Too Many Message Boards

Full Version: That 30 kph thing...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We've recently had broad swathes of red paint added to our little suburban road, with new signage to declare 30kph to enter the street, with 50kph to exit, and we are not alone. These changes, along with raising pedestrian crossings are all part of the move to 'calm' traffic in our towns and suburbs, and are being met with vast outrage from among the masses. I say 'among' because there is one thing every single critic has in common.

They all drive cars.

Big Grin
Most people do. The race to change speed limits is one of the most stupid aspects of the road to zero. Which in itself is stupid and totally unachievable.

Sure make streets by schools 30kph but there's no reason that all residential streets should be 30kph.
(10-07-2023, 11:44 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]We've recently had broad swathes of red paint added to our little suburban road, with new signage to declare 30kph to enter the street, with 50kph to exit, and we are not alone. These changes, along with raising pedestrian crossings are all part of the move to 'calm' traffic in our towns and suburbs, and are being met with vast outrage from among the masses. I say 'among' because there is one thing every single critic has in common.

They all drive cars.

Big Grin

Oh the poor dears! Forced to slow down in order to calm traffic - they're sure to be late for absolutely everything now & all because of those dreadful non driving people. Rolleyes Rolleyes Big Grin
I think maybe a sense of entitlement comes with car ownership. A few months of being without one is inclined to enlighten people about the reasons traffic needs calming.

Might also improve the maintenance of footpaths, lol...
(10-07-2023, 01:01 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]I think maybe a sense of entitlement comes with car ownership. A few months of being without one is inclined to enlighten people about the reasons traffic needs calming.

Mind you - the roads aren't much better. Loads of potholes everywhere; the goof thing about being on a bike is that you can at least see the damn things.
(10-07-2023, 12:20 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: [ -> ]Most people do.  The race to change speed limits is one of the most stupid aspects of the road to zero.  Which in itself is stupid and totally unachievable.

Sure make streets by schools 30kph but there's no reason that all residential streets should be 30kph.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/waikato...-car-crash

Exclamation
(10-07-2023, 03:30 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-07-2023, 12:20 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: [ -> ]Most people do.  The race to change speed limits is one of the most stupid aspects of the road to zero.  Which in itself is stupid and totally unachievable.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/waikato...-car-crash

Exclamation

And what speed was the car ACTUALLY doing?  Because by the look of it far faster than the 50kph limit.  So if the limit was 30 but they were still traveling 100kph would the result be the same?
My point is speed makes human fallibility worse. So slowing down is just plain sensible.

Economical too. Every road death costs millions.
(10-07-2023, 01:01 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]I think maybe a sense of entitlement comes with car ownership. A few months of being without one is inclined to enlighten people about the reasons traffic needs calming.

Most of the time I either walk, cycle, bus or train.  We own only 1 car and certainly don't feel entitled.  

I can go faster than 30 kph on my ebike.  Twice that on my escooter.

If speed limits are reduced it will also impact bus services so less trips.  Less trip will mean less people will take them and mean more cars.

(10-07-2023, 06:01 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]My point is speed makes human fallibility worse. So slowing down is just plain sensible.

Economical too. Every road death costs millions.

Yes to the first point and to a certain point the second. 

However a 30kph speed limit won't stop those like in the story you posted.

It is definitely more fuel efficient to travel at say 90kph as opposed to 100 or 110.  But the difference between 30kph and 50kph is negligible at best and due to lower gears being used likely to be less efficient.
Efficiency?

What about safety...
(10-07-2023, 07:59 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]Efficiency?

What about safety...

Cars are safer now for passengers and pedestrians.  And you mentioned the economical side first.
Yeah, but I don't vote ACT.
(10-07-2023, 08:17 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, but I don't vote ACT.

Unsure what that has to do with 30kph speed limits
We've had a 30 speed limit in central Dunedin for years - the whining is long forgotten. Few people travelled much above that speed anyway - the streets are narrow with lots of tight corners!

(10-07-2023, 08:24 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-07-2023, 08:17 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, but I don't vote ACT.

Unsure what that has to do with 30kph speed limits

It's usually entitled thoughtless pricks that complain the loudest - the ACT party!

Agreed, it looks the only way to achieve a road to zero is make the speed limits zero. Meanwhile, we are seeing cyclists killed, we had a major accident where a cyclist hit a logging truck. Don't think it was the drivers fault either.
Is there any evidence that pedestrians are being killed by drivers driving 30-50kph in a current 50kph area? Without other factors being the main cause? If so, then reduced speed limits might help.

But, I suspect that most pedestrian accidents are, as in most "accidents", caused by impairment, carelessness, inattention or deliberate flouting of existing laws. If that is the case, then a slower speed limit may help by decreasing the impact speed of the crash, but won't really do much to prevent the occurrence. It's just another case of hit the innocent with more laws when the existing ones would work if only people were expected to do the right thing.
Which works equally for those on foot or on wheels. Like the male ute driver who cut me off in order to swoop on a parking space as I completed crossing on a marked pedestrian crossing. Scared the life out of me, so close I felt the breeze as he passed. When I raised my eyebrows at him as a question he gave me the fingers and said 'Fuck off lady'.

I congratulated myself on not being related to the bastard.
our chch central city is 30Km/h and we have areas of 40 spread around the city...
I don't have a problem with it in the central city areas, there is usually so much congestion and/or traffic lights that it makes so little difference to how long it takes to get where you're going...
(11-07-2023, 03:57 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]Which works equally for those on foot or on wheels. Like the male ute driver who cut me off in order to swoop on a parking space as I completed crossing on a marked pedestrian crossing. Scared the life out of me, so close I felt the breeze as he passed. When I raised my eyebrows at him as a question he gave me the fingers and said 'Fuck off lady'.

I congratulated myself on not being related to the bastard.

some people are just born wankers...
And most of them have driver licences.
Pages: 1 2