Too Many Message Boards

Full Version: Medicine for racists
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
They're sick people who can apparently recover. With the correct medication.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20230...supremacis

"In February 2020, Harriet de Wit, a professor of psychiatry and behavioural science at the University of Chicago, was running an experiment on whether the drug MDMA increased the [b]pleasantness of social touch[/b] in healthy volunteers. The day was proceeding like any other Tuesday when Mike Bremmer, de Wit's research assistant, appeared at her office door with a concerned look on his face.

The latest participant in the double-blind trial, a man named Brendan, had filled out a standard questionnaire at the end. Strangely, at the very bottom of the form, Brendan had written in bold letters: "This experience has helped me sort out a debilitating personal issue. Google my name. I now know what I need to do."

"Seeing this cryptic message, both Bremmer and de Wit were worried. "We really have to look into this," de Wit said. They googled Brendan's name, and up popped a disturbing revelation: until just a couple of months before, Brendan had been the leader of the US Midwest faction of Identity Evropa, a notorious white nationalist group rebranded in 2019 as the American Identity Movement.

De Wit was now very worried. She'd just given a drug to a disgraced white supremacist, she realised, and had apparently inspired him to do who knows what out in the world. "Go ask him what he means by 'I now know what I need to do,'" she instructed Bremmer. "If it's a matter of him picking up an automatic rifle or something, we have to intervene."

A murderous spree turned out to be the opposite of what Brendan had in mind. As he clarified to Bremmer, love is what he had just realised he had to do. "Love is the most important thing," he told the baffled research assistant. "Nothing matters without love."
When de Wit recounted this story to me nearly two years after the fact, she still could hardly believe it. "Isn't that amazing?" she said. "It's what everyone says about this damn drug, that it makes people feel love. To think that a drug could change somebody's beliefs and thoughts without any expectations – it's mind-boggling."

Could someone please slip a healthy dose of this into Putin's cuppa...??

And really, why stop there - perhaps all the extreme far right/ violent/religious nutters etc etc could be helped by  a good stiff dose of it, perhaps we ought to have it in out water supply with all those other things they add.

Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
Apparently mushrooms have a similar effect. Some mushrooms that is.
(30-06-2023, 05:39 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]Apparently mushrooms have a similar effect. Some mushrooms that is.

Hmmm... wonders idly whether or not it might be possible to gather all the world's politicians together for a special dinner, celebrating Peace & Love.
Imagine...

Rolleyes Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
Castor oil?
(01-07-2023, 11:50 AM)Praktica Wrote: [ -> ]Castor oil?

Excellent idea - but given all the world's politicians, would there be enough?? Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin