Too Many Message Boards

Full Version: Pettiness over red house
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This really is pathetic; their house, their colour choice. Its a beautiful shade of red, & in a world which needs more colour to escape the dreary grey & boring beige I think they've done really well.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/homed...flash-stre

"A newly-painted bach in a multi-million dollar street in Mount Maunganui has sparked controversy with a neighbour comparing the scheme to “mob colours” or a “brothel”, and complaining it could bring down the value of houses in one of the Mount’s most desirable streets.

A neighbour, who did not wish to be named posted on Mount Maunganui’s community message board “Can one object to your neighbour painting their house bright red? Mob red with black gates.”

She said that she had seen the colour swatches beforehand and asked for it not to be painted that colour as it would “devalue our street.”
I am concerned

the colours are associating to gangs and also the devaluation of other houses in the street,” she said.
She
 told Stuff that she had complained to council but they “didn’t care”.

The owner of the little red house, Hamilton woman Lyn Buckley, couldn’t understand why her happy holiday spot and its jovial shade had upset people.
It’s been so stressful listening to talk of it being like gangs – it’s silly that someone would go to that extent just because they don’t like a colour.”
Buckley said one neighbour had contacted her asking her to chanasking her to change it.

We are not going to change it. I tried to talk to them and am just gutted that it has come to this.”
So much for news...
Absolutely pathetic, especially in light of the dreadful, vulgar architecture that dominates most of Mt Maunganui. Red is the least of the crassness..
Saw that, it wasn't ghastly, I have seen much worse colour choices...
I thought it was cool. But red does inflame the senses. I wear it a lot.
(03-11-2022, 05:44 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]I thought it was cool. But red does inflame the senses. I wear it a lot.

I think it should be made illegal to paint houses neutral colours.... Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
It certainly makes giving directions easier - 'It's the red house...'
There's a neat weatherboard house in Wanganui... every second board is a light purple, and the ones between are white. And there's another there that is bright yellow.

The only real downside with the red is it will fade out quicker than some colors. The town I stay in when in Canada is big on apple orchards, so the townsfolk tried to get the water tower painted red. The council refused based on the fast fade.
(03-11-2022, 06:11 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-11-2022, 05:44 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]I thought it was cool. But red does inflame the senses. I wear it a lot.

I think it should be made illegal to paint houses neutral colours.... Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin

The latest craze seems to be black houses. We live in rural North Taranaki and the houses and sheds, barns and other buildings I've seen popping up on lifestyle properties both locally and into the Waikato over the past few years are commonly clad and roofed in black. Our own 9x9m shed has a 'Scoria' red roof and heats up pretty well in the summer so imagine a black building would be stiffling.
(04-11-2022, 08:06 AM)harm_less Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-11-2022, 06:11 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: [ -> ]I think it should be made illegal to paint houses neutral colours.... Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin

The latest craze seems to be black houses. We live in rural North Taranaki and the houses and sheds, barns and other buildings I've seen popping up on lifestyle properties both locally and into the Waikato over the past few years are commonly clad and roofed in black. Our own 9x9m shed has a 'Scoria' red roof and heats up pretty well in the summer so imagine a black building would be stiffling.

will be interesting to see how much fading occurs as well with these dark colours
There have always been occasional black houses. Black can be a "bright" black, but everything today is muted and dull/grey tones. . Sometimes it's quite subtle. A colour that looks "light" can still be far from "bright" and some of the furnishing colours are quite hard to match without staying in the dull tones. DH calls them suicide colours and won't use them.

I hope the red house doesn't fade too much too soon, or at least that it fades to a nice colour. Time will tell.
Might not be everybodys cup of tea, but its their house and they can do anything they like to it.
It looks like its an older house that is not part of a subdivision with stupid covenants, likely there is a new development or next door i suspect.
Ive seen way worse in the area, even in one of the newer subdivisions there was a house painted a bright blue, im not sure if its still that colour or not, will try and find it.
(04-11-2022, 09:03 AM)SueDonim Wrote: [ -> ]There have always been occasional black houses. Black can be a "bright" black, but everything today is muted and dull/grey tones. . Sometimes it's quite subtle. A colour that looks "light" can still be far from "bright" and some of the furnishing colours are quite hard to match without staying in the dull tones. DH calls them suicide colours and won't use them.

