Too Many Message Boards
Boeing emergency, mid air blow out - Printable Version

+- Too Many Message Boards (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums)
+-- Forum: General Topics (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: News and Current Affairs (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Thread: Boeing emergency, mid air blow out (/showthread.php?tid=2807)

Boeing emergency, mid air blow out - Lilith7 - 07-01-2024

Not a lot of fun for those poor people but they landed safely.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67903655

"The US airline regulator has ordered the grounding of some Boeing 737 Max 9 jets after part of one plane fell off during an Alaska Airlines flight.
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) said the inspections would affect 171 planes.

On Friday the Alaska Airlines flight had to make an emergency landing after take-off from the US state of Oregon.
Removing some of the aircraft from service is expected to cause about 60 cancellations on Saturday, the airline said in a statement.
Earlier, the FAA said it would "order the temporary grounding of certain Boeing 737 Max 9 aircraft operated by US airlines or in US territory".

Required inspections will take around four to eight hours per aircraft, it said.
In Friday's incident, the Alaska Airlines flight from Portland, Oregon to Ontario, California, had reached 16,000ft (4,876m) when it began its emergency descent, according to flight tracking data.
The airline, carrying 177 passengers and crew, landed safely back in Portland.
Images sent to news outlets showed the night sky visible through the gap in the fuselage, with insulation material and other debris also seen.

Passenger Evan Smith said: "There was a really loud bang towards the left rear of the plane and a woosh noise - and all the air masks dropped.

"They said there was a kid in that row who had his shirt sucked off him and out of the plane and his mother was holding onto him to make sure he didn't go with it."

RE: Boeing emergency, mid air blow out - nzoomed - 07-01-2024

Oops!

RE: Boeing emergency, mid air blow out - Lilith7 - 07-01-2024

That must have been so scary - I bet some of them never fly again.

RE: Boeing emergency, mid air blow out - Olive - 07-01-2024

(07-01-2024, 06:15 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: That must have been so scary - I bet some of them never fly again.

Having already resolved not to fly again (for reasons of climate crisis) I am pleased to learn of any situation that might cause people to think twice before booking a flight.   

I would be equally pleased to learn that cruise ship health disasters might result in fewer bookings, but so far it seems that cruise enthusiasts are impervious to their effects on emissions.

RE: Boeing emergency, mid air blow out - Lilith7 - 08-01-2024

(07-01-2024, 06:25 PM)Olive Wrote:
(07-01-2024, 06:15 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: That must have been so scary - I bet some of them never fly again.

Having already resolved not to fly again (for reasons of climate crisis) I am pleased to learn of any situation that might cause people to think twice before booking a flight.   

I would be equally pleased to learn that cruise ship health disasters might result in fewer bookings, but so far it seems that cruise enthusiasts are impervious to their effects on emissions.

We really need to come up with other ways to travel around the world; sooner or later some bright spark will invent something. Smile

RE: Boeing emergency, mid air blow out - nzoomed - 08-01-2024

I tend to think its poor quality control in this instance rather than aircraft design.
Boeing has been criticised in recent years over the company culture, and this may be a factor.
Could be a good wakeup call for the company.
I must say i was surprised it blew out the window so early into the flight before it had got to such a high altitude where the pressure differential would have been much, much higher.

RE: Boeing emergency, mid air blow out - Lilith7 - 08-01-2024

(08-01-2024, 11:07 AM)nzoomed Wrote: I tend to think its poor quality control in this instance rather than aircraft design.
Boeing has been criticised in recent years over the company culture, and this may be a factor.
Could be a good wakeup call for the company.
I must say i was surprised it blew out the window so early into the flight before it had got to such a high altitude where the pressure differential would have been much, much higher.

That does seem the most likely cause; they were all very lucky that it wasn't later, but as you say, this may be a good wakeup call.