Too Many Message Boards

Full Version: PING
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Whats everyones opinion on PING, as a seller mainly but also buyers

Listed a hard drive for sale and someone asked for PIng payment "for buyer/seller protections"

But reading up on the Ping Ts & Cs, i'm not seeing a lot of Seller protections in there.  What it does suggest is trademe can reverse the sale in favour of the buyer and take the payment back off me as the seller.  Not real keen on that for second hand goods... 

Don't think i'll be doing that again...  probably no surprise with trademe, now it is there I can't remove it as an option... Fingers crossed I guess
(16-03-2023, 11:26 AM)king1 Wrote: [ -> ]Whats everyones opinion on PING, as a seller mainly but also buyers

Listed a hard drive for sale and someone asked for PIng payment "for buyer/seller protections"

But reading up on the Ping Ts & Cs, i'm not seeing a lot of Seller protections in there.  What it does suggest is trademe can reverse the sale in favour of the buyer and take the payment back off me as the seller.  Not real keen on that for second hand goods... 

Don't think i'll be doing that again...  probably no surprise with trademe, now it is there I can't remove it as an option... Fingers crossed I guess
To me it seems like a half arsed attempt at how PayPal works on Ebay. Apart from the extra commission cost giving Trade Me that level of access to credit card details doesn't appeal to me having suffered a substantial CC fraud in the past with TM being one of very few websites I'd trusted with my CC's CCV number around that time (which was back when TM stored CC details by default).

The competence of TM's customer service reps doesn't inspire confidence in their being able to reverse payments in any case.
I've used it for buying things on TM & haven't had any problem with it. Its quicker & easier than depositing into someone's bank.
(16-03-2023, 02:19 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: [ -> ]I've used it for buying things on TM & haven't had any problem with it. Its quicker & easier than depositing into someone's bank.
Yes, it's geared to the buyer's advantage but takes away some of the seller's rights. We accept PayPal for TM sales which allows the buyer to use their credit card but as TM makes up less than 1% of our turnover it's not a big deal for us in any case. Just prefer not to have some buyer with an attitude able to convince a TM rep to refund funds from our account.

I'm also happy to do a bank transfer or reenter CC details each time we buy on TM rather than allow TM to store our payment details. Last CC fraud we suffered was ~$1,900 which took 3 months for Visa to refund so we had to carry that amount for that time and I'm not keen on risking that situation again as much as I can help it.
I like it as a buyer, it is fast, easier than farting around with bank details etc, and protects my money.

As a seller? Nope, not a hope.
(16-03-2023, 03:31 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]I like it as a buyer, it is fast, easier than farting around with bank details etc, and protects my money.

As a seller? Nope, not a hope.

I agree have used it for that before myself... I'm just a bit ticked off that the trader suggested it was for my protection as well, when there seems to be absolutely nothing in it for the seller other than making the sale easier for prospective buyers.  That and the fact I can no longer deactivate it...
As a buyer, yes, I use it all the time for the quick convenience of the transaction being done immediately. I have let them save my CC number - I figure that's less risk than entering it every time and I've never had a problem.

Occasionally I buy something from someone not using Ping and it's fine so long as their bank details come through OK. I've had several that didn't. So a seller waiting for me to pay and me waiting for the seller to tell me how. I give them 48 hours then email to say that I will pay as soon as they give me the info. It's a TM/seller problem, not my email.

As an occasional seller, I won't use Ping because of the extra cost.
(16-03-2023, 04:49 PM)SueDonim Wrote: [ -> ]As a buyer, yes, I use it all the time for the quick convenience of the transaction being done immediately. I have let them save my CC number - I figure that's less risk than entering it every time and I've never had a problem.
As there's some ambiguity as to whether agreeing to TM storing CC details includes allowing TM to override the law involving storing ccv numbers I'm not prepared to take that risk.  

There is solid reason that it is internationally illegal for a vendor to store ccv numbers (without the permission of the card holder) and TM don't devulge one way or the other on this. Incidentally the CC fraud we were hit with included our ccv number as I confirmed this by contacting the UK jewellery store that our card details were used at. The list of merchants I had been required to use my ccv number with in the months preceeding our 'hit' was very short but included TM.
(16-03-2023, 09:33 PM)harm_less Wrote: [ -> ]
(16-03-2023, 04:49 PM)SueDonim Wrote: [ -> ]As a buyer, yes, I use it all the time for the quick convenience of the transaction being done immediately. I have let them save my CC number - I figure that's less risk than entering it every time and I've never had a problem.
As there's some ambiguity as to whether agreeing to TM storing CC details includes allowing TM to override the law involving storing ccv numbers I'm not prepared to take that risk.  

There is solid reason that it is internationally illegal for a vendor to store ccv numbers (without the permission of the card holder) and TM don't devulge one way or the other on this. Incidentally the CC fraud we were hit with included our ccv number as I confirmed this by contacting the UK jewellery store that our card details were used at. The list of merchants I had been required to use my ccv number with in the months preceeding our 'hit' was very short but included TM.

Thanks for that. TM often asks for my TM password when I make purchases (not always) but has never asked for the CVV so I must have let them save it at sometime and I understand what you are saying about the risk. I have deleted my CC number from TM and next time I make a purchase I'll make sure they aren't saving the CVV.

In general practice I think there are risks both ways - letting a company save the number means there's a risk if they get their database stolen, which I did have happen once at least 10 years ago. On the other hand, if I don't let vendors save the number then there's a risk of it being picked up every time I enter it, although I do have anti-tracking turned on.

When I was a victim of a database theft, it was a US company and they let me know that their customer list had been compromised. All my bank did was change the expiry date on the card, and then the next time the card was re-issued it reverted to the original month of expiry which bothered me at the time but I thought that since the bank did it it was their problem if anything went wrong. Which it never did.
I thought everyone was aware that PING is the acronym for Profit Inspired Noxious Greed.