Too Many Message Boards
More in hospital with flu than covid... - Printable Version

+- Too Many Message Boards (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums)
+-- Forum: General Topics (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Covid-19 (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=73)
+--- Thread: More in hospital with flu than covid... (/showthread.php?tid=1420)

Pages: 1 2

More in hospital with flu than covid... - C_T_Russell - 21-06-2022

https://www.1news.co.nz/2022/06/20/flu-more-punishing-than-covid-19-some-patients-say/

What a frikkin joke!
Seriously? Covid cant be that a bad thing this confirms. Having had flu in the past, I can attest to this too, Covid was nowhere near as bad as having the flu, although i would describe the symptoms as different.

I dont think we have anything more to worry about with covid...
I dont want to see mask mandates to be the next normal to combat the common cold or flu.

RE: More in hospital with flu than covid... - Praktica - 21-06-2022

Oh dear - still whining the same whine we were hearing back in 2020. Why not either educate yourself about realities, or go somewhere where they welcome unhinged and ignorant commentary?

RE: More in hospital with flu than covid... - king1 - 21-06-2022

From what I can gather it is because the flu season is particularly worse this year, due to it not having been around for a couple of years...
A lot of people have died from covid worldwide, even if you factor in perceived problems with reporting - not sure they would agree with you that Covid aint that bad... ...

RE: More in hospital with flu than covid... - Oh_hunnihunni - 21-06-2022

Exactly why I got the flu jab, and signed up to the flu tracker. Now I know how the bugs are spreading, and where...

As for how bad it is, if you have a viral infection and get away with minimal effects, surely that should be celebrated. It means you are in good health. There are any number of us though who don't have that blessing and sometimes when we see comments like that we feel a wee bit unseen.

RE: More in hospital with flu than covid... - undercoverhippycop - 21-06-2022

If you need a jab then get one. Apart from the super spreader effect it creates, it's appropriate for some. I got both variants and survived and my immune system is happy. Tried to get it again but alas nothing! Can't wait to get the new flue!.

RE: More in hospital with flu than covid... - Praktica - 21-06-2022

(21-06-2022, 04:20 PM)undercoverhippycop Wrote: If you need a jab then get one.  Apart from the super spreader effect it creates, it's appropriate for some.  I got both variants and survived and my immune system is happy.  Tried to get it again but alas nothing! Can't wait to get the new flue!.
Why - is your fire not drawing properly?

Anyone who wants to get sick has mistaken their own reality.

Health and fitness and good food make you strong and able to stand up against annoying germs which is a better option than injecting and hoping for the best lol

(21-06-2022, 06:17 PM)undercoverhippycop Wrote: Health and fitness and good food make you strong and able to stand up against annoying germs which is a better option than injecting and hoping for the best lol
I would imagine there are several million deceased over the last few years that would disagree with that statement, including an awful lot of anti-vaxxers...

Meatloaf made the list...
https://www.reddit.com/r/HermanCainAward/wiki/hall-of-cain

RE: More in hospital with flu than covid... - SueDonim - 21-06-2022

(21-06-2022, 11:01 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: https://www.1news.co.nz/2022/06/20/flu-more-punishing-than-covid-19-some-patients-say/

What a frikkin joke!
Seriously? Covid cant be that a bad thing this confirms. Having had flu in the past, I can attest to this too, Covid was nowhere near as bad as having the flu, although i would describe the symptoms as different.

I dont want to see mask mandates to be the next normal to combat the common cold or flu.

The current situation just shows how important vaccination is. The flu is currently more serious because not everyone is vaccinated so more are being more seriously affected. And far too many people are not wearing masks when they should, and not keeping an appropriate distance from others.

(21-06-2022, 06:17 PM)undercoverhippycop Wrote: Health and fitness and good food make you strong and able to stand up against annoying germs which is a better option than injecting and hoping for the best lol
Yes and aging is a natural process that lowers the immunity, reduces resilience, allows waste products to build up, and generally prepares the organism for death.
Encouraging the process through exposure to viral pathogens is as silly as not taking advantage of every scientific advance to protect ourselves.
But hey, young people never think they are going to die. It is a particular kind of ignorance.

