Too Many Message Boards

Full Version: Trade Me reviews
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It seems that the masses are mostly not impressed by Trade Me's levels of service: https://nz.trustpilot.com/review/www.trademe.co.nz
I have found TM staffers to be excellent at dealing with or helping me deal with the few problem trades I have had over the many years I have played on the site. Just recently I have had TM make up the shortfall of a refund I was owed by a dishonest trader, they have chased up a trade I made that suffered buyers remorse and refunded my fees without question, and given me great advice with a delivery delay that just went on and on and on and on...

Maybe I'm just lucky. Or maybe TM staffers aren't as bad as some make them out to be...
A lot of those reviews are for circumstances beyond trademe's control, placed by people who don't understand how an auction works. It also has the feel of a campaign - mostly 1 star reviews, some with no detail, just moaning.
(15-01-2023, 09:23 AM)Praktica Wrote: [ -> ]A lot of those reviews are for circumstances beyond trademe's control, placed by people who don't understand how an auction works. It also has the feel of a campaign - mostly 1 star reviews, some with no detail, just moaning.

The site is actually just an excuse to data collect...
(15-01-2023, 09:23 AM)Praktica Wrote: [ -> ]A lot of those reviews are for circumstances beyond trademe's control, placed by people who don't understand how an auction works. It also has the feel of a campaign - mostly 1 star reviews, some with no detail, just moaning.
Any review site is typically dominated by very good and very bad posts. TripAdvisor is a prime example. Most people see no reason to post a review unless they are either very impressed or very bitter about the entity they have dealt with which is why the polarisation occurs.
Seriously TM support is terrible, takes days to get a response and has been poor when I do hear back, often getting redirected to other departments.
I sold a DSLR camera system on Tardme 3 or 4 years back. A fairly new, (rarely) user at the time. Sold the goods but they did a check on me. That was OK and I was in favour of that sort of security checks. They put the buyer's payment into their Ping (or Pong?) system until I had been cleared. That also was OK by me and I was duly given the OK to get my dosh.

Then they wanted to charge me to withdraw my own money from Ping or Pong (whatever its name?) Had to tell them to stick that where the monkeys hide their peanuts!

After a certain amount of back and forth with threats of lots of negative publicity to them, I was grudgingly paid out the full amount. And some of these poorly managed companies wonder why they are disliked, sometimes hated. Not a word of apology

Ken Sad
I read a few pages of those reviews. As said above, some are people who don't understand how things should work. Some look legitimate and concerning but overall a couple of hundred negatives out of the number of trades and transactions on TradeMe every day is pretty good. It's like when you check a seller's feedback. When sellers have 10s of thousands of trades, a 99.6% rating looks good but can translate to hundreds of blues and reds. You read them to get a feel for whether there's a real problem, or whether 0.4% of trades simply went bad for reasons out of anyone's control. Same for TradeMe itself I think. I do more and more general shopping there precisely because it is a relatively safe place to do it. I have never had to contact TM support for any reason. I'm surprised at those in the Trust Pilot reviews recommending Facebook. That really is a dangerous place to go.
(16-01-2023, 02:32 PM)SueDonim Wrote: [ -> ] I'm surprised at those in the Trust Pilot reviews recommending Facebook. That really is a dangerous place to go.

Scammers placing fake trademe reviews, to push mugs to facebook?
(16-01-2023, 03:06 PM)Praktica Wrote: [ -> ]
(16-01-2023, 02:32 PM)SueDonim Wrote: [ -> ] I'm surprised at those in the Trust Pilot reviews recommending Facebook. That really is a dangerous place to go.

Scammers placing fake trademe reviews, to push mugs to facebook?

Good point, and probably exactly right. There was an article yesterday about a caravan being "sold" by scammers multiple times.