Too Many Message Boards

Full Version: Green party:"Govt doesn't care about renters"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Its difficult to avoid that conclusion given their actions. This just looks very much as though they want to encourage wealthy people to own more & more rental properties as a means of maintaining & increasing their wealth, & never mind about the tenants.

Things are done differently in some European countries; its not uncommon for several generations of a family to rent the same property, that would probably work well here too.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/national/...713e&ei=10

“The Green Party says the Government's new rental changes prove "it does not care about renters, which is a majority of people in Aotearoa".    
On Thursday, Housing Minister Chris Bishop announced an overhaul of the tenancy laws - including reintroducing 90-day no-cause evictions and making several changes to notice periods in a move meant to "encourage landlords back to the rental property market".      
The changes mostly affect periodic tenancies and include reintroducing 90-day "no cause" terminations, returning landlords' notice periods for ending a tenancy to 42 days under certain conditions and returning tenants' notice to 21 days. The Government is also reintroducing landlords' ability to give notice to end a fixed-term tenancy at the end of the term without requiring a specific reason.   
While Bishop said the changes will encourage more landlords into the market and put downward pressure on rents, the Greens see it differently.    
Party housing spokesperson Tamatha Paul slammed the changes, saying they give the majority of New Zealanders "little hope".     
"We have a Government that thinks it is running a company not a country, and treats housing as a business. 
"Housing is a human right, and every person deserves a warm, safe and affordable home, whether they own that home or not."   

She accused the Government of being "pro-self-interest" and not for tenants. 
"Homeownership rates in New Zealand have drastically reduced over the past three decades, with more and more children growing up in rental housing and more and more elderly New Zealanders struggling to make ends meet while paying high rents," Paul said. "   
What's with some many of our politicians now referring to tenants as "renters" so frequently? Initially it was Luxon who was doing this but it seems to have spread throughout our politicians now. Most public fronting businesses rent the commercial premises they occupy but it is virtual unheard of for landlords to refer to them as "renters" so is the term being used to denigrate residential tenants similarly to the 'bottom feeder' moniker?
(12-04-2024, 04:03 PM)harm_less Wrote: [ -> ]What's with some many of our politicians now referring to tenants as "renters" so frequently? Initially it was Luxon who was doing this but it seems to have spread throughout our politicians now. Most public fronting businesses rent the commercial premises they occupy but it is virtual unheard of for landlords to refer to them as "renters" so is the term being used to denigrate residential tenants similarly to the 'bottom feeder' moniker?

I agree, tenant has an implication of having rights - by using 'renters' I suspect he is feeding the narrative that nowadays tenants have less rights and less power in that relationship.
The bit I find incomprehensible is their assertion that giving landlords tax breaks will lower rents.

Where did this lot get that idea from?
(12-04-2024, 06:20 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]The bit I find incomprehensible is their assertion that giving landlords tax breaks will lower rents.

Trickle-down economics Rolleyes
(12-04-2024, 06:20 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: [ -> ]The bit I find incomprehensible is their assertion that giving landlords tax breaks will lower rents.

it somewhat diminishes the uncontrollable desire to raise rents - loosely counts as "lowering rents"
(12-04-2024, 06:44 PM)harm_less Wrote: [ -> ]

Trickle-down economics Rolleyes

Oh yes, of course. Otherwise known as "The rich pissing on the poor"... Dodgy

It does rather look as though they want to take us all back to feudal times, the miserable sods. I think its time we had laws against immense wealth -  grinding poverty.
And seriously, we need to prevent anyone who's extremely wealthy from entering politics. Ever.

I tend to agree with Mark Twain when it comes to politicians.

"Suppose you were a politician. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself."

"The desire to become a politician should be sufficient to warrant being banned from ever doing so for life."

"Politicians and diapers must be changed often,& for the same reason."

"S[font='Times New Roman', serif." Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

[size=large]Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin