Too Many Message Boards

Full Version: TV Ads
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Which TV Ads grind your gears?
Ones I dislike the most are the Mother Nature ones specificaly when the guy runs out of power in his EV and the power outlet doesnt reach his car to top it up , and then along comes Mother Nature to sort it all out!

The Electric Kiwi ad where the word broadband is used several times in a monotone sound that is supposed to be singing and they are playing cricket in the back yard.

I do have several others I could rave on about but what are yours?
All of them! The odd one I tolerate and they usually have animals in them.
I love the earlier Mother Nature one, not so much the one with the short power cord though.

Just at present, the ones about prison officers are intensely annoying - apparently, they've suddenly become saint-like creatures (who, you might easily believe going by the ads no longer lock people up) are spend their working lives helping the unfortunate beings who've gone wrong.

And the one with the child having sunscreen put on, who has an apparent inability to pronounce the word great so we're told that something is a 'grey reminder' fgs!

I generally keep a book handy for ad breaks but every so often, still manage to see one.
Those dreadful Seniors Funeral Ins ads. I even bought a policy, but did they stop? Nah...
the one choice adverts are all cringe worthy, followed not far behind by the pun laden NZ seniors adverts.

and then, any emotional tear jerky, tugging at the heart strings adverts - just can't take them seriously knowing they just want to sell you stuff or otherwise extract money from your wallet
The dog with three legs and the man with one is a shot through the heart for me.

I tear up if I pay attention, I have to look away. We have two dogs that will communicate at this level with us.
Agree on the "Mother Nature" front. I note the fact that she's lazy and only wants to steer the car while he pushes it.

Also the Corrections Dept ones full of silly stereotypes. They are not really doing themselves any favours.

I do like the petfood ad with the animals including two cats swinging their tails in unison.
I avoid the ads by recording the Freeview programs that I want to watch. The only thing we watch live is the 6pm news and occasionally Parliament.
Oh c'mon! Any woman in those boots would want to be in the drivers seat, not pushing the blardy thing...

Heart Heart Heart Heart
(23-02-2023, 02:12 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]On c'mon! Any woman in those boots would want to be in the drivers seat, not pushing the blardy thing...

Heart Heart Heart Heart

But of course - should be obvious. 

Gorgeous, those boots.... Smile Heart
Boots might be nice, shame about the rest of the outfit  Big Grin

Then there is the one where the guy is painting the fence and gets transported underground because that is where the fiber is

The Westpac one with the monster and the boy making a boat, seems so silly
"The Westpac one with the monster and the boy making a boat, seems so silly"

Yes agreed that's a particularly annoying one, also the one where they are paying a toll, presumably the life of a little one I find very ominous and in bad taste, in a fruitless attempt to get the road toll down which as I have posted before may be an impossible task given the complexity of the road network and the number of people using it.

Even with everybody driving perfectly, (an impossibility), there will still be accidents caused by unforeseen vagaries of the roads and circumstances.
(23-02-2023, 02:08 PM)Olive Wrote: [ -> ]I avoid the ads by recording the Freeview programs that I want to watch.  The only thing we watch live is the 6pm news and occasionally Parliament.

I'm with you, Olive. I, too, record programmes that I want to watch and then fast forward through the commercials. And if I do watch something live - like you and the 6pm news - I have the remote handy and mute the sound of the ads.

I have no idea what everybody is saying about the ads that they like or dislike as I have no idea what the ads are about as I just don't watch them and so have no likes or dislikes except for the fact that I dislike them all. Unfortunately they are a fact of television watching - someone has to pay for the running of the TV station. Thankfully that is not me.

But then watching TV is not a big part of my day - I usually only watch for two or three hours in the evening starting with the 6pm news and then one of the programmes I have recorded earlier in the day. I have a hobby that keeps me going most of the time which I find much more interesting than the ads on TV, so I have no intention of getting into a discussion about good or bad ads. To me they are all bad but are a necessary evil and are to be avoided.
I stream all my TV, and you only get a couple of short ads occasionally through a show, you can't go and make a cup of tea during the ad break. I'm a bit sick of Tina...I think she is from Turners.
Hell yes Tina from Turners, that one is crap, I had forgotten about that one.
The dire New world one where that woman confides in a whisper that, yes indeed she can afford to shop at New world after all - yes indeed & I'm Marie of Romania!
the stupid KFC (head stuck in the balcony railing), all Pizza and Burger King adverts - I know they're trying to make it cool and fun to encourage buyers, probably targeting the younger market, but to me they basically imply that only complete morons buy takeaways...
(23-02-2023, 06:15 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: [ -> ]Hell yes Tina from Turners, that one is crap, I had forgotten about that one.

So obviously the ad makers have done their job well by making you annoyed about that ad - you remember it well enough to make a rude comment about it. If you don't buy their product at least they are happy you are talking about their ad and it may persuade others to purchase their goods. 

There are three types of ads: the ones people like and the ones people hate - they are the best because they are remembered and are more likely to entice people to buy their products. The bad ads are the ones in between the perceived good and the bad which no one remembers and would not purchase their products.  

But I'm astonished that you find the time and make the effort to comment on the ads. I am not interested in the ads, I never watch them and I do not intend to get into a discussion about which ones are good or bad. The people that do talk about them have been sucked in by the advertisers so they have achieved their objective. You remember their product so you might even buy it.
(24-02-2023, 11:56 AM)Roscoe Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-02-2023, 06:15 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: [ -> ]Hell yes Tina from Turners, that one is crap, I had forgotten about that one.

I am not interested in the ads, I never watch them and I do not intend to get into a discussion about which ones are good or bad. The people that do talk about them have been sucked in by the advertisers so they have achieved their objective. You remember their product so you might even buy it.

Not so, any business that inflicts bad advertising on me never sees a cent...  I simply have a brand I can exclude when I look for alternative products. 

Sometimes unfortunately there are adverts you just can't block - 3 News and the AM show where I mainly see them...
I read somewhere that the ads we either love or hate are actually ineffective - we concentrate on our enjoyment or distaste and forget what the product was.
Pages: 1 2