Too Many Message Boards
Special vote results - Printable Version

+- Too Many Message Boards (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums)
+-- Forum: General Topics (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Opinion and Politics (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=75)
+--- Thread: Special vote results (/showthread.php?tid=2670)

Pages: 1 2 3

Special vote results - harm_less - 03-11-2023

It sounds like TPM have gained another 2 seats, the Greens another 1 and National have lost 2 from election night's results. Long story short, Winston will be pulling Luxon's strings with Seymour also in the mix.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/301001429/live-final-election-results-imminent

Pass the popcorn Rolleyes

RE: Special vote results - Oh_hunnihunni - 03-11-2023

Should be fun. They do all rather deserve each other...

RE: Special vote results - harm_less - 03-11-2023

[Image: F9-V-bzbsAAWXD5?format=jpg&name=medium]

From Twitter with "Oh goodie. As soon as negotiations settle on lube preferences, this'll be our new government." caption.

RE: Special vote results - R2x1 - 03-11-2023

I'm a bit worried about fall-out.  We're all in the firing line.

RE: Special vote results - Oh_hunnihunni - 03-11-2023

We could dig bombshelters. But the bastards would tax every spadeful.

RE: Special vote results - Wainuiguy - 03-11-2023

The main thing - Labour are gone and gone for 6 to 9 years. 6 years of ineptitude and division have ended.

RE: Special vote results - king1 - 03-11-2023

So quick question? If winnie doesn't get his way on the Right, is there anything to stop him supporting a coalition on the left? Labour Greens, TPM, and NZF. Do the numbers stack up that way or is it not possible for some reason...

RE: Special vote results - harm_less - 03-11-2023

I can a coalition of Nat/ACT/NZF turning into a complete clusterfuck in short order. Luxon knows as much and is likely to become a possum in the headlights as Winnie and Seymour run rings around him due to Luxon's political inexperience.

Mathematically National and the Greens have enough seats between them to govern but both would need to swallow a dead rat or two for it to work. The question is whether Luxon may consider this a more stable and managable opportunity than the one he's been landed with. I suspect that a Nat/ACT/NZF coalition would see us back at the polling booths a lot sooner than 2026 with a lot of economic and credibility damage done for NZ as a result.

The next few months are going to be a rough ride and there are plenty of governmental tasks that need attention pronto so Luxon needs to put plans in place soon. Councils need decisions on where the 3 waters legislation is heading so they can budget accordingly, the looming end of the CCD has prompted a rush on EV sales while high emissions sales have stalled so the tax take to fund the CCD isn't offsetting the discounts on EVs & hybrids and Luxon as promised a mini budget before years end. Time's ticking by Christopher.

RE: Special vote results - nzoomed - 04-11-2023

Interesting how TPM got so much more votes in the specials.
Willie Jackson lost by just 4 votes!
That's pretty close. I know some seats were close on election day  but further into the night, the gap was about 1000 votes or so for labour leading, so those special votes must have undone that lead.

RE: Special vote results - Wainuiguy - 04-11-2023

(03-11-2023, 09:06 PM)harm_less Wrote: I can a coalition of Nat/ACT/NZF turning into a complete clusterfuck in short order. Luxon knows as much and is likely to become a possum in the headlights as Winnie and Seymour run rings around him due to Luxon's political inexperience.

Mathematically National and the Greens have enough seats between them to govern but both would need to swallow a dead rat or two for it to work. The question is whether Luxon may consider this a more stable and managable opportunity than the one he's been landed with. I suspect that a Nat/ACT/NZF coalition would see us back at the polling booths a lot sooner than 2026 with a lot of economic and credibility damage done for NZ as a result.

The next few months are going to be a rough ride and there are plenty of governmental tasks that need attention pronto so Luxon needs to put plans in place soon. Councils need decisions on where the 3 waters legislation is heading so they can budget accordingly, the looming end of the CCD has prompted a rush on EV sales while high emissions sales have stalled so the tax take to fund the CCD isn't offsetting the discounts on EVs & hybrids and Luxon as promised a mini budget before years end. Time's ticking by Christopher.

3 (10) waters is heading to the rubbish bin.  Councils don't have to wait to know that.  But water infrastructure wouldn't be in such a state if council is actually focused on what they are meant to do rather the nice to do.  In news today - Upper Hutt Council spends $1mil of 3 waters funds on lights for a rugby park.  You have Wellington secretly negotiating to spend $36mil to basically bail out a large corporation.

RE: Special vote results - harm_less - 04-11-2023

(04-11-2023, 08:03 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: 3 (10) waters is heading to the rubbish bin.  Councils don't have to wait to know that.  But water infrastructure wouldn't be in such a state if council is actually focused on what they are meant to do rather the nice to do.  In news today - Upper Hutt Council spends $1mil of 3 waters funds on lights for a rugby park.  You have Wellington secretly negotiating to spend $36mil to basically bail out a large corporation.
While the logic of 3 waters, or not, is still a point of debate Councils need to have clear direction from central government in order to formulate ongoing budgeting. They can't go forging ahead based on suppositions so there is a degree of urgency in Luxon pulling together a cohesive government.

