Too Many Message Boards

Full Version: Wireless lan to Ethernet bridge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone used these before? Ive never had the need for one until now.
I dont see anything that PB tech stock, but jaycar stock these.
https://www.jaycar.co.nz/wi-fi-bridge-fo...s/p/YN8361
I just want to connect an ethernet security camera to wifi.
Is much cheaper option than a dedicated unifi wireless bridge setup, but i question how good its range is outside the house.
Used similar once or twice for cable only photocopier to connect to wifi, worked ok - the ones I used were just an old dlink I think that had a bridge mode. A few of the wifi extenders/access points also supported bridge mode as well eg
https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NAPTPL1...0-Multiple

Can't really speak for range but wouldn't think these would be as good as a dedicated bridge. Probably normal wifi range would be a good benchmark, with normal wifi limitations ie tin clad sheds
TP link call what you want client mode, they also have a similar model (TL-WA801ND ) to that linked above that includes "Bridged with AP mode" which I guess combines the client mode and access point functions
(23-01-2024, 12:01 PM)king1 Wrote: [ -> ]TP link call what you want client mode, they also have a similar model (TL-WA801ND ) to that linked above that includes "Bridged with AP mode"  which I guess combines the client mode and access point functions

Thats more or less what im looking for.
Im also exploring the use of installing a mesh extender, as i can plug one of the mesh units into the ethernet port of the camera and that should just work fine in theory without the hassle of any configuration.
(23-01-2024, 02:31 PM)nzoomed Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-01-2024, 12:01 PM)king1 Wrote: [ -> ]TP link call what you want client mode, they also have a similar model (TL-WA801ND ) to that linked above that includes "Bridged with AP mode"  which I guess combines the client mode and access point functions

Thats more or less what im looking for.
Im also exploring the use of installing a mesh extender, as i can plug one of the mesh units into the ethernet port of the camera and that should just work fine in theory without the hassle of any configuration.

a mesh network would certainly do it as long it reached the area, I would much rather use a mesh network these days than adding a wifi extending...  
Only issue with them is some of the older wifi devices have issues with the wifi 6 and band steering...
(24-01-2024, 08:58 AM)king1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-01-2024, 02:31 PM)nzoomed Wrote: [ -> ]Thats more or less what im looking for.

a mesh network would certainly do it as long it reached the area, I would much rather use a mesh network these days than adding a wifi extending...  
Only issue with them is some of the older wifi devices have issues with the wifi 6 and band steering...

Yeah, I have come across those issues with band steering heaps. I end up seperating the SSIDs for each band.