Too Many Message Boards
Maui fires - Printable Version

+- Too Many Message Boards (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums)
+-- Forum: General Topics (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: News and Current Affairs (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Thread: Maui fires (/showthread.php?tid=2396)

Maui fires - Lilith7 - 13-08-2023

So far at least 89 people are known to have died but may well be more.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66489815

[b]Additional expert support has been deployed to Hawaii, where forensic work is continuing to find victims of the devastating wildfires.[/b]
At least 89 people are known to have died but there are fears this number will rise further, with hundreds still unaccounted for.
Many more remain in emergency shelters after fleeing from the flames.
Firefighting efforts are continuing in parts of the island of Maui, including around the devastated town of Lahaina.
Mr Greenberg added that while close to 1,000 people are still yet to be contacted, some of these may be safe but out of reach for a number of reasons.
Hawaii Governor Josh Green visited Maui on Saturday and told reporters he was expecting to see "significantly higher numbers" of fatalities in the coming days.
"It will certainly be the worst natural disaster Hawaii ever faced," he said.
"It may be the worst fire that America ever faced."

The main road to Lahaina was briefly re-opened to residents on Saturday, before quickly being closed again.
The Kahakuloa road is open, but locals say it's far too dangerous to attempt to drive that way. The road - known simply here as "the backroad" to Lahaina - is barely wide enough for one car, has many hair-pin turns, and a steep drop-off.
Residents are furious about the decision to keep the main road closed to the potentially homeless survivors.
Hundreds who fled with proof of their residency are waiting in traffic, hopeful that they will be allowed through. But with the queue of cars stretching for about a mile, and news that the road has shut once again, they don't know whether they'll be forced to turn around.

Liz Germansky, who lost her home in the fire, is angry about the response. "The government's getting in the way of people helping," she says, while sat in the same traffic queue.

RE: Maui fires - Oh_hunnihunni - 13-08-2023

According to the reporter on Al Jaz, the majority of those most affected are the workers for the resorts living in rental accommodation and existing on low wages, and they have lost everything...

It seems to be the same group most vulnerable to the devastating effects of climate change.

RE: Maui fires - Lilith7 - 13-08-2023

(13-08-2023, 03:25 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: According to the reporter on Al Jaz, the majority of those most affected are the workers for the resorts living in rental accommodation and existing on low wages, and they have lost everything...

It seems to be the same group most vulnerable to the devastating effects of climate change.

Yep, its usually those with least who tend to be most affected by disasters.

I read a Ben Elton book ages ago in which the wealthy had a rocket organised to head to the moon where they were building a luxurious bolt hole... Rolleyes

RE: Maui fires - harm_less - 13-08-2023

(13-08-2023, 03:35 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(13-08-2023, 03:25 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: According to the reporter on Al Jaz, the majority of those most affected are the workers for the resorts living in rental accommodation and existing on low wages, and they have lost everything...

Yep, its usually those with least who tend to be most affected by disasters.

I read a Ben Elton book ages ago in which the wealthy had a rocket organised to head to the moon where they were building a luxurious bolt hole... Rolleyes
Just be wary if your fellow passengers are telephone sanitisers, account executives and hairdressers Wink That story doesn't end well.

RE: Maui fires - Lilith7 - 13-08-2023

(13-08-2023, 03:42 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(13-08-2023, 03:35 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Yep, its usually those with least who tend to be most affected by disasters.

Just be wary if your fellow passengers are telephone sanitisers, account executives and hairdressers Wink That story doesn't end well.

Big Grin Big Grin

RE: Maui fires - king1 - 13-08-2023

(13-08-2023, 03:42 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(13-08-2023, 03:35 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Yep, its usually those with least who tend to be most affected by disasters.

Amen to that...

RE: Maui fires - yousnoozeyoulose - 13-08-2023

My right-wing thought for the day (you gotta have one)... it's strange that Biden hasn't been chastised by the media for not going to the scene of a natural disaster if only to pointlessly get in the way like most Presidents before him.

Yes, it's really just a chance for a photo op, walking around in sunglasses, silently nodding, shaking hands with a few people, thoughts and prayers, etc. but I feel that if Criminal-in-Chief Trump was still President, the media would be making a big song & dance about him staying put at Mar-a-Lago to play a round of golf.

An unbiased media is a good media, even one that has a tendency to focus on trivialities.

RE: Maui fires - Oh_hunnihunni - 14-08-2023

I watched an Al Jaz doco on talkback in America. Apparently it used to be media insisted on telling both sides of a story, but gave that away in favour of being entertaining...

RE: Maui fires - king1 - 14-08-2023

(14-08-2023, 06:21 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I watched an Al Jaz doco on talkback in America. Apparently it used to be media insisted on telling both sides of a story, but gave that away in favour of being entertaining...

A doco I watched on January 6th riots described it as nowadays the different forms of media are narrowcasting rather than broadcasting, so because they all now have a very limited audience the programming they have is targeted at their very specific audience demographic.

RE: Maui fires - Lilith7 - 14-08-2023

How hard can it be to do actual proper news, giving both sides fgs.

The world is a weird place. And humans are crazy.

RE: Maui fires - harm_less - 14-08-2023

(14-08-2023, 12:10 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: How hard can it be to do actual proper news, giving both sides fgs.

As always there are ulterior motives in play. The answer is usually a matter of following the dollars.

RE: Maui fires - Lilith7 - 14-08-2023

(14-08-2023, 03:19 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(14-08-2023, 12:10 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: How hard can it be to do actual proper news, giving both sides fgs.

As always there are ulterior motives in play. The answer is usually a matter of following the dollars.

Sadly, that's likely the case.

RE: Maui fires - R2x1 - 14-08-2023

(13-08-2023, 11:22 PM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote: My right-wing thought for the day (you gotta have one)... it's strange that Biden hasn't been chastised by the media for not going to the scene of a natural disaster if only to pointlessly get in the way like most Presidents before him.

Yes, it's really just a chance for a photo op, walking around in sunglasses, silently nodding, shaking hands with a few people, thoughts and prayers, etc. but I feel that if Criminal-in-Chief Trump was still President, the media would be making a big song & dance about him staying put at Mar-a-Lago to play a round of golf.

An unbiased media is a good media, even one that has a tendency to focus on trivialities.

Any unbiased media is so purely because they get their biased aims as sadly wrong as their reporting.
Mediocre is something well beyond their aspirations of late.   They're about as useful as Euro-sourced aircraft for the Air Force. The only thing that worked with those pieces of effluent was the astonishing sales skills of the Eurotrash marketers.

(13-08-2023, 11:22 PM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote: My right-wing thought for the day (you gotta have one)... it's strange that Biden hasn't been chastised by the media for not going to the scene of a natural disaster if only to pointlessly get in the way like most Presidents before him.

Any unbiased media is so purely because they get their biased aims as sadly wrong as their reporting.
Mediocre is something well beyond their aspirations of late.   They're about as useful as Euro-sourced aircraft for the Air Force. The only thing that worked with those pieces of effluent was the astonishing sales skills of the Eurotrash marketers.