Too Many Message Boards

Full Version: Possible sighting of the Dad of missing family
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
You have to hope that regardless of circumstances he turns up with the kids safe & well. They've been gone quite a while & it must be hell for their mum & other family.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3009424...stolen-ute

"Police have confirmed there were three sightings of missing father of three Tom Phillips in Waikato on Wednesday night.
Tom and his three children Jayda, Maverick and Ember were reported missing from Marokopa by family on January 18, 2022.
On Wednesday evening police received reports of sightings of Phillips in a brown/bronze 2003 Toyota Hilux flat-deck ute on State Highway 31 in the Kāwhia area.
Inspector Will Loughrin said in a press conference on Thursday the Hilux was a stolen vehicle and the children were not with him.
Phillips was also sighted in a Bunnings in Te Rapa at 4pm and in Kāwhia about 6.45pm on Wednesday where he was in an altercation involving another vehicle.
Police were contacted and attempted to locate the vehicle, but it was not found.
Police believed there were people in the community helping him and the children, and urged those people to do the right thing and come forward.
Our priority is, and has always been, working to locate Tom and the children to ensure their welfare, and we have continued to follow up on information reported to us where relevant.”
A warrant to arrest Phillips was issued when he failed to appear in Te Kūiti District Court in January last year on a charge of wasting police time and resources in relation to the family’s first disappearance back in September 2021."
https://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/miss...ghting-dad

"Loughrin asked anyone to report any current sightings to 111,  quoting file number 211218/5611.
"We need to find that vehicle. It's a real sense that we have a really good bit of information, but again, we need the public's support to find that vehicle.
Loughrin believed Phillips was "concealing his identity".

However, the investigation team had been able to put a number of things together to satisfy police that it was Phillips who had been in possession of the vehicle of interest last night, Loughrin said.
"He has changed his appearance. We will release further information as it comes to hand around what Tom's updated appearance may look like."
He urged Phillips to "do the right thing".

"We want to bring this to a close. Tom, we need you to come in and speak to us and resolve this; 18 months is too long and the kids need to see their grandparents, their siblings, their mother."
Very interesting story to follow.
Surprised he has not been found all this time.
They were saying on the radio that it's possible that the family of the "stolen" vehicle may have been helping him.
(04-08-2023, 05:55 PM)nzoomed Wrote: [ -> ]Very interesting story to follow.
Surprised he has not been found all this time.
They were saying on the radio that it's possible that the family of the "stolen" vehicle may have been helping him.

I suppose it has to be a possibility, doesn't it. Its a  vey strange situation, so who knows.
In isolated communities like Marokopa locals are very much aware of what's going on in the area and if something or someone is out of the ordinary. The police will be very much aware of this and must be frustrated by the lack of information they're receiving from the area.

It will be a very interesting story when they finally catch up with Tom. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a media circus for his kids' sake.
Reminds me of the 2018 film "leave no trace"
Perhaps it was his inspiration?
I'm surprised his camp has not been located yet. With modern IR night vision gear, it should be piece of cake.
I wonder if landSAR/ police have considered use of drones? Would make it an affordable and cost effective option.
(05-08-2023, 11:56 AM)nzoomed Wrote: [ -> ]Reminds me of the 2018 film "leave no trace"
I'm surprised his camp has not been located yet. With modern IR night vision gear, it should be piece of cake.
I wonder if landSAR/ police have considered use of drones? Would make it an affordable and cost effective option.

Haven't seen Leave no trace, but surely they will use drones, it would make sense.
(05-08-2023, 11:56 AM)nzoomed Wrote: [ -> ]Reminds me of the 2018 film "leave no trace"
Plenty of caves to hole up in in that area. That would make detection by drone or IR vision gear pretty ineffectual.
(05-08-2023, 03:20 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: [ -> ]

Haven't seen Leave no trace, but surely they will use drones, it would make sense.
Not a bad film, quite a similar storyline about a military veteran father living alone in the outdoors with his daughter.
See trailer.

(05-08-2023, 07:33 PM)harm_less Wrote: [ -> ]
Plenty of caves to hole up in in that area. That would make detection by drone or IR vision gear pretty ineffectual.
I did wonder about that, either it's an undiscovered cave, or one on private land that sees very little exploration by cavers.
But either way, there are a ton of places to hide in the aera, he might not be staying in the same spot for long too.
Ah, I have seen it after all but had forgotten the title.

Thomasin McKenzie was in it. She's brilliant & is the daughter of Miranda Harcourt & granddaughter of Kate Harcourt - from an acting family, so hardly surprising she's so talented. I wouldn't be surprised if she wins an Oscar sooner or later.
(04-08-2023, 07:14 PM)harm_less Wrote: [ -> ]It will be a very interesting story when they finally catch up with Tom. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a media circus for his kids' sake.

he has already turned it into a media circus 

everything that happens is because of decisions he made

if he has nothing to hide why is he hiding