Too Many Message Boards

Full Version: The next govt will be a National govt...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
With the support of ACT and without requiring the Maori party according to the latest kantar poll.
I bet Jacinda must be concerned.
Im wondering if we will see a return of NZ First.
I really Miss Winston, what gets me is everyone hates him for choosing Jacinda, but at the same time were happy to vote him out and vote Labour anyway!
Ohhhhh I don't know about that CT, I think the Greens are a bit like a slow rolling snowball these days. The more we hear about climate change the more people are starting to realise being Green isn't just for nuts like me.

Be interesting to see how many suitors the Green Party gets between then and now, don't you think? Except, this time round they might not be quite so easily seduced by campaign promises...
it definitely won't be such a walk in the park for Labour this time around... But despite all the haters I do think voters will ultimately recognize that we were lead through a global pandemic admirably and relatively unscathed... Next challenge - Global Recession...
(30-09-2022, 10:43 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]Ohhhhh I don't know about that CT, I think the Greens are a bit like a slow rolling snowball these days. The more we hear about climate change the more people are starting to realise being Green isn't just for nuts like me.

Be interesting to see how many suitors the Green Party gets between then and now, don't you think? Except, this time round they might not be quite so easily seduced by campaign promises...
I dont think I could ever vote them with their ridiculous anti-farming policies.
I was in support of them in their early days when genetic engineering was a hot topic along with legalization of cannabis.

If they actually had sensible policies around farming and cars that didnt penalize people, i might give them a second chance.

Im all for conservation, but it needs to be done right.
(30-09-2022, 12:21 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-09-2022, 10:43 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]Ohhhhh I don't know about that CT, I think the Greens are a bit like a slow rolling snowball these days. The more we hear about climate change the more people are starting to realise being Green isn't just for nuts like me.

I dont think I could ever vote them with their ridiculous anti-farming policies.
I was in support of them in their early days when genetic engineering was a hot topic along with legalization of cannabis.

If they actually had sensible policies around farming and cars that didnt penalize people, i might give them a second chance.

Done so it doesn't upset your comfortable lifestyle?
(30-09-2022, 12:23 PM)Praktica Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-09-2022, 12:21 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: [ -> ]I dont think I could ever vote them with their ridiculous anti-farming policies.

Done so it doesn't upset your comfortable lifestyle?
Mark my words that food prices would skyrocket, no one wants that?
Even Labour doesnt want to push alot of greens policies to the table.
Carbon farming is the main issue that seriously needs addressing, Labour said they were going to fix holes in the system, but we still see land being sold to IKEA for a carbon farm.
Any land that is converted to carbon sinks should be native forest only, and only land thats not viable for food production.

ACT also has a real good policy where overseas efforts into re-forestation will count to your carbon credits, not just planting pines in NZ. I think from a global scale, this is more beneficial.
In fact I think re-forestation is more important than penalizing farmers.

Agreed. We're seeing the results of climate change more in recent times, & it isn't comfortable. The realisation that we can't ignore it is slowly dawning on many who perhaps weren't sure about it. Smile
With the support of ACT and without requiring the Maori party according to the latest kantar poll.
Yes I truly hope so.

voters will ultimately recognize that we were lead through a global pandemic admirably and relatively unscathed... Next challenge - Global Recession...
Yes we were and good on her, but its over and now she has to govern the country which she seems to have trouble doing, she is more interested in telling the UN how other countries should be run and not taking care of her own.
(30-09-2022, 03:29 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: [ -> ]voters will ultimately recognize that we were lead through a global pandemic admirably and relatively unscathed... Next challenge - Global Recession...
Yes we were and good on her, but its over and now she has to govern the country which she seems to have trouble doing, she is more interested in telling the UN how other countries should be run and not taking care of her own.
But to be honest, she probably only needs to do that for a month or so before the election - there is a shit load of middle ground voters out there that will be easily swayed by election bribes on both sides.  Humans have short memories... As long as no-one in the "team" stuffs up Smile
(30-09-2022, 03:29 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: [ -> ]With the support of ACT and without requiring the Maori party according to the latest kantar poll.
Yes I truly hope so.

voters will ultimately recognize that we were lead through a global pandemic admirably and relatively unscathed... Next challenge - Global Recession...

She may have gotten us through covid, but it came at a cost, only time will tell if it was worth it.
The global recession was caused as a result of the whole worlds response to covid.
(30-09-2022, 04:16 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-09-2022, 03:29 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: [ -> ]With the support of ACT and without requiring the Maori party according to the latest kantar poll.
Yes I truly hope so.

She may have gotten us through covid, but it came at a cost, only time will tell if it was worth it.
The global recession was caused as a result of the whole worlds response to covid.
In terms of lives saved, as against the result of letting covid run rampant, then the cost was always going to be worthwhile...  But yes, now comes the inevitable aftermath and trial by public opinion, otherwise known as a general election
The Greens are not anti farming. They are pro improved farming. It would be foolish to be anti farming considering we would all starve without it. But it needs to become better, more efficient, less wasteful, and move - like the rest of us - into a new world that faces an existential threat to the survival of humanity...
(30-09-2022, 04:30 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]The Greens are not anti farming. They are pro improved farming. It would be foolish to be anti farming considering we would all starve without it. But it needs to become better, more efficient, less wasteful, and move - like the rest of us - into a new world that faces an existential threat to the survival of humanity...
and if farmers/producers could be required by law to sell 20% of their product locally that would be a bonus as well.  It's stupid having all this homegrown produce that we all have to pay global market prices just so the rich can get richer.  It will oversupply the NZ market, drive food prices down, and solve some of the food poverty problems.
(30-09-2022, 02:41 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: [ -> ]

