Too Many Message Boards
Those wild rumours during/after cyclone Gabrielle - Printable Version

+- Too Many Message Boards (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums)
+-- Forum: General Topics (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: News and Current Affairs (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Thread: Those wild rumours during/after cyclone Gabrielle (/showthread.php?tid=1957)

Those wild rumours during/after cyclone Gabrielle - Lilith7 - 06-03-2023

There were rumours of 'hundreds of deaths' having occurred during the cyclone from various sources; quite a bit has been traced to this chap, Tim Baker.

That he runs a mental health charity is slightly alarming.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300819504/cyclone-gabrielle-passed-then-the-rumours-of-hundreds-of-deaths-began

Eleven dead?” the man says to the camera, shaking his head in disbelief.
My [source] reckons more like a thousand, maybe more.”

In online videos, Baker – who runs a mental health charity and achieved brief online notoriety for selling Donald Trump-themed toilet paper – became an on-the-ground witness to the carnage. He posted daily reports on his Facebook page, and was interviewed by Counterspin Media and Liz Gunn, videos that have been viewed tens of thousands of times combined.
His reports included an intriguing claim, attributed to two unnamed people he said had “very high roles in emergency services”: The death toll was much higher than what was officially reported.
It started with his first video on February 21, around a week after the cyclone had passed.
From the stories I’ve heard so far, the death toll is a lot higher... the 11 we’re being told is not accurate,” Baker said.

They’re not rumours, guys. The morgue is full at Hastings hospital… the makeshift morgue at Napier port is full. They’ve run out of body bags, okay?” he said in one video.
This is the truth, and it’s not my intention to scare anyone or hurt anyone.”
While the rumours started soon after the cyclone passed, they kicked into gear around February 20.
The Daily Telegraph - a New Zealand news aggregating website - published a story based on what it said was an interview with a helicopter pilot.
I’ve seen hundreds of dead bodies,” the pilot, who is not identified, reportedly said.
The Brian Tamaki-associated Freedoms & Rights Coalition shared the story on Facebook. Its page has 55,000 followers.
That same day, another Facebook post – titled DEAD BODIES MOUNT UP – claimed a death toll of more than 2000: “This is NZ’s worst disaster by a factor of 10,” it said. 

On February 25, Ickonic – a website associated with the British conspiracy theorist David Icke – broadcast an interview with New Zealand content creator Lingo Lewi.
We can’t even fathom how many bodies there are,” Lingo Lewi said.

A common charge against the mainstream media in these communities is that it’s sensationalistic and obsessed with climate change. The ‘unreported death toll’ theory supposes the same media has done the opposite: Downplayed a natural disaster that can plausibly be linked to climate change."

RE: Those wild rumours during/after cyclone Gabrielle - C_T_Russell - 06-03-2023

It was Tims video where I first heard of it, his sources seemed trustworthy going by what he was saying.

RE: Those wild rumours during/after cyclone Gabrielle - Kenj - 06-03-2023

(06-03-2023, 11:10 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: There were rumours of 'hundreds of deaths' having occurred during the cyclone from various sources; quite a bit has been traced to this chap, Tim Baker.

That he runs a mental health charity is slightly alarming.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300819504/cyclone-gabrielle-passed-then-the-rumours-of-hundreds-of-deaths-began

Eleven dead?” the man says to the camera, shaking his head in disbelief.
My [source] reckons more like a thousand, maybe more.”

In online videos, Baker – who runs a mental health charity and achieved brief online notoriety for selling Donald Trump-themed toilet paper – became an on-the-ground witness to the carnage. He posted daily reports on his Facebook page, and was interviewed by Counterspin Media and Liz Gunn, videos that have been viewed tens of thousands of times combined.
His reports included an intriguing claim, attributed to two unnamed people he said had “very high roles in emergency services”: The death toll was much higher than what was officially reported.
It started with his first video on February 21, around a week after the cyclone had passed.
From the stories I’ve heard so far, the death toll is a lot higher... the 11 we’re being told is not accurate,” Baker said.

They’re not rumours, guys. The morgue is full at Hastings hospital… the makeshift morgue at Napier port is full. They’ve run out of body bags, okay?” he said in one video.
This is the truth, and it’s not my intention to scare anyone or hurt anyone.”
While the rumours started soon after the cyclone passed, they kicked into gear around February 20.
The Daily Telegraph - a New Zealand news aggregating website - published a story based on what it said was an interview with a helicopter pilot.
I’ve seen hundreds of dead bodies,” the pilot, who is not identified, reportedly said.
The Brian Tamaki-associated Freedoms & Rights Coalition shared the story on Facebook. Its page has 55,000 followers.
That same day, another Facebook post – titled DEAD BODIES MOUNT UP – claimed a death toll of more than 2000: “This is NZ’s worst disaster by a factor of 10,” it said. 

On February 25, Ickonic – a website associated with the British conspiracy theorist David Icke – broadcast an interview with New Zealand content creator Lingo Lewi.
We can’t even fathom how many bodies there are,” Lingo Lewi said.

A common charge against the mainstream media in these communities is that it’s sensationalistic and obsessed with climate change. The ‘unreported death toll’ theory supposes the same media has done the opposite: Downplayed a natural disaster that can plausibly be linked to climate change."

He's in the finance sector. I think he is a merchant banker?  Big Grin Big Grin

RE: Those wild rumours during/after cyclone Gabrielle - king1 - 06-03-2023

What a gullible fool he is...

RE: Those wild rumours during/after cyclone Gabrielle - Praktica - 06-03-2023

(06-03-2023, 11:24 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: It was Tims video where I first heard of it, his sources seemed trustworthy going by what he was saying.

Really? No wonder you peddle crap on here!

RE: Those wild rumours during/after cyclone Gabrielle - Lilith7 - 06-03-2023

(06-03-2023, 01:00 PM)king1 Wrote: What a gullible fool he is...

Spreading untruthful bollocks at such a time was both naïve & unbelievably foolish. He surely must have realised that such 'news' would be likely to cause extreme anguish across the country especially for those with family or friends who were out of contact.

RE: Those wild rumours during/after cyclone Gabrielle - Olive - 06-03-2023

Naive and foolish, mainly attention-seeking to a sociopathic level. I would say "childish" except that I don't think many children are that stupid.

RE: Those wild rumours during/after cyclone Gabrielle - nzoomed - 06-03-2023

(06-03-2023, 02:43 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(06-03-2023, 01:00 PM)king1 Wrote: What a gullible fool he is...

Spreading untruthful bollocks at such a time was both naïve & unbelievably foolish. He surely must have realised that such 'news' would be likely to cause extreme anguish across the country especially for those with family or friends who were out of contact.
Blows me away how people can fabricate such crap and get away with it for so long.
He has taken people for a ride and caused distress.
Are his sources truly emergency services like he claims? I doubt it.

RE: Those wild rumours during/after cyclone Gabrielle - Oh_hunnihunni - 07-03-2023

Except looking at some of the film and still images from those days, it is amazing we escaped with so few fatalities. Perhaps it is our first world status, maybe if we hadn't had that we might have seen a very different outcome.

I can't comment beyond the obvious on media motivations, but I think we were lucky this time round. And I think the authorities know it.