Too Many Message Boards
Need help with web domain zones - Printable Version

+- Too Many Message Boards (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums)
+-- Forum: PC World Forums (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=86)
+--- Forum: PressF1 (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=87)
+--- Thread: Need help with web domain zones (/showthread.php?tid=1871)

Need help with web domain zones - Midavalo - 30-01-2023

Hi all,

I need some help/guidance on website domain name zones, or whatever it's called.  I have a domain name registered with GoDaddy.com, and webhosting through another service, and up to now everything has been working OK.  My DNS zones have been managed on GoDaddy with the "A-Record" pointing at an IP address on my webhost.  I believe there were two options here - one to point the "Nameservers" and the other to point the "A-Record" - the A-Record option was chosen because my email is managed through GoDaddy and I think I was told back in the day that it is easier to leave that as-is so I don't have to re-point email back to GoDaddy... I'm not really sure though Smile

So fast-forward to now, I'm switching webhost to a new (to me) service and they are recommending pointing Nameservers rather than A-Record...  (Changing the A-Record will work so the website will function, but other automated features of the new host will not work)

Will this break my email?  Will I need to do/change anything on the Godaddy settings to make the email continue to function?  Will I need to do/change anything on the new host to make my email continue to function?  I want to leave my email managed through Godaddy.

My vague understanding is that pointing the nameservers from Godaddy to my new host will mean that all the DNS zone settings will now be managed on the new host, is that correct??  Or have I misunderstood (entirely likely)?!

My email has been set up how it is for years, and it has worked well, and I do not want to break it.  The website is secondary, the email is essential Big Grin

Would appreciate any advice

Cheers,
Mike.

RE: Need help with web domain zones - king1 - 30-01-2023

(30-01-2023, 10:31 AM)Midavalo Wrote: Hi all,

I need some help/guidance on website domain name zones, or whatever it's called.  I have a domain name registered with GoDaddy.com, and webhosting through another service, and up to now everything has been working OK.  My DNS zones have been managed on GoDaddy with the "A-Record" pointing at an IP address on my webhost.  I believe there were two options here - one to point the "Nameservers" and the other to point the "A-Record" - the A-Record option was chosen because my email is managed through GoDaddy and I think I was told back in the day that it is easier to leave that as-is so I don't have to re-point email back to GoDaddy... I'm not really sure though Smile

So fast-forward to now, I'm switching webhost to a new (to me) service and they are recommending pointing Nameservers rather than A-Record...  (Changing the A-Record will work so the website will function, but other automated features of the new host will not work)

Will this break my email?  Will I need to do/change anything on the Godaddy settings to make the email continue to function?  Will I need to do/change anything on the new host to make my email continue to function?  I want to leave my email managed through Godaddy.

My vague understanding is that pointing the nameservers from Godaddy to my new host will mean that all the DNS zone settings will now be managed on the new host, is that correct??  Or have I misunderstood (entirely likely)?!

My email has been set up how it is for years, and it has worked well, and I do not want to break it.  The website is secondary, the email is essential Big Grin

Would appreciate any advice

Cheers,
Mike.
your understanding is correct, changing the DNS servers to the web developers or whoever, will break your current email *unless* they also add an MX zone record pointing back to Godaddy (kinda pointless)

My personal opinion on this is that web developers should not be managing your email, as you will probably lose the ability to add/change /remove etc.  and i'm sure the only reason they really insist on the DNS option is to pick up the email hosting fees...

The larger website hosting platforms like wix, weebly, wordspace, I would probably be ok with managing your email, but again it will break your existing mail, and probably be hosted offshore...

my personal preference is as you have done in the past, leave DNS and email alone and just use an A record to point to the Website