Too Many Message Boards
Emission reduction plan - yay or nay? - Printable Version

+- Too Many Message Boards (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums)
+-- Forum: General Topics (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Opinion and Politics (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=75)
+--- Thread: Emission reduction plan - yay or nay? (/showthread.php?tid=1362)

Pages: 1 2

Emission reduction plan - yay or nay? - harm_less - 17-05-2022

There's no shortage of comment going on regarding the government's announcement yesterday.

So, does the program go far enough, is it too restrictive (or generous) and how successful will the plan's strategies prove to be?

Personally I see the vehicle scrapping initiative as a move in the right direction but I'm puzzled as to why the government continues to sit on its hands in regard to incentivising domestic PV installation. Distributed generation is a further incentive towards EV uptake while also reinforcing NZ's grid generation capacity and reducing transmission loading losses.

RE: Emission reduction plan - yay or nay? - Oldfellah - 17-05-2022

The new scrap-and-replace scheme will cost $569 million, subsidising low and middle income families to ditch their clunkers for an EV.
In the new scheme, the Government would help Kiwis 'scrap' their old cars with a rebate to help buy new electric vehicles.
people could receive a rebate of between $6000 to $10,000 per vehicle.

Looking on Trademe at EVs you would need a damn sight more than $6000 to $10000 the government are offering, most EVs start at about $20000 upward so I would like to see a large family on the breadline afford one of those, hell even I couldn't afford one and Im on my own. I think the whole thing is ridiculous its just the Greens trying to make a name for themselves in my opinion.

If things were just left alone Im sure that in the scheme of things that in the future New Zealanders would probably do the EV thing as a matter of course anyway.
Another question is how much carbon related solid energy fuel is used to make one car?

RE: Emission reduction plan - yay or nay? - king1 - 17-05-2022

on the whole I'm good with it, although sceptical that any benefit from the subsidy will end up with the consumer. My uninformed take on subsidies, based on the home heating/insulation subsidies, is that the price goes up when subsidies are on offer...

Also I would have liked to see farming included in the ETS sooner rather than later... They have had enough time to get their ducks in a row...

RE: Emission reduction plan - yay or nay? - Oh_hunnihunni - 17-05-2022

I am all for it, but would like more and further. We do not have time to waste on this. I would like to see all imports of fossil fueled vehicles given an end date, and sooner rather than later. And I would like to see urban tree planting incentivised, especially in suburbs known for their deprivation and social instability. These are areas that will suffer most under climate change.

And I would like to see all coal use being seriously phased out, and those farmers demonstrating their willingness to get with the programme rewarded - plenty are already doing this in all kinds of ways. Be nice to see them get a pat on the back instead of the kicking the industry regularly gets...

And please please please - forget gondolas. Bloody awful ugly things...

RE: Emission reduction plan - yay or nay? - C_T_Russell - 17-05-2022

(17-05-2022, 10:26 AM)harm_less Wrote: There's no shortage of comment going on regarding the government's announcement yesterday.

So, does the program go far enough, is it too restrictive (or generous) and how successful will the plan's strategies prove to be?

Personally I see the vehicle scrapping initiative as a move in the right direction but I'm puzzled as to why the government continues to sit on its hands in regard to incentivising domestic PV installation. Distributed generation is a further incentive towards EV uptake while also reinforcing NZ's grid generation capacity and reducing transmission loading losses.
More BS as I see it.
NO FARMS NO FOOD!

Farming meat is carbon neutral, any "emissions" come from the grass itself. And farmers dont get carbon credits from the grass.

If it costs farmers more, then we pay at the supermarket.
Anyway, our greenhouse emissions are a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the world.
Why do we ship logs overseas to get processed when that consumes fuel to ship it everywhere only to come back on our shores from china?

The whole thing is hyprocritical, if this govt really cared about greenhouse emissions, they would let us trade in overseas carbon trading efforts such as reforestation in the amazon, etc.

Carbon credits use other people's good work to offset our bad. It's simply immoral. We need to stop that and make sure we don't NEED to trade off our climate sins.

As for the drop in a bucket thing, they said that about us going no nukes too. And more recently over covid. The cliche about every journey starting with a single step applies here. You cannot fill a cup unless you start with that one drop. And not starting is simply not an option for those of us who have grandchildren we love.

I use an electric vehicle to go places, like shopping, or doctors, or just toodling around. I know how far my charged batteries will take me. So I don't go further afield and risk running out of power. That'd be really dumb.

It is a simple thing really, and very like planning any other kind of journey so there is no running out of avgas, or petrol, or rocket fuel whatever.

"Oooops, sorry Houston, we seem to be out of burn. Can you send a tanker please? We're halfway to Mars...."

RE: Emission reduction plan - yay or nay? - Lilith7 - 17-05-2022

If nothing else, it is at least a start & for some, a reminder that we need to do this & more. We can no longer afford to muck about & put things off hoping they might improve if we do nothing.
The Greens acknowledge that it isn't enough by itself, understand that we no longer have a choice & must do this & more without further delay.
Cutting pollution makes good sense & is something which every country also needs to do, as does cleaner transport especially in cities.

Its going to be interesting to see what China does - they've been building 'green cities' for a while now.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2020-09-24/china-is-building-green-cities-but-struggling-to-find-residents

RE: Emission reduction plan - yay or nay? - Olive - 17-05-2022

That cartoon is pretty insulting to the NZ public.   Is there anyone who would be so stupid as to not plan their journey around fuel?

The only thing that is insulting is that there are not enough Charging points around at this stage, FFS Olive cant you see the funny side of things, I bet your fun at parties.

I usually avoid parties populated by morons.

What you really mean is no one invites you because they know what your like!

*you're*

Lol...

RE: Emission reduction plan - yay or nay? - joe 90 - 17-05-2022

News headline 2035 ----------- Car makers reveal plans to remake ICE powered cars & oil refineries to remake fossil fuel , the last estimate was hundred trillion barrels of known reserves left This due to the supply of cobalt & other rare earth minerals has dried up .as ww production of EVs has exceeded 10 billion cars. Anyone wanting a new EV must trade in their old one for mineral extraction first & go on waiting list .

They can have the cobalt in my hip implant...

RE: Emission reduction plan - yay or nay? - harm_less - 17-05-2022

(17-05-2022, 03:45 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: The only thing that is insulting is that there are not enough Charging points around at this stage, FFS Olive cant you see the funny side of things, I bet your fun at parties.
Maybe Olive is more in the know than you are. Case in point.

(17-05-2022, 05:22 PM)joe 90 Wrote: News  headline  2035  ----------- Car makers  reveal  plans to  remake ICE  powered cars    &    oil refineries to  remake    fossil  fuel  ,    the  last estimate  was      hundred trillion barrels of known reserves  left      This due to  the supply of cobalt  & other    rare earth minerals has  dried up .as  ww  production of EVs has exceeded  10  billion cars.    Anyone wanting a  new  EV must trade in their old  one for mineral extraction  first  &  go on waiting list    .
Cobalt is so last decade. The popular battery technology is now Lithium Iron Phosphate. And you do realise that cobalt is required in the oil refining process and in ICE componentry, right?

My hip was 2006...

harm_less
So there are one or two charging points around,
but I was basically on about Olive lacking in a sense of humour.

(17-05-2022, 04:24 PM)Olive Wrote: *you're*

Well done I can see you have managed to get the spellcheck to work!