Too Many Message Boards
Scanning Document to email - Printable Version

+- Too Many Message Boards (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums)
+-- Forum: PC World Forums (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=86)
+--- Forum: PressF1 (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=87)
+--- Thread: Scanning Document to email (/showthread.php?tid=2897)

Scanning Document to email - Pato - 17-02-2024

Wainuitech

I am using a Brother Printer MFC-L27130DW. I am trying to scan a document into Thunderbird to email,  and not having much success.

I think I have exhausted my efforts and would appreciate some help if you have the time please.

RE: Scanning Document to email - Wainuitech - 17-02-2024

Just had a look on mine since I have the same printer.

Went through tasks. and it said it scanned to email, even showed on the taskbar for a moment, but no idea as to where it actually went -- Wasn't in the scan folders, and email didn't open.

Followed as suggested on Brother  Brother instructions   

Tried it to another PC on the LAN as well, same thing -- Said it went to the PC / Email, but nothing else happened ??

Never really got that feature to work for years now. Usually I just scan a document, then open email and attach manually, works every time Smile

I use the Windows Scan App.

Go to the windows Store, search for "Scan" Click on Windows Scan   download and install-- Its free and works well, also like it as you can crop, scan as different output options and can use either the flat bed or Tray as a Source

Even though the Printer is only Black, it will SCAN color.

UPDATE: OK found where they went --- They scanned to the Picture Folder and created a new folder with the date -- So they didn't actually scan to any mail.  So you would still have to manually attach to an email. Haven't actually found any settings that tell it to open your actual email program.

RE: Scanning Document to email - king1 - 17-02-2024

brother printers have their own scanning software, you have that installed?
https://support.brother.com/g/b/producttop.aspx?c=nz&lang=en&prod=mfcl2713dw_as

Windows will pretty much set up printing nowadays but not the scanning, unless you use the MS scan app...

Brother have a couple of scanning options, the older Control Center 4 or the newer iPrint & Scan app
CC4 usually stores scans in the pictures folder within a subfolder ControlCenter4.
iPrint&scan usually just dumps them in the Documents iirc, and i haven't seen a way to change that location as yet...

One or the other of these is required for scanning to email from the printer itself? Is this how you're trying to scan?

The only other thing that might be relevant is often time the scan to email will open the wrong email program or not be able to find a suitable one... But details are key here, would need some error messages to know what's going on...

RE: Scanning Document to email - Pato - 17-02-2024

(17-02-2024, 09:13 AM)Wainuitech Wrote: UPDATE: OK found where Just had a look on mine since I have the same printer.

Went through tasks. and it said it scanned to email, even showed on the taskbar for a moment, but no idea as to where it actually went -- Wasn't in the scan folders, and email didn't open.

Followed as suggested on Brother  Brother instructions   

Tried it to another PC on the LAN as well, same thing -- Said it went to the PC / Email, but nothing else happened ??

Never really got that feature to work for years now. Usually I just scan a document, then open email and attach manually, works every time Smile

I use the Windows Scan App.

Go to the windows Store, search for "Scan" Click on Windows Scan   download and install-- Its free and works well, also like it as you can crop, scan as different output options and can use either the flat bed or Tray as a Source

Even though the Printer is only Black, it will SCAN color.

UPDATE: OK found where they went --- They scanned to the Picture Folder and created a new folder with the date -- So they didn't actually scan to any mail.  So you would still have to manually attach to an email. Haven't actually found any settings that tell it to open your actual email program.

Thanks wainuitech,

The Windows Scan App worked well. I sure appreciate your help.

Thanks for that information king1.

I will have a further play with it later. It is something I have not had to do.

(17-02-2024, 09:13 AM)Wainuitech Wrote:  

I also found mine in the picture folder. I looked there originally but didn't see if until you mentioned it. Live and learn eh?

RE: Scanning Document to email - nzoomed - 21-02-2024

Ive found lately that the brother software does not like working with thunderbird, seems to be an issue in windows 10 or 11.
If anyone has a solution, i would be interested to know, the brother software appears to not have been updated very recently.
Ive tried a bunch of registry hacks with not much success, reset all the default apps, mailto associations etc.
Personally I dont bother with any of the bundled software and just use NAPS2, but many users enjoy the convenience of pressing the button on the printer.

