Too Many Message Boards
Bricked PC? - Printable Version

+- Too Many Message Boards (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums)
+-- Forum: PC World Forums (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=86)
+--- Forum: PressF1 (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=87)
+--- Thread: Bricked PC? (/showthread.php?tid=2151)

Pages: 1 2

Bricked PC? - Bryan - 22-05-2023

I have been building up a PC from 2nd hand parts and have struck a hurdle on the last jump. 

I have a Gigabyte B250H D3h m/b. 16Gb RAM. A Crucial SSD. 600w PSU. I was running the system happily enough from a i5 6500 CPU using the M/B HDMI port.

The final straw was adding a EVGA GTX960 GPU. It was running the PC well until I ran Userbenchmark to see how much better the new rig was. The program ran well enough but then I lost all power to the monitor. The fans are running including the CPU and the various lights on the M/B are also lighting up. 

However, there is nothing showing on the monitor other than "cable not connected". I have removed the "new" GPU and gone back to the M/B HDMI port after removing the new GPU but alas same result "Cable not connected". I have left the PC for a while now unplugged and on trying again, I still get the same result. I could try the GPU on another backup PC but I am afraid I might get the same result. Any help please?

RE: Bricked PC? - king1 - 22-05-2023

tried clearing the cmos? it's usually a jumper on the mobo somewhere, manual will show you where

RE: Bricked PC? - Wainuitech - 22-05-2023

Pop out the CMOS battery, replace it (they are about $5-6) Or remove it and put it back in ( sometimes works) . Sometimes if a battery fails the Computer wont boot at all, but all fans run etc.

The other thing could also be a monitor problem, check the connections are tight, and its plugged in fully ( dont laugh - Had self proclaimed experts say the computer is stuffed when the power cable was half out). If you have a 2nd monitor try that as well.

Sometimes you have to change things one at a time to eliminate them or confirm where the problem is.

RE: Bricked PC? - Bryan - 22-05-2023

Thank you both. It was the CMOS. I removed it for a minute or two, Reinstalled and no issues when plugged into the M/B HDMI. The next trick will be to introduce the GTX960. Thanks again.

Well, tried the GTX960 and same as above problem. Removed it, removed the CMOS battery, reinstalled and attached the HDMI cable to the m/b. Tried to restart, no go. I removed the HDMI cable from the PC and then reattached it. PC started, Talk about crazy! At least I have something to occupy me now. Looks like the GPU is suspect. Any idea how or who could confirm?

(22-05-2023, 07:20 PM)Bryan Wrote: Well, tried the GTX960 and same as above problem. Removed it, removed the CMOS battery, reinstalled and attached the HDMI cable to the m/b. Tried to restart, no go. I removed the HDMI cable from the PC and then reattached it. PC started, Talk about crazy! At least I have something to occupy me now. Looks like the GPU is suspect. Any idea how or who could confirm?

starting to sound suspect...

Tried again, GTX960 failed but so did the HDMI on the m/b. Back to square one. I will get another CMOS battery tomorrow and maybe that will be the fix. I am not giving up on the GPU just yet as it seems me to be outside the graphics hardware.

(22-05-2023, 07:51 PM)Bryan Wrote: Tried again, GTX960 failed but so did the HDMI on the m/b.  Back to square one. I will get another CMOS battery tomorrow and maybe that will be the fix. I am not giving up on the GPU just yet as it seems me to be outside the graphics hardware.

hdmi cables can be finnicky as well, not heard of one locking up a pc but stranger things have happened, try swapping it out.  Now failing monitors i have seen locking up a pc so might be worth swapping that out as well for testing.

RE: Bricked PC? - Bryan - 23-05-2023

I truly do not know what's going on here. Last night it was all a hell of a thing. I left the PC unplugged over-night. Turned it on this morning, not using the GTX960, and it has fired up as though there was never a problem. I am a little loathe to use the new GTX but I guess I will never know if I don't.

RE: Bricked PC? - king1 - 23-05-2023

(23-05-2023, 06:07 AM)Bryan Wrote: I truly do not know what's going on here. Last night it was all a hell of a thing. I left the PC unplugged over-night. Turned it on this morning, not using the GTX960, and it has fired up as though there was never a problem. I am a little loathe to use the new GTX but I guess I will never know if I don't.

this is an occasion for leaving it as is for a day/week or so to test stability, before putting the gpu back in .
you need some certainty first I would think ...

you could also try a program like burnintest to stress it as is

Tried the GPU again and it has stuffed it again. Will leave it for now, forget the GPU and hope it stabilises. Otherwise, my plan at this time would be to replace the m/b and not use this GPU.

RE: Bricked PC? - Wainuitech - 23-05-2023

Just looking up the actual card.

2 things come to mind.

1. Is the power Supply large enough ?? Its listed as 400W Minimum, which along with everything else I would go at a minimum of 500 even 600.
2. Have you plugged in the power to the back of the card ?  Not all card have one/ two but if it has and its not plugged in it will be dead in the water. ( see pic)

Edited: looking at the manual it requires a 8 pin PCI power Connector.

Power supply is 600w. Yes, I plugged the power supply into the card. The GPU is actually the 2Gb version with a 6 pin. The 4Gb version has the 8 pin. 

I have been trying to activate the m/b without the GPU, using the CPU to drive the rear port HDMI which was working before I started messing around. That too is dead. I am now thinking of replacing the B250M board with my old legacy board and forgetting all about the new GPU. That board of course will be Windows 10. When I can afford a later board, I will test the GPU on the legacy board before I install the later board and hope it will go OK.

RE: Bricked PC? - Bryan - 24-05-2023

Final result: I have added the GTX960 to another m/b and I am pleased to say that it works other than fan noise (maybe oil somewhere?). It would seem that the m/b for some reason has failed and will bear investigation. Thanks for all the help, advice and hand holding.

RE: Bricked PC? - king1 - 24-05-2023

be interesting to see how the original mobo goes under a stress test

RE: Bricked PC? - Agent_24 - 24-05-2023

(23-05-2023, 11:50 AM)Bryan Wrote: Power supply is 600w. Yes, I plugged the power supply into the card.

But, is it a good PSU? 600 watts label means nothing if it's a shitty Hyena or something.

RE: Bricked PC? - Bryan - 25-05-2023

It's a Zalman. I believe they are pretty good.

RE: Bricked PC? - Bryan - 02-06-2023

Well it's happened again with another board. The only common problem is that it involves adding an ASUS PCE-AX3000 Wifi card. As with the other board I installed it in the 2nd PCie slot and wonder now if it should have been in a smaller slot. HDMI did not work giving me a message that there was no signal. I have today connected a VGA cable and through my monitor I am able to get into the PC by selecting PC (VGA) on the monitor. If I select HDMI on the monitor I now do get a screen that only shows the Taskbar and I am not able to use keyboard or mouse (Wifi) ie no cables? So I am somewhere along the way knowing I haven't totally stuffed the m/b. I intend to use cabled Keyboard and mouse to see if I can use the HDMI screen. If so, Should I download drivers or something?

Cabled keyboard/mouse don't work!

RE: Bricked PC? - king1 - 02-06-2023

addon cards can certainly cause these sort of problems, seen it before many times.

The pcie 16 slots are backwards and cross compatible
https://pcguide101.com/motherboard/is-pcie-backward-compatible/

RE: Bricked PC? - Agent_24 - 02-06-2023

But some boards share lanes between the PCI-E 16x slots, which may have something to do with it.

Try the Wi-Fi card in another slot. Could also be that the Wi-Fi card is faulty.n