Too Many Message Boards

Full Version: Outlook 2019 & Xtramail
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have decided to ditch Xtramail and have installed Gmail account in my Outlook 2019. It's working OK as it should.

I'll delete my Spark's Xtramail account  in the next few days.

Questions:

1.  After deleting the the my Xtramail account, of course, my Outlook 2019 will not be able to receive /send any mail, and will have to say bye, bye to xtramail. 
2.  All my Outlook 2019's Inbox /Sent and all folders/ sub-folders, etc., contents should still stay where they are, right?
3.  And, I should still be able to access all old mails from Outlook 2019.
4.  As mentioned above, I have setup my gmail account in Outlook 2019 and it is working OK and continues to work, right.
5.  Is there anything I should do before deleting my Xtramail account?

Cheers.
(05-05-2024, 10:16 AM)Galaxy01 Wrote: [ -> ]I have decided to ditch Xtramail and have installed Gmail account in my Outlook 2019. It's working OK as it should.

I'll delete my Spark's Xtramail account  in the next few days.

Questions:

1.  After deleting the the my Xtramail account, of course, my Outlook 2019 will not be able to receive /send any mail, and will have to say bye, bye to xtramail. 
2.  All my Outlook 2019's Inbox /Sent and all folders/ sub-folders, etc., contents should still stay where they are, right?
3.  And, I should still be able to access all old mails from Outlook 2019.
4.  As mentioned above, I have setup my gmail account in Outlook 2019 and it is working OK and continues to work, right.
5.  Is there anything I should do before deleting my Xtramail account?

Cheers.

Your xtramail account will still work until you cancel it with spark and save the $6 a month, removing it from outlook will remove the account so as you say you wont be able to send or receive out of the account using outlook.
Gmail will still work fine in Outlook and has nothing to do with whatever happens to your xtraamail account.

You will want to backup any important emails from your spark account you want to keep, thats about it.
You can also keep logging into your xtramail at xtramail.co.nz until such time you cancel the account.
To terminate the xtramail account, I need to log in to their Webmail and cancel (or delete) it. That's according to Spark's email sent to me.
Whether I delete it or not from Outlook 2019 has got nothing to do with Spark.

I can still keep my Outlook's xtramail, just that I won't be able to access any mail from Spark's xtramail. Am I right?

If I delete my xtramail account from my Outlook 2019, will all my previous mail folders/sub-folders and their contents still stay ?
One thing thats not 100% clear from Xtra is how long they will keep your old mail. I suspect it wont be long, and if its IMAP then once they delete the mail it very well may sync on Outlook and wipe out there as well. ( thats what IMAP does) 

Suggest to be safe export the current email out to a .pst file that way it will be saved.

If not to sure how have a read  (with Pictures) HERE

Once done you can import back if they disappear, or even into the new account.
if the Xtra mail account in Outlook 2019 is setup with IMAP then you will potentially lose access to all those emails when you cancel. SO you should move all mail from the Xtra folder group to your Gmail folder group, or if its a lot (over 15gb gmail limit ) create another PST file and copy (not move, just in case) them to there.

if the Xtra mail account in Outlook 2019 is setup with POP then the email data is stored on your PC and independent from the Xtra mail servers - so in this scenario you can remove the xtra account from outlook, whilst leaving the PST data file in active.

I would suggest...
- verifying IMAP or POP,
- verifying which data file it is using and backing it up before cancelling anything

This can be done in the mail account settings...
Thanks, guys.

I am very sure it's using POP.

I will do a final PST backup before I delete the Xtramail account from Spark. I am backing up quite regularly, every few months.

Once I deleted my Xtramail account from Sparks web server, my Outlook 2019 won't be able to access it anymore, that's according to Spark and it takes immediate effect when the account is deleted.
So, whether or not I delete the xtramail account from my Outlook doesn't really matter as it can't access it. Am I right?

How do I move those folders to Gmail account?
(05-05-2024, 11:56 AM)Galaxy01 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, guys.

I am very sure it's using POP.

I will do a final PST backup before I delete the Xtramail account from Spark.    I am backing up quite regularly, every few months.

How do I move those folders to Gmail account?

you can drag individual folders you have created  from the xtra email folder group into any other folder group...

Because the inbox, sent, drafts etc are system folders though, with these you need to open the folder, CTRL A select all and drag to the target folder...

Right click menu on emails and folders also has options to copy move... But backup before you do otherwise you could end up like this guy
https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?tid=3077
Correct me if I am wrong:

I can leave my xtramail account in my Outlook but of course, it can't access the Spark's xtramail server.
But, will Outlook 2019 spit out any error message other than access failure or something to that effect?
(05-05-2024, 12:11 PM)Galaxy01 Wrote: [ -> ]Correct me if I am wrong:

I can leave my xtramail account in my Outlook but of course, it can't access the Spark's xtramail server.
But, will Outlook 2019 spit out any error message other than access failure or something to that effect?

Being POP, yes you can do it that way.

To stop Outlook from giving those access failures (the username password prompt) every 10 minutes or so then you need to remove the pop account from the mail settings.  The data file itself should stay in place but back it up anyway just in case, it is stored in documents / outlook files usually... Outlook would need to be closed to copy it...

This is the area you would do that 
https://filestore.community.support.micr...1e94c13bc1

File -> Account settings -> Account settings
You can import a .pst file into outlook via the control panel / mail / Data files as a separate file, and all mail will be there. It can still be replied / forwarded from using the new account. Leaving the xtra account would be a pain, because every time you open  mail it will try to locate the account on Xtra and fail with error messages.
Wainuitech, I can just copy the Data file, .pst file and import it to MS Outlook (I have it set up in my Win11 PC), can access, view, etc.?

(05-05-2024, 12:36 PM)king1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-05-2024, 12:11 PM)Galaxy01 Wrote: [ -> ]Correct me if I am wrong:

Being POP, yes you can do it that way.

To stop Outlook from giving those access failures (the username password prompt) every 10 minutes or so then you need to remove the pop account from the mail settings.  The data file itself should stay in place but back it up anyway just in case, it is stored in documents / outlook files usually... Outlook would need to be closed to copy it...

If the xtramail account is removed or deleted, the folders like Inbox, Sent, etc associated with the account should stay in place?
OK... I have sorted out most of the items, have moved folders - other than the Inbox, to my Gmail account; and have copied the all the Sent items to Gmail's Sent (not many, after cleaning up).

Now, only the Inbox which has lots of emails, received over the past 20 years, to be looked at.

Wainuitech, how do I import the Data PST file (you mentioned earlier) to MS Outlook (using hotmail)?

Or, is there a way to copy and paste the PST file in a folder and use MS Outlook to view it as and when needed?
(05-05-2024, 12:54 PM)Galaxy01 Wrote: [ -> ]Wainuitech, I can just copy the Data file,  .pst file and import it to MS Outlook (I have it set up in my Win11 PC), can access, view, etc.?

(05-05-2024, 12:36 PM)king1 Wrote: [ -> ]Being POP, yes you can do it that way.

If the xtramail account is removed or deleted, the folders like Inbox, Sent, etc associated with the account should stay in place?
With POP, yes, but backup just in case...