I hope the red house doesn't fade too much too soon, or at least that it fades to a nice colour. Time will tell.

Ive seen a fair bit of black and/or dark grey homes around in recent, it seems to be a more popular colour.
One of our neighbours painted their nice 1960s brick home a dark grey and it looks horrible, then they go and put it on the market, I think they would have got more money if they left the original bricks, but seems the in thing to do is to paint these older homes in these "trendy" colours.
The neighbor must think she is an entitled Karen trying to tell the owner what colour to paint the house.
(04-11-2022, 10:12 AM)Oldfellah Wrote: [ -> ]The neighbor must think she is an entitled Karen trying to tell the owner what colour to paint the house.
It's a Mount Maunganui thing. From my experience living in the Tauranga area some years back 'the Mount' postcode includes an unhealthy dose of entitledness.
(04-11-2022, 03:59 AM)girlgeorgina Wrote: [ -> ]There's a neat weatherboard house in Wanganui... every second board is a light purple, and the ones between are white. And there's another there that is bright yellow.

The only real downside with the red is it will fade out quicker than some colors. The town I stay in when in Canada is big on apple orchards, so the townsfolk tried to get the water tower painted red. The council refused based on the fast fade.

I love the sound of those two colours together on a house. 

I have a loathing of grey thanks to a truly hideous school uniform, & its so fashionable these days that it seems to be everywhere. And those that aren't dreary grey are inevitably beige.
More colour would I'm sure, lift people's spirits - it always cheers me up to see a non grey or beige house but they're few & far between.

Perhaps each city should encourage the use of more colour for houses; the most colourful suburb could win some kind of prize. Smile

(04-11-2022, 10:32 AM)harm_less Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-11-2022, 10:12 AM)Oldfellah Wrote: [ -> ]The neighbor must think she is an entitled Karen trying to tell the owner what colour to paint the house.
It's a Mount Maunganui thing. From my experience living in the Tauranga area some years back 'the Mount' postcode includes an unhealthy dose of entitledness.

There used to be a children's book my kids had, The big orange splot. I just looked it up & apparently its now used to teach kids philosophy

https://www.prindleinstitute.org/books/t...nge-splot/

"Summary

This is the story of a man in conformist suburbia who learns to embrace his own individuality.
Mr. Plumbean lives on a street where all the houses look the same, and everyone likes it that way. Everything changes when a seagull splashes orange paint on Mr. Plumbean’s house. He decides to paint his house to reflect his colorful dreams. Although the neighbors are upset at first, one by one they talk to Mr. Plumbean. He convinces them to use their imaginations to transform their own houses to reflect their dreams."
People can paint their houses whatever colour they want as far as I am concerned, but that house is revolting.
I think it was Gerhard Richter who said 'grey was the colour of nothing'. It is a favoured colour with our corporate LL and the refurbed units done with it, carpet and drapes, are depressing spaces.

Or should I say, more depressing.

But colour does scare corporates...
(04-11-2022, 01:39 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]I think it was Gerhard Richter who said 'grey was the colour of nothing'. It is a favoured colour with our corporate LL and the refurbed units done with it, carpet and drapes, are depressing spaces.

Or should I say, more depressing.

But colour does scare corporates...

I think it does; most of the rebuild here in the central city are dreary depressing grey.  Timidity, most of it, I suspect.

A tutor I had years ago said that grey was the colour of deception, & quite a lot of banks have grey prominently....
Banks like? ASB? TSB? BNZ? ANZ? SBS? Kiwi Bank?

Which one of those banks has grey as their prominent colour?
Pages: 1 2