Too Many Message Boards

Full Version: driver test query. reversing cameras?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
just a query gang,

im learning to drive currently, after 20 years on a motorbike, and am going to fit a reversing camera. would this be acceptable for sitting future tests, given how common they seem to be these days?

thanks in advance.
You will need to check your mirrors and surrounding area, they won't like it if you just use the camera.
thanks, so the camera can stay in then? i always use my mirrors etc, but am still learning my distances when parallel parking. it would be more for me to check whether i can go back furthur as opposed to just relying on it to tell me everything.

i still have a few months before i can attempt it, so still time to learn.

appreciate the reply. Smile
That's about the only benefit I see with them - checking that rear distance when parking. Watching the other car rock is not a good look.
can you recommend a good one at all please? my car is a 99 primera, so no big screen on the dash. i was looking at one of the clip on mirror types.
A big part of the reason for rear view cameras being so prevalent now is the dismal rear vision on many modern cars, and particularly utes and SUVs. Our primary vehicle is a real challenge to reverse, due to its poor rear vision, and I do so using a combination of physical mirrors and the 360 degree 'bird's eye view' screen display. The proximity warnings and collision avoidance system are very effective but I still trust wing mirrors and a head turn in preference.

A driving instructor will require you to be reversing by 'old school' methods as you are being tested rather than the car and you should show competence to operate any vehicle. One the up side fitting a reversing camera to your car may well improve its sale-ability. We currently had a prospective buyer decide against a Leaf we have for sale due to its lack of reversing camera as his wife is unable to parallel park without one, according to him.