Too Many Message Boards
David Seymour - Printable Version

+- Too Many Message Boards (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums)
+-- Forum: General Topics (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Opinion and Politics (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=75)
+--- Thread: David Seymour (/showthread.php?tid=1214)

Pages: 1 2 3

David Seymour - Oldfellah - 13-03-2022

The Act Party wants to give everyone in the country $187 a year to counter the rising cost of living.

Somehow I think it would take a damn sight more than that to counter the cost of living.
What do you guys think of Davids fantastic offer?

RE: David Seymour - king1 - 13-03-2022

reminds of someone else who offered an extra $14 a week I think it was, which at the time was about the price of a 1kg block of cheese - that was ridiculed to high hell and back...

RE: David Seymour - Magoo - 13-03-2022

(13-03-2022, 01:14 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: The Act Party wants to give everyone in the country $187 a year to counter the rising cost of living.

Somehow I think it would take a damn sight more than that to counter the cost of living.
that in a month, wouldnt cover my petrol increase.

RE: David Seymour - Lilith7 - 13-03-2022

(13-03-2022, 01:14 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: The Act Party wants to give everyone in the country $187 a year to counter the rising cost of living.

It inspired me to look up the meaning of fantastic. Big Grin

Dictionary

Definitions from Oxford Languages · L
fantastic

imaginative or fanciful; remote from reality.

"fantastic hybrid creatures"

I think he's very conscious of having slipped in the polls & wants to do better.

And I think he's 'remote from the reality' of daily life for most people; & hasn't a clue what a pitiful sum $187 per year would be in addressing that.

The older I get, the more I think any damn fool wanting to become a politician should be obliged to meet certain conditions. Firstly, having at least 5 years working out in the world after leaving study & prior to entering politics, at least 2 years of that at a low paid position. And then by way of a 'refresher', once they're a politician, several months each year surviving on the lowest wage/benefit, just as a reminder of reality for many voters .With no other income.

RE: David Seymour - an amniote - 13-03-2022

Thanks, David! I'll take my $187 now. Big Grin

RE: David Seymour - Oldfellah - 13-03-2022

He is at it again 
according to Stuff.

ACT Leader David Seymour said the proposed Carbon Tax Refund would see the average family receive a dividend of $749.
Seymour said the carbon tax revenue should go to those struggling with high prices.

I think 99% of us are struggling with high prices, so which is it going to be $749 or $187 or both?

RE: David Seymour - Oh_hunnihunni - 13-03-2022

Gotta love a barefaced bribe to the masses...

RE: David Seymour - Magoo - 13-03-2022

(13-03-2022, 02:45 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Gotta love a barefaced bribe to the masses...
those are au fait right now.
telling lies ok, bringing them up, bad.

st peter has asked that the 'false witness' line on the commandments will be omitted from the next edition.
the queue is getting out of control at the gates. fibbers as far as the eye can see, and they get bolshy too.

(13-03-2022, 02:45 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Gotta love a barefaced bribe to the masses...
He's not even bothering to try to disguise it, either. Bloody politicians. Dodgy

RE: David Seymour - Wainuiguy - 13-03-2022

Hmmm so if this is a bribe what would you call the winter energy payment?

(13-03-2022, 05:28 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Hmmm so if this is a bribe what would you call the winter energy payment?
targeted support I guess.  No different to any of the other benefits available really...

it's probably also a sensible investment in our health sector by reducing winter hospital admissions as well I would imagine

RE: David Seymour - Olive - 13-03-2022

(13-03-2022, 05:34 PM)king1 Wrote:
(13-03-2022, 05:28 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Hmmm so if this is a bribe what would you call the winter energy payment?
targeted support I guess.  No different to any of the other benefits available really...

it's probably also a sensible investment in our health sector by reducing winter hospital admissions as well I would imagine
Exactly.   For many households the winter energy payment makes the difference between keeping a house warm and dry in winter, and having to live in cold and damp and endure the resulting winter illnesses.   I haven't seen any figures but I would say that it more than pays for itself in the reduced load on health services.

(13-03-2022, 05:59 PM)Olive Wrote:
(13-03-2022, 05:34 PM)king1 Wrote: targeted support I guess.  No different to any of the other benefits available really...

Exactly.   For many households the winter energy payment makes the difference between keeping a house warm and dry in winter, and having to live in cold and damp and endure the resulting winter illnesses.   I haven't seen any figures but I would say that it more than pays for itself in the reduced load on health services.
Yes it makes sense - its just a pity that there's a need for it, though.
Had past politicians been more inclined to comprehend the consequences of their actions over the last few decades, it might not be needed.

RE: David Seymour - Oldfellah - 13-03-2022

I believe they they do some sort of winter energy payment scheme in the UK as well , the price of power these days I really think its a godsend for people.

(13-03-2022, 05:34 PM)king1 Wrote:

Is it targeted?  My dad who has 2 mil in the Bank gets it - he spends it on beer.  Many similar.   Targeted like a shotgun blast.

(13-03-2022, 07:06 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(13-03-2022, 05:34 PM)king1 Wrote: targeted support I guess.  No different to any of the other benefits available really...

Is it targeted?  My dad who has 2 mil in the Bank gets it - he spends it on beer.  Many similar.   Targeted like a shotgun blast.
of course it is - but it is not asset tested, it is income tested...  Tell dad to give it to charity if he doesn't need it, actually he could probably offload a bit more to charity as well...

RE: David Seymour - Oh_hunnihunni - 13-03-2022

For me it means I can turn on the heater on those really cold mid winter nights, instead of going to bed at 7pm.

(13-03-2022, 07:06 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:

I think that says rather a lot about your dad.

There is a very simple process to opt out.

(13-03-2022, 07:23 PM)king1 Wrote:
(13-03-2022, 07:06 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Is it targeted?  My dad who has 2 mil in the Bank gets it - he spends it on beer.  Many similar.   Targeted like a shotgun blast.
of course it is - but it is not asset tested, it is income tested...  Tell dad to give it to charity if he doesn't need it, actually he could probably offload a bit more to charity as well...
Why should he do either.  He worked hard all his life from 15 years old.  The money he has is of the back of that and multiple levels of sacrifice.  Years of owning and running businesses,  employing staff and paying taxes.

RE: David Seymour - Olive - 13-03-2022

$2M in the bank and needs the winter heating payment for beer: what does he do with the interest generated by the $2M? Does any of it go to charities?

RE: David Seymour - an amniote - 13-03-2022

(13-03-2022, 07:41 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(13-03-2022, 07:23 PM)king1 Wrote: of course it is - but it is not asset tested, it is income tested...  Tell dad to give it to charity if he doesn't need it, actually he could probably offload a bit more to charity as well...
Why should he do either.  He worked hard all his life from 15 years old.  The money he has is of the back of that and multiple levels of sacrifice.  Years of owning and running businesses,  employing staff and paying taxes.
Are we supposed to feel sorry for him?