Too Many Message Boards

Full Version: My Cameras.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I do  not wish to intrude on Praktica's thread as I can in no way match his extensive camera range nor his expertise.  Neither is this a true collector's thread as I do not still possess all these cameras I have had in the past.  
I shall therefore start this separate thread and endeavour to list and describe the cameras I have had in the past.

My very first camera was one I inherited from my father.   It was an Eastman Kodak 116 Box Brownie.  These were manufactured by Eastman Kodak in USA from 1917 in various models through until the 1930's  My father must have acquired this in the early 1920's and I inherited it in the early 1940's.    It had a problem that it let in the light badly so you were never sure how much if any of a photo you were going to capture.
It was similar to this [Image: st538756449-vintage-eastman-kodak-black-...el-116.jpg]
Good to see you here - I don't see any addition as an intrusion. Those box cameras were a great thing for photography - inexpensive and simple to use. Kodak's aim, of course, was to sell users more film. If you can find a camera which uses 120 size film, that is still available. The first camera I used was a Kodak Duaflex, which was my mother's camera. This was a fancy looking box camera.
620 Kodak Box brownie Model C
In the latter part of the 1940’s I started an after school job and one of the first things I did was to save up and buy a camera. I chose a 620 Kodak Box brownie Model C which became "my camera" for a numer of years. I still have some family and other “snaps” taken with this camera. The camera however seems to have disappeared.
It was similar to this:[Image: IMG_1664.jpg]
When I started work in the early 1950’s I wanted to move up from my box brownie to a 35mm camera but most 35mm cameras seemed out of my modest price range.
I became aware however of a camera in the window of a small “film kiosk” in the Auckland bus Terminal whch sold all manner of photographic and other items as well as handling film processing.
It was a Bilora Radix manufactured by Kurbi & Niggeloh, Germany beginning in 1948. There were various models made through into the 1950’s. It used the Agfa karat cassettes. There were two identical cassettes, one holding the unexposed film and the other receiving the film after it had been exposed. The one holding the exposed film was then removed and sent for processing while the now empty cassette was swapped to the other side of the camera and a new cassette inserted. It took 16 24mmx24mm photos, or as was more common slides. My camera was similar to this one.[attachment=109]
The first camera I bought, in 1969, was an Agfa camera which used Rapid cassettes - basically the same as the Karat cassette, but with a tongue which set the film speed for the camera's light meter.