Agreed. We're seeing the results of climate change more in recent times, & it isn't comfortable. The realisation that we can't ignore it is slowly dawning on many who perhaps weren't sure about it. Smile
Climate change   killed  off  the inhabitants of Ankor  Wot   , the   water  dried   up & crops failed   ,  man had nothing to do with it  .  Same with mayans In Sth  America   who abandoned their   massive   citys    .    Even antartica  once had plants  growing on it   . millenia  ago     discovered  in the ice cores   nothing puny man can  do will change it
There are organic farmers now, & while they've been around since the 30's, their numbers are increasing. That has to be good for the environment long term.
(30-09-2022, 04:38 PM)king1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-09-2022, 04:30 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]The Greens are not anti farming. They are pro improved farming. It would be foolish to be anti farming considering we would all starve without it. But it needs to become better, more efficient, less wasteful, and move - like the rest of us - into a new world that faces an existential threat to the survival of humanity...
and if farmers/producers could be required by law to sell 20% of their product locally that would be a bonus as well.  It's stupid having all this homegrown produce that we all have to pay global market prices just so the rich can get richer.  It will oversupply the NZ market, drive food prices down, and solve some of the food poverty problems.
As long as those that live on the land and derive their living from it continue to be undervalued members of society nothing will change.

As farmers struggle to survive economically they will want to maximise the returns they derive from their efforts. In the past I grew Organically ceritified avocados. The premium in price they commended saw them airfreighted into the US with the retailers that were supplied them to then asking for the 2nd or 3rd grade fruit (which we weren't allowed to export). The conventional growers were receiving a meagre return for their shipped fruit at the time while we just couldn't come close to supplying demand.

The rest of the world believes in our 'clean, green' image and are prepared to pay top dollar for our produce (certified for authenticity) but that same internationally sort after produce struggles to find willing buyers here at home. It is no wonder that growers yearn after the far more lucrative export market. NZers just fail to recognise the quality of the fruit, veges, meat and fish that is right here on their own doorstep.

Unfortunately "Organics" has been so maligned in the past that it has to fight an uphill battle against synthetically grown produce. The current rise in popularity of 'Regenerative' farming is making headway against Organics negative connotations to the benefit of positive product differentiation and ecological impact.
12 months out there’s no reason to think LABOUR won’t form the next Government

Given how appalling they have been that’s hardly good news , the consolation is the other Major Party is demonstrably worse.

Who in their right mind eants to see Winston Peters be the recipient of any more of the sufferingTax Payers largesse?

Why not endorse Phil Twyford or Gerry Brownlee or John Banks?
(30-09-2022, 12:32 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-09-2022, 12:23 PM)Praktica Wrote: [ -> ]Done so it doesn't upset your comfortable lifestyle?
Mark my words that food prices would skyrocket, no one wants that?
Carbon farming is the main issue that seriously needs addressing, Labour said they were going to fix holes in the system, but we still see land being sold to IKEA for a carbon farm.
Any land that is converted to carbon sinks should be native forest only, and only land thats not viable for food production.

ACT also has a real good policy where overseas efforts into re-forestation will count to your carbon credits, not just planting pines in NZ. I think from a global scale, this is more beneficial.
Agree.  My BILs former farm in the King Country, 1600 acres, has been bought and will be planted in pines as a cabon sink for a large corporate.  The same is happening all over the KC so much so that towns like Taumarunui and Te Kuiti will die in 10 or 15 years completely.  Those pines are flagged never to be harvested - surely in that case natives would be better?  Though of course natives don't grow as fast so would take longer to get carbon credits.
(30-09-2022, 04:24 PM)king1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-09-2022, 04:16 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: [ -> ]She may have gotten us through covid, but it came at a cost, only time will tell if it was worth it.
In terms of lives saved, as against the result of letting covid run rampant, then the cost was always going to be worthwhile...  But yes, now comes the inevitable aftermath and trial by public opinion, otherwise known as a general election
I personally know people who have suffered depression due to almost loosing their business and are near suicide.
All for a virus that has a mortality rate well under 1% in most developed countries.
The social cost is far worse and is still going to hurt us years into the future.
The countries that let it run rampant have gotten over it much earlier and couldnt care less anymore.
(01-10-2022, 09:26 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-09-2022, 12:32 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: [ -> ]Mark my words that food prices would skyrocket, no one wants that?

Agree.  My BILs former farm in the King Country, 1600 acres, has been bought and will be planted in pines as a cabon sink for a large corporate.  The same is happening all over the KC so much so that towns like Taumarunui and Te Kuiti will die in 10 or 15 years completely.  Those pines are flagged never to be harvested - surely in that case natives would be better?  Though of course natives don't grow as fast so would take longer to get carbon credits.
The planting of forests not intended to ever be harvested is also a dead end street in that this would mean no pruning, thinning or usual forest management would be undertaken as it would serve no purpose. This takes away not only the employment opportunities that this would otherwise present but also any economical return on the trees if a decision was ever made to harvest them as the timber would have very little value and good for probably only pulp. Unmanaged pine plantings would be at risk of being smothered by weeds and eventually native species in any case so their value as a carbon sink would be reduced as a result. Or are the carbon farmers required to manage the plantings in this respect?

A diverse planting of native species would come close to pines in terms of carbon sequestration and would also generate habitat for native fauna. The monocultural and much restricted understory environment of a pine forest serves very little purpose in this respect.
Pages: 1 2