Too Many Message Boards

Full Version: The whatever thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I find that someone starts a thread about something and not even halfway through it gets hijacked by a totally different subject and yes I'm guilty of doing this myself.
So this thread is an anything goes thread, hijack it turn it around no need to follow what anyone is saying, just go for it. Talk about anything.
Lets see what happens.
A very good point @Oldfellah, seems like a good way to add to the clarity and structure.  I imagine a lot of sites do have fairly clear rules about not doing that, thinking maybe we should make it a reportable 'offense' . 

{time passes}

OK i've added a Thread Hijack to the "Report" reasons and modified the forum rules to include 4b as below

Quote:4. Do not:
     a. intentionally delete your threads and/or posts.  This negatively affects our community and harms those who
         participated in the thread, as their posts become less relevant (or are removed completely) and will make less or
         no sense in context of the thread.
     b. intentionally or otherwise, hijack a discussion/thread.  If you intend to change the topic, 
          please start a new thread instead.   (you may link to it from the original thread...) 

We can cut and dice posts in a thread, split them out into new threads etc, so if you see any just report it and/or send a PM - same applies to any topics that might get going here, we can split them off into their own thread...
Monero XMR up 16% this week, over 400nzd at the moment...
Reportable offence?

Where do I hand myself in?

Edited to add - Mind you, this might be the opportunity I have been waiting for - to get a decent Warning Level Score.
Great stuff, people talking about different things already 
hunnihunni you wait for every opportunity lol 
King is obviously the Market expert, feel free to ask him anything  Big Grin
(21-04-2022, 09:26 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]Reportable offence?

Where do I hand myself in?

Edited to add - Mind you, this might be the opportunity I have been waiting for - to get a decent Warning Level Score.
offense was probably the wrong choice of word - gently modifying behavioural patterns probably describes it better....

But I can easily help you fulfil that opportunity you been waiting for hunni.  Just say the word...
maybe it won't be as meaningful if it's not genuine though?
(21-04-2022, 09:38 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: [ -> ]Great stuff, people talking about different things already 
hunnihunni you wait for every opportunity lol 
King is obviously the Market expert, feel free to ask him anything  Big Grin
I just do some low level cryptocurrency mining,  next week it will probably be down under 300 - all horribly volatile the crypto markets...
Bloody hell, our king has gone to the dark side! The forum has suddenly become horribly volatile.

Now, where's that Report button...
(21-04-2022, 09:26 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]Edited to add - Mind you, this might be the opportunity I have been waiting for - to get a decent Warning Level Score.
i might be able to help with that
Labour minister David Parker says a supermarket duopoly with possibly "too much market power" is one of the reasons produce growers are struggling to sell their product, while National's Nicola Willis is aiming blame for rising costs at the Government.

The latest Consumer Price Index (CPI) figures released on Thursday showed annual inflation reached 6.9 percent in the year to March 2022, the highest it's been in more than 30 years. Food prices were up 6.7 percent, with fruit and vege soaring a huge 17 percent.

Ok the government and the opposition know this and what the hell is being done about it? Oh ok we will blame the virus oh and then we can blame the war.
Why cant the government blame themselves?
(22-04-2022, 09:41 AM)Oldfellah Wrote: [ -> ]Labour minister David Parker says a supermarket duopoly with possibly "too much market power" is one of the reasons produce growers are struggling to sell their product, while National's Nicola Willis is aiming blame for rising costs at the Government.

The latest Consumer Price Index (CPI) figures released on Thursday showed annual inflation reached 6.9 percent in the year to March 2022, the highest it's been in more than 30 years. Food prices were up 6.7 percent, with fruit and vege soaring a huge 17 percent.

Ok the government and the opposition know this and what the hell is being done about it? Oh ok we will blame the virus oh and then we can blame the war.
Why cant the government blame themselves?
Interesting to consider that NZ's supermarket duopoly is a case of a lack of free market influence whereas the electricity sector's increasing price structure is largely a case of unbridled free market influences working in favour of the generators at the expense of consumers. Guess a happy medium needs to be found in both cases.

And our wee nation down here in the bottom corner of the Pacific is largely at the mercy of the big players internationally. We didn't invade our neighbours, we did make a pretty fine job of managing COVID but now China has locked down Shanghai due to that virus which will lead to even higher increases in imported goods and virtually all Western economies are reporting similar or higher inflation rates so why should we be any different. The government has relaxed fuel prices to ease the pain for many but realistically other actions that have been suggested publicly will only serve to distort the market which will then correct itself, as markets do, so are probably counterproductive in the medium to long term.
If only we had had the sense to use the covid period to realise that very status as a distant outlying market is a prime reason to retrieve some of our offshore production, bring it home, and develop some future independence from our reliance on overseas suppliers. We might already be a few steps ahead in that journey.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
(22-04-2022, 10:30 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]If only we had had the sense to use the covid period to realise that very status as a distant outlying market is a prime reason to retrieve some of our offshore production, bring it home, and develop some future independence from our reliance on overseas suppliers. We might already be a few steps ahead in that journey.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
I've thought for a while now that it wouldn't be a bad thing for each country to become as self sufficient as possible. And covid has certainly shown the advantage of that.
We are just about self sufficient in the veges sector so why are the million dollar a day duopoly dictating to the growers that they have to accept the price they want to pay? Its no wonder the growers are just digging up everything because its not worth them sending their product to market, so what do the supermarkets do ... they raise the prices ... what a crock!!!
Because not enough of us buy from independent retailers - the old style fruit and vegie shops. Like butchers, the more we use them instead of the convenience of the one stop supermarkets, the better their business, the more power they have to buy, the better price they can sell at.

Our local fruit guys sell all sorts of things now a lot cheaper than the supermarkets, especially in the 'organic' ranges, which are after all simply less processed foods...
dalwinnder and his lovely mrs, pushpinder always have good deals down at welcome bay fruit and veg shop.

(22-04-2022, 01:57 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]Because not enough of us buy from independent retailers - the old style fruit and vegie shops. Like butchers, the more we use them instead of the convenience of the one stop supermarkets, the better their business, the more power they have to buy, the better price they can sell at.

Our local fruit guys sell all sorts of things now a lot cheaper than the supermarkets, especially in the 'organic' ranges, which are after all simply less processed foods...
organic, another word for scungy looking and over priced.
none of that shit for the magoo's.
i want my fruit and veg grown using the latest genetics and chemicals, triple washed and individually packaged if possible.
*snort*
organic indeed, if i wanted organic id grow it myself.
Dates. Our local has kilo bags of sticky dates for $2 a bag. They come up beautifully in my scones...
Growing your own's the best option. Its just that its a lot of work.

Years ago there used to be a fruit & veg shop, a small grocery, a butcher & a fish n chip shop locally, as well as a dairy. Then the supermarket came, & because this isn't an especially wealthy suburb people bought where things were cheapest - the supermarket.
There's now a mall where the supermarket is & of all those small shops only the dairy is still open. I'd say things would be similar around the country; those with a small income haven't the option of using smaller businesses.
(22-04-2022, 02:27 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]Dates. Our local has kilo bags of sticky dates for $2 a bag. They come up beautifully in my scones...

I haven't had a sticky date for some time  Tongue Blush Crying Tongueout
dates are one of my secret ingredients
drop a couple in a curry, or chopped and added to gravy.
same in the pasta sauce, stews etc.
Pages: 1 2