Too Many Message Boards

Full Version: Trademe automatically picks the category...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone notice how TM sometimes wants to think for you automatically and just narrow your search down to a particular category without actually asking?
I find it quite annoying, Im not sure if there is a setting that turns this off or not, need to take a look. Basically what happens is at times you will search for any random item and it will direct you to a search in motors and you have to manually switch categories yourself.
i find most things I search for it will give results from the most popular category with an option to search all of trademe. Usually it gets it right, but not always
Been doing that for a long time...
Yes, I've noticed it too. Very often not right for what I search for, and frustrating when the next search stays in the same wrong category.

What else is amusing/annoying is the search alerts going well-wide of the subject. Eg I have one in for carpet. It gives me carpet, but also other flooring. Carpet--> carpet tiles is fair enough, but it then translates carpet tiles --> vinyl tiles and vinyl--> vinyl records at the bottom of the list. The search engine itself is bad enough, the search alert set-up just gets silly.
(24-04-2023, 07:40 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]Been doing that for a long time...

So, it's not just a dumb search algorithm, it's slow as well?

It easily qualifies for a position at NZPost's "Someone Please Help Me" Desk
Tongue
Yeah its been doing it for a while, it sometimes gets it right, but I typically like to select the category and narrow it down afterwards depending on what categories show the most listings. Its a big problem with some items where sellers are unsure to list and you often can find them listed across many different categories.
And often in the wrong category. Like that bloody nuisance of a tyre dealer who lists repeatedly - despite being told - in Antique Textiles of all places.

Lazy fuckwit.

This twit...

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/...f=ut4yeOLE
(29-04-2023, 11:33 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]And often in the wrong category. Like that bloody nuisance of a tyre dealer who lists repeatedly - despite being told - in Antique Textiles of all places.

Lazy fuckwit.

This twit...

{Beware, OT}

Sometimes tyre dealers can be sufficiently inept to rise above mere car dealers and glide upward into anonymity among the political advisers and whatever they call "personnel  representatives" these days. (Less the rude bits of course.) Sorry if I offended the possibly offensive, it's been a week of dealing with multiple Gov't help desks. It's quite easy to pick up bad habits re politeness, or the lack there-of.   (People who've died have no idea just how lucky they are . . .)

Tongue
(29-04-2023, 11:33 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]And often in the wrong category. Like that bloody nuisance of a tyre dealer who lists repeatedly - despite being told - in Antique Textiles of all places.

Lazy fuckwit.

This twit...

I often see many items in the wrong category, mostly from large retailers too. I often question whether its deliberate or not.
Would that habit indicate they recognise that nobody would look for their stuff and buy it if there are alternatives visible so they find people would only buy it by accident, or possibly while under the influence?
Just perhaps his tyres are judged only fit for the old rag bin?
Wink

Lazy fuckwit.

This twit...

i find it rather fascinating there is someone selling a brand of plush toy, and only seems to list them in the 18+ section. really annoying when 1.5 pages are results for a completely different type of toy...
Which reminds me, I must check new listings, lol....