RE: Special vote results - Lilith7 - 04-11-2023

(03-11-2023, 03:38 PM)harm_less Wrote: [Image: F9-V-bzbsAAWXD5?format=jpg&name=medium]

From Twitter with "Oh goodie. As soon as negotiations settle on lube preferences, this'll be our new government." caption.
Brilliant! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

(03-11-2023, 03:38 PM)harm_less Wrote: [Image: F9-V-bzbsAAWXD5?format=jpg&name=medium]

Brilliant! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

(03-11-2023, 03:22 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Should be fun. They do all rather deserve each other...

Really not sure whether to laugh or cry..... Rolleyes Big Grin

RE: Special vote results - alpha111 - 04-11-2023

What is the point in having a Serious Fraud Office in New Zealand? Oh wait, the Upper Hutt City Councillors don't have tatoos on their faces so no crime is committed.

RE: Special vote results - Oh_hunnihunni - 04-11-2023

I was intrigued to see te pati Maori saying on The Nation that they could work with anyone. Hint. Hint.

RE: Special vote results - harm_less - 04-11-2023

(04-11-2023, 12:16 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I was intrigued to see te pati Maori saying on The Nation that they could work with anyone. Hint. Hint.
The fat lady is far from singing over these results yet. She hasn't even approached the stage at this point. Undecided

(04-11-2023, 12:16 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I was intrigued to see te pati Maori saying on The Nation that they could work with anyone. Hint. Hint.

Oh please no....no one deserves Winnie. Rolleyes Big Grin

Well...except perhaps David Seymour.

RE: Special vote results - Praktica - 04-11-2023

I copied this comment from Nick's Korero

"Imagine the phone call:-
CL: Hi Winston, how are you?
WP: Mr Peters to you, sonny.
CL: Oh, sorry err Mr Peters. Now about this election result.....
WP interrupts: You need me then.
CL: Well of course we have a process and need to move ahead and get the country back on track and....
WP interrupts: Sonny, the election finished three weeks ago. You need me and I am not working with that pip-squeek from ACT so he stays out of government on a supply and whatever, I am deputy PM, Foreign Minister and my people have at least 3 cabinet seats, is that clear?
CL: We have a process and need to move ahead and get the country back on track and we have had discussions in a constructive way and I am sure we can get moving very......
WP puts the phone down
CL: Hello, hello, Winston....err sorry Mr Peters?
CL puts the phone down and turns to Nicola, "He put the phone down on me!!"
Chris Bishop and Nicola snigger behind CL's back........."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/301002063/nz-first-in-pension-age-change-and-foreign-buyers-out

"A proposed change to the age of eligibility for the pension and a plan to allow foreign buyers into the housing market for the priciest properties may be casualties of coalition talks between National and NZ First, economists say.

NZ First has campaigned on keeping the age at 65.
"It’s not a big bottom line for National, it never has been,” Eaqub said. “It was not a central part of campaign promises, and was kicking in gradually over time, anyway.”

Eaqub said a bigger question was around whether Peters would allow National to act on its plans to allow foreign buyers to purchase homes for more than $2 million, with a tax. NZ First was part of the Labour-led Government that banned the sale of existing homes to foreign buyers in 2018.

Eaqub said, between 2017 and 2020, NZ First’s main achievements had been to inject money into the regions and hold back what Labour had been able to do. “I expect that’s the role they’ll play this time as well.”

(04-11-2023, 02:46 PM)Praktica Wrote: I copied this comment from Nick's Korero

"Imagine the phone call:-
CL: Hi Winston, how are you?
WP: Mr Peters to you, sonny.
CL: Oh, sorry err Mr Peters. Now about this election result.....
WP interrupts: You need me then.
CL: Well of course we have a process and need to move ahead and get the country back on track and....
WP interrupts: Sonny, the election finished three weeks ago. You need me and I am not working with that pip-squeek from ACT so he stays out of government on a supply and whatever, I am deputy PM, Foreign Minister and my people have at least 3 cabinet seats, is that clear?
CL: We have a process and need to move ahead and get the country back on track and we have had discussions in a constructive way and I am sure we can get moving very......
WP puts the phone down
CL: Hello, hello, Winston....err sorry Mr Peters?
CL puts the phone down and turns to Nicola, "He put the phone down on me!!"
Chris Bishop and Nicola snigger behind CL's back........."

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

RE: Special vote results - Praktica - 04-11-2023

Also from Nick's Korero

RE: Special vote results - R2x1 - 04-11-2023

At least the jokes are getting better, post election.

Wink