Too Many Message Boards

Full Version: Idiots dressing in KKK costumes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How the hell can anyone be either so very  ignorant or so very uncaring about the reaction from their costumes.
Dodgy

https://www.stuff.co.nz/bay-of-plenty/30...vent-spark

a"A group of people dressing as the Ku Klux Klan for a quiz night community event has sparked outrage in Kaimai.

When a local heard what had happened he was shocked by “the abhorrent behaviour”, and concerned that nobody had stopped the group from taking part.

A spokesperson for the quiz organisers, the Kaimai Settlers Committee, said that they did not remove the group as no one complained at the time.
We as a committee were immediately concerned when the ‘young guys concerned’ entered late. We had discussed removing them. However, nobody approached anyone with concerns at the time or throughout the night. Had they have, we would have acted.”
The organisers have now approached the group and “strongly suggested they front with an explanation and apology for their actions”.
On a local Kaimai community page locals showed their disapproval, one commenting that it was “insensitive and distasteful”.
Others expressed concern that nobody stood up and protested about the outfits at the time."

https://www.webworm.co/p/nokkk

spAs I sat on a plane for 12 hours hoping my back would cooperate on a cramped seat, some New Zealanders decided to dress up in KKK outfits for a pub quiz in my old hometown of Tauranga. I just spoke to a woman who attended, who was still sort of shell shocked.

The team walked in — they were one of the last to arrive,” she told me. She didn’t want to be named. I get it.
I had my back to the door, but there was an audible reaction so I looked round and was really shocked. I sort of thought it must be something else at first — that just looked like the KKK. But no.
Their team name was ‘Give us a klu’. The majority of them kept their hoods on the entire night so even if I’d known them, I couldn’t have identified them. They had a petrol can on their table which was an interesting touch. And the emcee gave them a prize for commitment to their costume because they weren’t taking them off even to drink.
Prize in hand, they left into the Tauranga nigh
New d excuses for people to show their utter lack of understanding. That’s the kindest reading. There are less kind readings. I’m trying to remain impartial but failing.
You’d think it would stop at the people who dress up. A bad decision that will be rebuked by others.
Instead they’re handed prizes by organisers. They are celebrated."
They probably thought the quiz was called "Give us a Klu"
Never underestimate human stupidity.
(21-08-2023, 12:58 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]Never underestimate human stupidity.

True - although you have to wonder whether or not that was all there was to it.
(21-08-2023, 03:28 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: [ -> ]
(21-08-2023, 12:58 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]Never underestimate human stupidity.

True - although you have to wonder whether or not that was all there was to it.
As the report states that they included using a petrol can on their table as a prop, they were well aware of what their costumes represented. Ignorant pricks!
(21-08-2023, 12:21 PM)Kenj Wrote: [ -> ]They probably thought the quiz was called "Give us a Klu"

That was their team name.

Interesting that they've now apologised - have to wonder how genuine it is.
The "apology" that I read was limited to the old chestnut "any offence that may have been caused", directed towards the organisers of the event only, and qualified by an excuse of being drunk.   

I'm sure there has been another offensive event at another Settlers fundraiser, can't remember where, possibly Oamaru or somewhere in the south.   

I live not far from the area in which this KKK assault took place and I can absolutely believe that the organisers didn't see anything wrong with it.   As a newcomer to the district I attended a couple of community meetings where each MC told disgustingly racist jokes and nobody reacted at all other than to guffaw.
(21-08-2023, 07:40 PM)Olive Wrote: [ -> ]The "apology" that I read was limited to the old chestnut "any offence that may have been caused", directed towards the organisers of the event only, and qualified by an excuse of being drunk.   

I'm sure there has been another offensive event at another Settlers fundraiser, can't remember where, possibly Oamaru or somewhere in the south.   

I live not far from the area in which this KKK assault took place and I can absolutely believe that the organisers didn't see anything wrong with it.   As a newcomer to the district I attended a couple of community meetings where each MC told disgustingly racist jokes and nobody reacted at all other than to guffaw.

There are still idiots everywhere & sadly, some are so very limited in outlook & comprehension as to be racist, even now when so much more is understood about the evils of that.

I think more widespread education on the harm racism does is sorely needed  - & also perhaps a public education campaign so there can be no excuse for racist behaviour such as this.
Kinda reminds me of the time that Prince Harry dressed up s a Nazi at a costume party.
Mmm, major difference in ages there though.