Too Many Message Boards

Full Version: Difficult buyer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just sold a car part, they asked if they could offer me $500 which i accepted, now they say they found the same part at a wreckers for hallf the price and asking if I would match it?
Should I just walk away from the trade? Ive told them that this part has been refirbushed with a new motor and that I doubt the used part at the wreckers has had this done, I also explained the costs involved.
Why bother bidding?
Walk away. They are trying it on.
(03-02-2023, 01:35 PM)nzoomed Wrote: [ -> ]Just sold a car part, they asked if they could offer me $500 which i accepted, now they say they found the same part at a wreckers for hallf the price and asking if I would match it?
Should I just walk away from the trade? Ive told them that this part has been refirbushed with a new motor and that I doubt the used part at the wreckers has had this done, I also explained the costs involved.
Why bother bidding?
Walk away, they're playing games. If they get pissy about it blacklist them. If "accepting the offer" is by doing Buy Now contact TM for a success fee refund.

I assume this discussion is in the listing's Q&A so your defence by telling them the part is of improved condition may well coax other buyers to get on board.
(03-02-2023, 02:27 PM)harm_less Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-02-2023, 01:35 PM)nzoomed Wrote: [ -> ]Just sold a car part, they asked if they could offer me $500 which i accepted, now they say they found the same part at a wreckers for hallf the price and asking if I would match it?
Why bother bidding?
Walk away, they're playing games. If they get pissy about it blacklist them. If "accepting the offer" is by doing Buy Now contact TM for a success fee refund.

I assume this discussion is in the listing's Q&A so your defence by telling them the part is of improved condition may well coax other buyers to get on board.

Yeah, the auction had in the description that it had a new motor installed.
Its not the sort of part that will be easy to move on, but if i keep relisting I should get another buyer. Its taken me about 3 months to have even sold it this time round.
Its not worth my time with the trade, anyway the buyer got back and said they "understand" but would rather go for the cheaper part they have found.
I will grab my success fee and blacklist, my question is about feedback, leave a blue face? I wasted enough time getting it packed up and wrapped in bubblewrap.
probably not worth the paper its written on but...

5.1 Bidding and buying
You should only place a bid if you intend to buy the Item at the price entered. Remember, placing the winning bid creates a legal contract between you and the Seller where you agree to complete the trade.

https://help.trademe.co.nz/hc/en-us/arti...conditions

I might also be slow to blacklist them, just in case his other deal falls through, or he was actually trying it on you...
I agree blacklist, but don't leave feedback, neutral or red. Wait. Respond if necessary when the buyer leaves feedback, and document everything in case they tell TM staff a load of bull when they go to them about the failed trade.

Lot of these dodgy buyers around these days, I had one just recently. Vultures circling a dying website?
Yeah I typically don't bother with leaving feedback, but unfortunately it's required or else that's the while problem on TM is if people are afraid of retaliatory feedback the whole system has failed. How many other bad trades might this trader have had previously but there is no feedback to Indicate?
Perhaps TM could have a counter for trades that didn't go through or something?
I leave good feedback always, but rarely use neutrals or negs except to communicate with folk who aren't responding to emails. That generally gets action, like the last one who put feedback on me telling me I was pushy. I sure am with slow to pay non communicating bargain hunters, lol...

But I see no reason to do that to even the worst traders, they soon show themselves up without my help. I don't believe poking the bear has any positives. Trades that are not completed usually score a note from TM, so no need for me to put the boot in, and if I get unjustified fbk TM are usually pretty quick to remove it.

But great trades get great fbk, for me that is way more important.
Yeah, Ive only place a red face once, ironically it quickly got compliance from the buyer and I got rid of the item real fast with no issues and i then changed it to a happy face!
Right now the bigger issue im having is with TM itself, you try and apply for a refund and you will likely find the link is broken!
Trying to contact TM is a joke.
(06-02-2023, 01:12 PM)nzoomed Wrote: [ -> ]Trying to contact TM is a joke.
As is the level of customer support you receive once you do manage to contact them. You would expect CS to be knowledgeable on TMs own T&C but from experience a big fail in that regard. As useless as a knitted condom based on my dealings with them.
That isn't my experience. I recently applied for a fees refund after a buyer decided the item wasn't as good as she wanted and I refunded her on its return plus a contribution towards shipping costs. I simply hit the request fee refund option, and a week or so later it appeared in my account after TM tried to contact her without a response.

Twice lately T M has backed me up on Ping purchases that went wrong.

Then there was the time someone told me it was a fees free weekend, I listed and sold an item, only to be charged. I queried it with TM and discovered that fees free thing wasn't for all sellers, but T M refunded their chunky fees anyway, which I though was above and beyond really...

So, I have no complaints about the service I have received. Big Grin
Sold a vehicle recently and had a buyer (at 3:20am) hit Buy Now and then ignored all attempts at contact. In my attempt to make contact with the buyer CS at TM suggested applying for a success fee refund which I had to inform her don't exist for motor vehicle sales, just an up front listing fee which she needed to waive for the relisting.

What use are T&Cs if the staff at TM aren't even conversant with them?
Im still waiting to hear back, their guide seems to be outdated as the links to click on for requesting a refund are not even there!
(07-02-2023, 02:27 PM)nzoomed Wrote: [ -> ]Im still waiting to hear back, their guide seems to be outdated as the links to click on for requesting a refund are not even there!
I got the quickest response by using the Chat function that pops up on the bottom LH corner of the screen at times. The quality of that response was questionable though as per my earlier comment.

And yes the functionality of TM's website seems to be 'nailed together' these days. As little effort and expense being put into it by the present owners as is possible?
I got it sorted, took a few days to get a response, but at least they have sorted it all now. Smile