Too Many Message Boards

Full Version: corona virus..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
well  thank fully...  we  (sic) are prepared  for  when the pandemic breaks out..  so our glorious  (sic) leader has informed us..  ye ha.. 19million  face masks  will be available...
thats  1 each for 4-5 days...
hope they are washable... Smilethen what? we all self quarrantene ourselfs?? for 14 days...

may as well bring back  plastic shopping bags and just use those instead...
I thought this board was supposed to be politics free? What's with this "glorious leader" rubbish?
(24-02-2020, 06:38 PM)Praktica Wrote: [ -> ]I thought this board was supposed to be politics free? What's with this "glorious leader" rubbish?

We're not gonna stop political discussion (unless it gets out of hand), we just don't actively encourage it by giving it it's own section Smile
(24-02-2020, 07:21 PM)s.monkey Wrote: [ -> ]
(24-02-2020, 06:38 PM)Praktica Wrote: [ -> ]I thought this board was supposed to be politics free? What's with this "glorious leader" rubbish?

We're not gonna stop political discussion (unless it gets out of hand), we just don't actively encourage it by giving it it's own section Smile
yup agreed, I was about to start a coronavirus thread anyway.
I will eventually add a news and current affairs forum here where we can talk about these sorts of things out of general anyway.
Needless to say ive seen a fair bit of criticism around many countries handling of it, but I think NZ has done pretty well to keep us free of the virus so far anyway, so give them credit where its due. Its definitely looking like a pandemic is on the cards, how serious it will be, we still dont really know.

There is not much we can really do to prepare, but masks are a help, but no silver bullet.
The US have just announced a similar pandemic plan and are working with logistics to get supplies that are needed for health workers, including masks.
The only real way to slow the spread is to literally close things down and stay out of public. The reality is it is going to arrive in NZ at some point.
For quality knowledgeable up to date information on the COVID19 outbreak you aren't likely to find better than Dr John Campbell out of the UK.

The Doctor has been posting for about a month now and it is concerning that he has recently become increasingly pessimistic over the implications of what is now almost certainly a global pandemic unfolding before us.
Politics touches our lives in pretty much every way - so its inevitable that some political debate will arise.
As an aside "Glorious Leader" isnt too far removed from Nobel Peace Prize nominee, or Woman of the Year or Pacific Person Of the Year. Its just another superlative.
Dr John Campbell is a Nurse Educator. He has a PhD in that. He is not a qualified medical doctor.

(25-02-2020, 03:15 PM)Gammy Wrote: [ -> ] "Glorious Leader" isnt too far removed from Nobel Peace Prize nominee, or Woman of the Year or Pacific Person Of the Year. Its just another superlative.
Really?
(24-02-2020, 07:29 PM)Admin Wrote: [ -> ]There is not much we can really do to prepare, but masks are a help, but no silver bullet.
 Masks arent really a help.

From the World Health Organsiaiton

"
  • If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection.
  • Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
  • Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
  • If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly
  • Before putting on a mask, clean hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
  • Cover mouth and nose with mask and make sure there are no gaps between your face and the mask.
  • Avoid touching the mask while using it; if you do, clean your hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
  • Replace the mask with a new one as soon as it is damp and do not re-use single-use masks.
  • To remove the mask: remove it from behind (do not touch the front of mask); discard immediately in a closed bin; clean hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water."
(25-02-2020, 03:15 PM)Praktica Wrote: [ -> ]Dr John Campbell is a Nurse Educator. He has a PhD in that. He is not a qualified medical doctor.

His knowledge and explanation of medical terms and the workings of the global health system with his first hand contact with medical practitioners worldwide makes him a valuable and accurate commentator of the situation in regards to COVID19. Certainly more reliable than much of the alarmist misinformation that is being posted by every man and his dog it would seem.
(25-02-2020, 03:30 PM)harm_less Wrote: [ -> ]
(25-02-2020, 03:15 PM)Praktica Wrote: [ -> ]Dr John Campbell is a Nurse Educator. He has a PhD in that. He is not a qualified medical doctor.

