Too Many Message Boards

Full Version: Australia to allow Kiwis become citizens more easily
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
From July this year - it can't have been that damn difficult if they've managed it this quickly. And it has to be said :"About bloody time, Australia."

Smile

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic...licy-shift

"Here's what you need to know

• [b]Rights come into effect on July 1, 2023.[/b]
  • [b]Applies to Kiwis on temporary, special category, visas who have lived in Australia for four years, and meet the standard Australian citizenship criteria (e.g. pass a character check, adequate knowledge of Australia, a basic English competency, will continue to reside in or have a connection with Australia) and attend a citizenship ceremony.[/b]
  • [b]Is retrospective. Those in Australia since 2001 will be able to apply directly for citizenship without gaining permanent residence first.[/b]
  • [b]Is affordable (the fee is A$490).[/b]
  • [b]Has no minimum income requirement or health requirement.[/b]
  • [b]Gives Kiwis access to services and benefits, once they become citizens.[/b]

• [b]Allows Kiwi children born in Australia to become citizens at birth (rather than waiting till they turn 10, as they do now).[/b]
From July, New Zealand citizens who have lived in Australia for four years on the current temporary, special category visa provided to all New Zealanders will be able to directly apply for citizenship, without first having to become a permanent resident.
Applicants will have to pass a character check and basic English test, demonstrate “adequate knowledge” of Australia, and pay a fee of A$490, or NZ$534.
The change largely unwinds a decision in 2001 that restricted New Zealanders’ access to citizenship and social service payments.

Oz Kiwi Association chairperson Joanne Cox, speaking before the announcement, said she expected to be “very happy” with the changes. Her advocacy group had been working closely with senior Labor Party figures to change the immigration rules for years.
She said the 2001 changes to New Zealanders’ status had caused “immense hardship, disenfranchisement, disadvantage, just terrible, terrible things”.
Everything's fine until it goes bad, and then it's too late.”
This is such a good thing for my little family in Perth. At last they will have access to the same services those Ozzies they live and work with take for granted. It will make their lives so much better, and so much less complicated.
We should be looked after considering the tax income from the 700000 Kiwis living there. Aussie politicians have been getting a free ride for so long.

Daughter went there and has lived there since 2000. I think she has access to some services as she was there before they re-wrote their laws.
It was a mean spirited move on their part; & they'd have been the first to complain had we done that to their people. I can imagine their comments, & 'pissing all over the spirit of the ANZACS' would surely have been mentioned.
Thank goodness for some fairness & commonsense at last.

Now then OZ - about those 501's.. & those poor refugees while you're at it. You can do it, just behave like decent humans as you have with this. Smile
(22-04-2023, 03:03 PM)Kenj Wrote: [ -> ]We should be looked after considering the tax income from the 700000 Kiwis living there. Aussie politicians have been getting a free ride for so long.

Daughter went there and has lived there since 2000. I think she has access to some services as she was there before they re-wrote their laws.

Yes, my Rose does too, but still needs to top up from insurance. Tg they have it because her MS was not predictable. On top of all the assisted fertility stuff they have faced some enormous costs. Just as well he earns the big bucks.

It must be impossible without that kind of earning ability. Like here...
Aussie is not so bad I guess, except for the Skippys that are popping up wherever you go . . . .
Wink

Most of Austraflaminalia is okay, except that North Island above Launceston, or the bit in cities.
Wink
To many Aussies live there
(22-04-2023, 08:45 PM)Kenj Wrote: [ -> ]To many Aussies live there

Well, there is that - but better there than here. Big Grin Rolleyes