Too Many Message Boards

Full Version: Hipkins values free speech - until he doesnt
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
From his presser today in reference to the heckler at Luxon's press conference:

"We have a country where free speech is valued, cherished and encouraged but I don't think we should use that to deliberately drown out the voice of others."

Then minutes later referring to Posey Parkers return:

"I don't think that adds to the debate in any way that's useful, constructive, and I fully support the people who will oppose it who have indicated that they would oppose it with us and express a contrary view," he said.

So which is it Chris? Free speech is OK and shouldn't be drowned out or should be drowned out when you dont agree with what's being said?

A more onto it press core would have jumped on the blatant hypocrisy of his second comment.
Wow. You must've been listening to a different presser. I heard him clearly say he thought that stupid woman had a right to free speech even though he didn't agree with the way she deliberately set out to inflame and cause disruption. He also said he didn't think Immigration would or should stop her coming.

Worse luck. I'd like to see her tarred and feathered and put right back on whatever broom she flew in on.

And he supported Luxon in his attempts to beat back the twits from the Bishop's Freedom party. What a misnomer that is. Freedom for who Bish?

See? Must've been a different speechifying thing...
(28-08-2023, 05:41 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]Wow. You must've been listening to a different  presser. I heard hin clearly say he thought that stupid woman had a right to free speech even though he didn't agree with the way she deliberately set out to inflame and cause disruption. He also said he didn't think Immigration would or should stop her coming.

Worse luck. I'd like to see her tarred and feathered and put right back on whatever broom she flew in on.

And he supported Luxon in his attempts to beat back the twits from the Bishop's Freedom party. What a misnomer that is. Freedom for who Bish?

Direct quotes taken from Stuffs live reporting.  

And considering how Immigration got their arse handed to them after the Avi Yemini incident then no they won't stop her coming - and considering the reason she is coming is to testify in the assult case that is fair.
seems to me the PM is saying free speech is valued and idiots like posie parker are entitled to it - but equally those that don't agree with her 'values' are equally entitled to drown her out... doesn't seem that complicated to me...
(28-08-2023, 06:10 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: [ -> ]
(28-08-2023, 05:41 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]Wow. You must've been listening to a different  presser. I heard hin clearly say he thought that stupid woman had a right to free speech even though he didn't agree with the way she deliberately set out to inflame and cause disruption. He also said he didn't think Immigration would or should stop her coming.

Direct quotes taken from Stuffs live reporting.  

And considering how Immigration got their arse handed to them after the Avi Yemini incident then no they won't stop her coming - and considering the reason she is coming is to testify in the assult case that is fair.
You quote a Stuff reporter? Really? That might be your first mistake... Big Grin

I watched and listened to him.
(28-08-2023, 06:41 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]WainuiguyDirect quotes taken from Stuffs live reporting.  

You quote a Stuff reporter? Really? That might be your first mistake... Big Grin

So did I.   Hunni is right,  Wainuiguy is mis-reporting and distorting.
(28-08-2023, 07:19 PM)Olive Wrote: [ -> ]
(28-08-2023, 06:41 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]WainuiguyDirect quotes taken from Stuffs live reporting.  

Thank you Olive.  Smile
Now you are repeating yourself...

Or is it me?
(28-08-2023, 07:19 PM)Olive Wrote: [ -> ]

So Stuff is mis-reporting and distorting?  Surely not.
(28-08-2023, 07:53 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: [ -> ]
(28-08-2023, 07:19 PM)Olive Wrote: [ -> ]So did I.   Hunni is right,  Wainuiguy is mis-reporting and distorting.
So Stuff is mis-reporting and distorting?  Surely not.

And you are repeating it. And repeating it. Big Grin
(28-08-2023, 06:24 PM)king1 Wrote: [ -> ]seems to me the PM is saying free speech is valued and idiots like posie parker are entitled to it - but equally those that don't agree with her 'values' are equally entitled to drown her out... doesn't seem that complicated to me...

"We have a country where free speech is valued, cherished and encouraged but I don't think we should use that to deliberately drown out the voice of others."
Context is also important here. He had just been shouted at by that idiot from the Freedom lot, so double meaning in that statement.

Politics is such fun isn't it?
(28-08-2023, 08:20 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]Context is also important here. He had just been shouted at by that idiot from the Freedom lot, so double meaning in that statement.

Politics is such fun isn't it?

Who had been shouted at?  Hipkins?
Yes. You really aren't keeping up here Wainui...
(28-08-2023, 08:45 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]Yes. You really aren't keeping up here Wainui...

Except he wasnt the one shouted at.  Luxon was.  So what is the context now?
Hipkins was interrupted and heckled during a walk around by the candidate for the Tamaki lot. Both leaders are being targetted and shouted down at public appearances by Tamaki's reps. If you had seen the press conference you would have seen Hipkins standing up for Luxon's right to uninterrupted public speaking. Just as he also stood up for Parker's right to the same. And for those with opposing viewpoints.

The only one who appears to be interested in denying free speech is that minor party candidate.

But you didn't see that press conference. You are relying on press impressions. Which are neither complete nor impartial. That is why watching the televised appearances is probably the better basis for commentary and opinion forming.

And I am still not voting Labour.
(28-08-2023, 10:34 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]Hipkins was interrupted and heckled during a walk around by the candidate for the Tamaki lot. Both leaders are being targetted and shouted down at public appearances by Tamaki's reps. If you had seen the press conference you would have seen Hipkins standing up for Luxon's right to uninterrupted public speaking. Just as he also stood up for Parker's right to the same. And for those with opposing viewpoints.

The only one who appears to be interested in denying free speech is that minor party candidate.

But you didn't see that press conference. You are relying on press impressions. Which are neither complete nor impartial. That is why watching the televised appearances is probably the better basis for commentary and opinion forming.

And I am still not voting Labour.

His occurred over a week ago! Or are we looking at another Marama Davidson situation where what she said was from trauma that happened hours before?
And are you saying he was misquoted?
He will be a darn sight better than labor anyway, but I can't wait for posie Parker to return
Gods, I am surrounded by fools and idiots this morning.

I might as well turn over and go back to sleep.
i'm not seeing any hypocrisy here wainuiguy

He simply says he supports people that have an opposing position to Posie Parker.

That is not the same as encouraging people to 'drown her out', as you would seem to be suggesting.

it's a non-event...
Pages: 1 2