RE: Scanning Document to email - king1 - 21-02-2024

(21-02-2024, 12:09 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Ive found lately that the brother software does not like working with thunderbird, seems to be an issue in windows 10 or 11.
If anyone has a solution, i would be interested to know, the brother software appears to not have been updated very recently.
Ive tried a bunch of registry hacks with not much success, reset all the default apps, mailto associations etc.
Personally I dont bother with any of the bundled software and just use NAPS2, but many users enjoy the convenience of pressing the button on the printer.

Some light reading for you - I copied this from somewhere years ago

Quote:FIX FOR BROTHER CONTROLCENTER4 "NO DEFAULT EMAIL APPLICATION" SCAN TO EMAIL PROBLEM
THE ISSUE
One of my customers is still using Windows Live Mail as their default email client. They're currently running the Windows 10 1709 "Fall Creators Update," and sometimes for whatever reason they lose their ability to scan to email from their Brother MFC-7240 through ControlCenter4.

In previous versions of Windows 10 you could open the old control panel and go to Set Program Access and Defaults (SPAD), click on the custom radiobutton and choose live mail to fix this issue. Since the release of 1709 the link to SPAD opens up the settings app and takes you to the Default Apps page. Unfortunately choosing Windows Live Mail as the default handler for mail here doesn't fix the problem.

It turns out that this is because ControlCenter4 is using the default MAPI settings, not the default program setting that this app lets you configure. As the MAPI registry key is no longer updated when you set a default program, CC4 can't see the setting and throws this error.

THE SOLUTION
Changing the default MAPI client using the registry.

Run regedit and open this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail

You will notice that there are different sub keys for each folder. One for "Microsoft Outlook", "Outlook Express", "Opera", etc. these are the registered mail clients.

Inside the Mail folder there should be a value called "(Default)". You need to change the value to the name of one of these subfolders

For example, since I want to use Windows Live Mail, I open the "mail" folder, double click on the "Default" key, and set its value to Windows Live Mail

After hitting ok it works. If you want to use a different client just set the key to the name of one of the other subfolders in the mail folder and it should work.

and this is the reg file I use for it

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail]
@="Mozilla Thunderbird"

used it last towards the end of last year and sorted the issue - ymmv

RE: Scanning Document to email - nzoomed - 22-02-2024

(21-02-2024, 02:34 PM)king1 Wrote:
(21-02-2024, 12:09 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Ive found lately that the brother software does not like working with thunderbird, seems to be an issue in windows 10 or 11.

Some light reading for you - I copied this from somewhere years ago

Quote:FIX FOR BROTHER CONTROLCENTER4 "NO DEFAULT EMAIL APPLICATION" SCAN TO EMAIL PROBLEM
THE ISSUE
One of my customers is still using Windows Live Mail as their default email client. They're currently running the Windows 10 1709 "Fall Creators Update," and sometimes for whatever reason they lose their ability to scan to email from their Brother MFC-7240 through ControlCenter4.

In previous versions of Windows 10 you could open the old control panel and go to Set Program Access and Defaults (SPAD), click on the custom radiobutton and choose live mail to fix this issue. Since the release of 1709 the link to SPAD opens up the settings app and takes you to the Default Apps page. Unfortunately choosing Windows Live Mail as the default handler for mail here doesn't fix the problem.

It turns out that this is because ControlCenter4 is using the default MAPI settings, not the default program setting that this app lets you configure. As the MAPI registry key is no longer updated when you set a default program, CC4 can't see the setting and throws this error.

THE SOLUTION
Changing the default MAPI client using the registry.

Run regedit and open this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail

You will notice that there are different sub keys for each folder. One for "Microsoft Outlook", "Outlook Express", "Opera", etc. these are the registered mail clients.

Inside the Mail folder there should be a value called "(Default)". You need to change the value to the name of one of these subfolders

For example, since I want to use Windows Live Mail, I open the "mail" folder, double click on the "Default" key, and set its value to Windows Live Mail

After hitting ok it works. If you want to use a different client just set the key to the name of one of the other subfolders in the mail folder and it should work.

and this is the reg file I use for it

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail]
@="Mozilla Thunderbird"

used it last towards the end of last year and sorted the issue - ymmv

Yeah thats the exact same hack i used just last week.
Didnt work in this instance, but im sure its worked for me in the past.