Too Many Message Boards
John Campbell slams Poto Williams for lack of progress on home affordability - Printable Version

+- Too Many Message Boards (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums)
+-- Forum: General Topics (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Opinion and Politics (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=75)
+--- Thread: John Campbell slams Poto Williams for lack of progress on home affordability (/showthread.php?tid=1100)

Pages: 1 2 3

John Campbell slams Poto Williams for lack of progress on home affordability - Wainuiguy - 05-02-2022

https://youtu.be/gC7yx8zH2eA

You know that when someone as left leaning as Campbell comes out with such cutting criticism as this you are in trouble.  Williams had no answers to his questions.

Would love to see him ask similar hard questions of Ardern.

RE: John Campbell slams Poto Williams for lack of progress on home affordability - Oh_hunnihunni - 05-02-2022

I do not understand why they haven't extended the rent freeze for the duration of the pandemic. Such a small move with a huge impact, especially now inflation is underway.

RE: John Campbell slams Poto Williams for lack of progress on home affordability - Wainuiguy - 05-02-2022

(05-02-2022, 10:10 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I do not understand why they haven't extended the rent freeze for the duration of the pandemic. Such a small move with a huge impact, especially now inflation is underway.
I don't understand how they haven't realised that policies they implemented have created the issue in the first place.

RE: John Campbell slams Poto Williams for lack of progress on home affordability - yousnoozeyoulose - 05-02-2022

A tough nut to crack indeed.

Dubious as to whether they (or any party) could have achieved anything with regards to home affordablity. A little tinkering at the periphery was never going to have a major impact. Of course, now isn't the right time for drastic changes, or so I'm told by the Opposition.

Always amuses me when a political party agrees with a negative assertion by an interviewer and basically says "yeah, we must do better." For a second, they turn into an awkward teenager staring down, quietly shuffling their feet.

(05-02-2022, 10:41 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: I don't understand how they haven't realised that policies they implemented have created the issue in the first place.
Created?

RE: John Campbell slams Poto Williams for lack of progress on home affordability - Wainuiguy - 05-02-2022

(05-02-2022, 10:45 AM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote: A tough nut to crack indeed.

Dubious as to whether they (or any party) could have achieved anything with regards to home affordablity. A little tinkering at the periphery was never going to have a major impact. Of course, now isn't the right time for drastic changes, or so I'm told by the Opposition.

Always amuses me when a political party agrees with a negative assertion by an interviewer and basically says "yeah, we must do better." For a second, they turn into an awkward teenager staring down, quietly shuffling their feet.

(05-02-2022, 10:41 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: I don't understand how they haven't realised that policies they implemented have created the issue in the first place.
Created?
Yes. Created.

RE: John Campbell slams Poto Williams for lack of progress on home affordability - jackford - 05-02-2022

Williams placed under da bus by Woods

RE: John Campbell slams Poto Williams for lack of progress on home affordability - king1 - 05-02-2022

housing has been unaffordable for a lot of people for a lot longer than labour has been in power. Real incomes have been dropping for the last thirty years or longer in NZ, while house prices /rents go up - it has been inevitable for many years. Labour policies over the last couple of terms may have contributed to it becoming moreso ( debatable whether they were actually bad decisions eg healthy homes etc) but they certainly did not create the problem...

RE: John Campbell slams Poto Williams for lack of progress on home affordability - Lilith7 - 05-02-2022

(05-02-2022, 12:04 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(05-02-2022, 10:45 AM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote: A tough nut to crack indeed.

Created?
Yes. Created.
NOT alone & unaided, they didn't. The housing problem has sadly been with us for years now; even John Key  mentioned it in a speech back before his party become govt back in 2007.
Although of course, once they became govt then there was magically apparently no longer any housing crisis. Rolleyes

The problem is now so huge that it might need several methods at once to fix it & even then, it can't be done quickly because its taken decades to get to this stage.
What's needed is an end to talking about it endlessly & just damn well do it - as Hunni said, a rent freeze would be an excellent start.

Midnight tonight would be a good time to slap one on, no advance warning whatsoever so landlords can't raise the rent immediately prior to it.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA0708/S00336.htm

"This decline shows no signs of slowing. In fact, on current trends, the crisis will only deepen. Home ownership rates are predicted to plummet to 60% within the next decade. And one of the biggest factors influencing home-ownership rates over the next 10 years will be the difficulty young buyers will have getting into their first home.
[/url][url=http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA0708/S00336.htm]
This problem won’t be solved by knee-jerk, quick-fix plans. And it won’t be curbed with one or two government-sponsored building developments."

(05-02-2022, 02:05 PM)king1 Wrote: housing has been unaffordable for a lot of people for a lot longer than labour has been in power.  Real incomes have been dropping for the last thirty years or longer in NZ, while house prices /rents  go up - it has been inevitable for many years.  Labour policies over the last couple of terms may have contributed to it becoming moreso ( debatable whether they were actually bad decisions eg healthy homes etc) but they certainly did not create the problem...
May have contributed?

May have?  Are you actually writing that with a straight face?

RE: John Campbell slams Poto Williams for lack of progress on home affordability - king1 - 05-02-2022

(05-02-2022, 04:41 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(05-02-2022, 02:05 PM)king1 Wrote: housing has been unaffordable for a lot of people for a lot longer than labour has been in power.  Real incomes have been dropping for the last thirty years or longer in NZ, while house prices /rents  go up - it has been inevitable for many years.  Labour policies over the last couple of terms may have contributed to it becoming moreso ( debatable whether they were actually bad decisions eg healthy homes etc) but they certainly did not create the problem...
May have contributed?

lol, of course...  it must be disappointing when you find out your worldview is so out of step with the rest of society. How do you cope?