His knowledge and explanation of medical terms and the workings of the global health system with his first hand contact with medical practitioners worldwide makes him a valuable and accurate commentator of the situation in regards to COVID19. Certainly more reliable than much of the alarmist misinformation that is being posted by every man and his dog it would seem.
 Why not just go the World Health Organisation conoviryus website - may as well hear it from the horses mouth
(24-02-2020, 07:29 PM)Admin Wrote: [ -> ]
(24-02-2020, 07:21 PM)s.monkey Wrote: [ -> ]We're not gonna stop political discussion (unless it gets out of hand), we just don't actively encourage it by giving it it's own section Smile
yup agreed, I was about to start a coronavirus thread anyway.
I will eventually add a news and current affairs forum here where we can talk about these sorts of things out of general anyway.
Needless to say ive seen a fair bit of criticism around many countries handling of it, but I think NZ has done pretty well to keep us free of the virus so far anyway, so give them credit where its due. Its definitely looking like a pandemic is on the cards, how serious it will be, we still dont really know.

There is not much we can really do to prepare, but masks are a help, but no silver bullet.
The US have just announced a similar pandemic plan and are working with logistics to get supplies that are needed for health workers, including masks.
The only real way to slow the spread is to literally close things down and stay out of public. The reality is it is going to arrive in NZ at some point.

Yes exactly, we can only do so much to try and stop ourselves from getting it, if we get it we get it there's not much you can do once you have it apart from going into islolation and telling everyone to stay away but just drop some food and water at the door
(25-02-2020, 03:23 PM)Gammy Wrote: [ -> ]
(24-02-2020, 07:29 PM)Admin Wrote: [ -> ]There is not much we can really do to prepare, but masks are a help, but no silver bullet.
 Masks arent really a help.

From the World Health Organsiaiton

"
  • If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection.
  • Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
  • Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
  • If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly
  • Before putting on a mask, clean hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
  • Cover mouth and nose with mask and make sure there are no gaps between your face and the mask.
  • Avoid touching the mask while using it; if you do, clean your hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
  • Replace the mask with a new one as soon as it is damp and do not re-use single-use masks.
  • To remove the mask: remove it from behind (do not touch the front of mask); discard immediately in a closed bin; clean hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water."
Correct.
Masks help more to stop people spreading from coughs rather than protect people from it, as you can contract the virus through the eyes too, so in other words, your are screwed unless you wear a gas mask and hazmat suit lol
Proper hygene measures help, but the fact is that its airborne, so keeping away from public is the only real way to stop you catching it. It appears to be just as contagious as the regular flu or common cold.
(25-02-2020, 03:50 PM)Gammy Wrote: [ -> ] Why not just go the World Health Organisation conoviryus website - may as well hear it from the horses mouth
Because the WHO are treading the diplomatic path and Dr Campbell has the skills and confidence to state the situation in more concise terms.

so glad you agree .. that they are rubbishSmile
Does anyone know if the Flu jab will help to make it a milder case or not
(25-02-2020, 08:29 PM)crab2 Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone know if the Flu jab will help to make it a milder case or not
In understand from what I've seen and heard existing flu vaccines won't offer any protection against COVID19 but they should prevent other flu infections which may otherwise be mistaken for a case of COVID19.
Flu vaccine wont have any effect but yes can help eliminate possible suspicion of coronavirus and reduce impact on health system.

On another note, I wish the media would show more of what's going on in china. They are locking apartment buildings up with people in them and there is footage of people escaping and climbing down the outside. Sad
I noticed a few people today coughing and spluttering all over the clothing racks while out shopping. Urghhhhhhh.... cough into your elbow you germ-ridden nincompoops!
I'm stocking up the pantry for just in case (I kid you not) and have a box of face masks from back when they were $5 a box. I got the flu really bad a few years ago and was so sick I wanted to die, don't want a repeat of that quite frankly.