RE: More in hospital with flu than covid... - SueDonim - 21-06-2022

(21-06-2022, 04:20 PM)undercoverhippycop Wrote: If you need a jab then get one.  Apart from the super spreader effect it creates, it's appropriate for some.  I got both variants and survived and my immune system is happy.  Tried to get it again but alas nothing! Can't wait to get the new flue!.

So you survived. Many didn't. And many more who have had covid will have long term health problems. Just because you were lucky doesn't mean anything should be taken for granted. And why would you want to have any kind of illness to drag you down?

Health and fitness help to keep you healthy, until a virus comes along that uses the body's own defences against it - as the original SARS virus did. The current SARS virus that causes covid clearly isn't as bad as that - yet. Injecting and "hoping for the best" is a much better bet than the risk of getting covid and having long term disability, or worse.

RE: More in hospital with flu than covid... - Olive - 21-06-2022

Oh for goodness' sake, where are you getting this absolute nonsense from?   "Annoying germs"?   A strange and childish way of describing a potentially deadly virus.   And those of us who are fully vaccinated are not "hoping for the best", we are following the advice of highly educated and focussed medical and epidemiological professionals.

i suggest you grow up and get an education.

Thank you all for your kind positive comments :-)

Awwww...

We are a mean ole bunch that's for sure.

RE: More in hospital with flu than covid... - C_T_Russell - 21-06-2022

(21-06-2022, 07:52 PM)SueDonim Wrote:
(21-06-2022, 11:01 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: https://www.1news.co.nz/2022/06/20/flu-more-punishing-than-covid-19-some-patients-say/

What a frikkin joke!

The current situation just shows how important vaccination is. The flu is currently more serious because not everyone is vaccinated so more are being more seriously affected. And far too many people are not wearing masks when they should, and not keeping an appropriate distance from others.
I would really like to see how flu deaths get reported this year, will be an interesting read.
Ive never bothered with flu shots, only had flu about 2-3 times over the last 20 years. Common colds are miserable too but they dont even have a vaccine for those yet, probably no point as they keep mutating so much.

If anything positive comes out of this covid situation is that we might see more people be more considerate and stay home when sick, no brainer really.

RE: More in hospital with flu than covid... - undercoverhippycop - 22-06-2022

Mr Russel is way smart.

RE: More in hospital with flu than covid... - Praktica - 22-06-2022

Mr Russell has a follower!

RE: More in hospital with flu than covid... - SueDonim - 22-06-2022

(21-06-2022, 11:42 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(21-06-2022, 07:52 PM)SueDonim Wrote: The current situation just shows how important vaccination is. The flu is currently more serious because not everyone is vaccinated so more are being more seriously affected. And far too many people are not wearing masks when they should, and not keeping an appropriate distance from others.
I would really like to see how flu deaths get reported this year, will be an interesting read.
Ive never bothered with flu shots, only had flu about 2-3 times over the last 20 years. Common colds are miserable too but they dont even have a vaccine for those yet, probably no point as they keep mutating so much.

If anything positive comes out of this covid situation is that we might see more people be more considerate and stay home when sick, no brainer really.

Yes, it will be interesting to see how the season pans out and hopefully we'll be given more information than usual.

Common colds are difficult to vaccinate against because there are simply so many viruses. Some are coronaviruses like covid and flu, some are not and they are the ones that are very difficult to avoid because they don't wash off hands/surfaces as easily as coronaviruses. The good news is that work is well underway on a vaccine that will cover all coronaviruses. Might still be some time away yet though but when it's available it will also help the fight against some colds.

Which makes your last point paramount. People who are sick should stay home. I would add that if they can't, at least wear a mask and keep well away from others. And ditto for the rest of us who need to go out knowing that there are a lot of sick people out there who don't care about spreading their bugs.