(05-02-2022, 05:03 PM)king1 Wrote:
(05-02-2022, 04:41 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: May have contributed?

lol, of course...  it must be disappointing when you find out your worldview is so out of step with the rest of society. How do you cope?
OK so please feel free to point out what policies Labour has initiated that helped decrease or even stabilize rents in the last 5 years.   One will do.

RE: John Campbell slams Poto Williams for lack of progress on home affordability - Magoo - 05-02-2022

i got nothing

(05-02-2022, 05:22 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(05-02-2022, 05:03 PM)king1 Wrote: lol, of course...  it must be disappointing when you find out your worldview is so out of step with the rest of society. How do you cope?
OK so please feel free to point out what policies Labour has initiated that helped decrease or even stabilize rents in the last 5 years.   One will do.
The rent and tenancy termination freeze during covid...  

The housing crisis was decades in the making and will take many many years to fix. Ultimately the only solution is to build more houses or reduce the population... The latter isn't practical so we must build more houses - labour policies around reforming the RMA, changes to the Residential Tenancies Act, healthy homes requirements etc help but obviously more houses are needed and they don't get built overnight...

Now, you were about to tell us why you believe Labour solely created the housing crisis all on their ownsome

RE: John Campbell slams Poto Williams for lack of progress on home affordability - Oh_hunnihunni - 05-02-2022

Changes to rental tenancies for state housing.

The rent freeze during the first lockdown, and the emergency housing of homeless during that period.

The biggest building programme in modern history.

The current focus on tenancies and rentals with a view to improving out comes for all.

Let's hope it gets real.

RE: John Campbell slams Poto Williams for lack of progress on home affordability - Magoo - 05-02-2022

ohhunni;
"The biggest building programme in modern history."
where dat?

(05-02-2022, 05:38 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Changes to rental tenancies for state housing.

The rent freeze during the first lockdown, and the emergency housing of homeless during that period.

The current focus on tenancies and rentals with a view to improving out comes for all.

Let's hope it gets real.
Great response -so which one of those things improved rents?  Decreased rents?

AND don't fall for the biggest lie - because they have built around 3500 new state houses  - 2500 planned and consented under the last government.

But your last comment is spot on

(05-02-2022, 05:38 PM)king1 Wrote:
(05-02-2022, 05:22 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: OK so please feel free to point out what policies Labour has initiated that helped decrease or even stabilize rents in the last 5 years.   One will do.
The rent and tenancy termination freeze during covid...  

The housing crisis was decades in the making and will take many many years to fix.  Ultimately the only solution is to build more houses or reduce the population...  The latter isn't practical so we must build more houses - labour policies around reforming the RMA, changes to the Residential Tenancies Act, healthy homes requirements etc help but obviously more houses are needed and they don't get built overnight...

Now, you were about to tell us why you believe Labour solely created the housing crisis all on their ownsome
Ah I never said on their own did I?

However their policies over the last 5 years have heavily seen rents increase.  Their building scheme,  the right idea, was so badly conceived and implemented it was never going to work. Na $3billion failure.

As for the RMA shame they didn't come in to assist National in the changes they wanted to make, very similar to the ones they are proposing now.  That was 7 years ago.

(05-02-2022, 05:49 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(05-02-2022, 05:38 PM)king1 Wrote: The rent and tenancy termination freeze during covid...  

The housing crisis was decades in the making and will take many many years to fix.  Ultimately the only solution is to build more houses or reduce the population...  The latter isn't practical so we must build more houses - labour policies around reforming the RMA, changes to the Residential Tenancies Act, healthy homes requirements etc help but obviously more houses are needed and they don't get built overnight...

Ah I never said on their own did I?
and more backtracking... you should use a disclaimer, something like "nothing I say should be construed as factual, likely to switch to alternate facts at any time"

RE: John Campbell slams Poto Williams for lack of progress on home affordability - Lilith7 - 05-02-2022

(05-02-2022, 05:38 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Changes to rental tenancies for state housing.

Let's hope it gets real.

Agreed - the building programme is the most important - & lets not forget that a Kiwi govt did once set about building state houses, at a time when housing conditions were dire & many lived in slums.  Homes in which people could bring up their families were seen as of vital importance then & should be again.
Finances back then were also tight - the 30's depression was all over the world -  but somehow, we did it, & we need to again.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/news/article.cfm?c_id=466&objectid=11346757

Then Minister of Housing Walter Nash told New Zealand it could not prosper or progress with a population that "lack[s] the conditions necessary for a 'home' and 'home life', in the best and fullest meaning of those words".

(05-02-2022, 05:41 PM)Magoo Wrote: ohhunni;
"The biggest building programme in modern history."
where dat?
it's a work in progress but it's happening
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/nz-housing-consent-records-broken-nearing-50000-mark-stats-nz/K3AFAYQ52AQL32N43M6W4KVKXA/

(05-02-2022, 06:18 PM)king1 Wrote:
(05-02-2022, 05:49 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Ah I never said on their own did I?
and more backtracking...  you should use a disclaimer, something like "nothing I say should be construed as factual, likely to switch to alternate facts at any time"
Point out where I said it was them alone?  They have however caused the increases for the last 5 years.  That is on them.