was expecting a massive drop by Labour but it's really not significant.  Of more interest is ACT losing numbers to National.   But I guess TVNZ paid for the poll so they will do their damndest to squeeze some clicks out of it even when that involves misleading headlines.   That's nothing new.
Since the election the left block has gone from 14 or 15 % ahead to 6%.   If that isn't isn't massive drop I don't  know what is.  A further 3 % shift left to right and dead heat.

(28-01-2022, 10:05 AM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote: [ -> ]
(28-01-2022, 09:49 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: [ -> ]Even within politics Ardern was entirely average.

Just a reminder...
"New Zealand election: Jacinda Ardern's Labour Party scores landslide win"
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-54519628
And what did Ardern achieve within politics prior to being elevated to leader of Labour?
I very much doubt the party elected her to the leadership because of her achievements. She won that at a time when the alternatives were few and reluctant. And boy, was that a good move by the Labour party. Had they picked someone else the Nats might still be in the job.

And we would be a very different country.

Just a thought DP, but if attacking the PM as a person is all you can offer by way of political argument, we left leaning nut jobs have already won the day.

Just as Labour seems able to do with very little challenge.
Pages: 1 2 3 4