Too Many Message Boards
HDMI ? - Printable Version

+- Too Many Message Boards (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums)
+-- Forum: PC World Forums (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=86)
+--- Forum: PressF1 (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=87)
+--- Thread: HDMI ? (/showthread.php?tid=3048)

HDMI ? - allblack - 10-04-2024

Ok, so I bought an all-in-one without understanding the HDMI v HDMI-in thing. 

I wanted the (in) to run a laptop and my Playstation. Man was I pissed when I figured out the problem...

Anyways, enough of that. Is there a way I can make the HDMI (out) port work like an HDMI-in?

I've tried Googling etc but either no-one has ever asked this question, or I'm asking it wrong (probably this one).

If not I'm buying a new AIO - I'm over this.

Thanks.

RE: HDMI ? - king1 - 10-04-2024

in a word, no. HDMI is dedicated to one direction only, otherwise HDMI IN, would not exist...

RE: HDMI ? - allblack - 10-04-2024

Thanks. I guessed as much, common sense really, but I had to ask.

RE: HDMI ? - Wainuitech - 10-04-2024

You can get AIO's with HDMI going both Ways, BUT they are particular PC's and have ports labeled as Such.  Usually a LOT more $$$$ As well

RE: HDMI ? - allblack - 11-04-2024

Yep, there's a Dell at NL in the Hutt that I have my eye on. $2.2k seemed reasonable.
I can't quite figure out why 'both ways' is so rare.

RE: HDMI ? - Wainuitech - 11-04-2024

One reason they are rare because while you can attach a 2nd monitor to a AIO, its not to often people want to use the AIO as the 2nd display / monitor. In non tech terms, the HDMI signals are designed to go one way in the AIO. So any AIO's that can be used as a separate Display have a HDMI-IN port. Normally there's some sort of switch / Button you press to switch between the in and out ports.

1st thing that comes to mind, think of the tap in your kitchen or bathroom - Water flows one way -- Try putting the water back up the tap Big Grin

This is why I prefer the separate PC and monitors, you can use as it designed for then if you have something different like a Playstation you simply switch over to the HDMI port and that then displays, many people use a TV - generally 3-4 HDMI ports, ours for example we have the Sky pod, Media Center (PC) Blu-ray player, all going to the 58" TV and simply change between ports 1-3 for what ever we want to use. The Audio is attached Via the 3.5mm Headphones out on the TV, going to Speakers. The inbuilt TV speakers are not that great.

RE: HDMI ? - king1 - 11-04-2024

as an option PB have quite a few ex lease AIOs, this one for example
https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/EXWKADEL7660/Dell-Optiplex-7760-27-FHD-All-in-One-PC-A-Grade-Re

the fact it is win 11 home would suggest not a commercial ex lease but the dells are usually pretty good and 27". They have a few scattered around the country

On the images it shows an HDMI IN but is labeled optional, so probably pay to ask the question first before buying, if it interests you...

RE: HDMI ? - Wainuitech - 11-04-2024

Looking at the PBTech -- Not to bad. Also check regarding No WiFi Connectivity on some of them ( if you want wifi). But thats easily fixed a Nano USB WIFI adapter.

RE: HDMI ? - allblack - 11-04-2024

(11-04-2024, 08:33 AM)king1 Wrote: as an option PB have quite a few ex lease AIOs, this one for example
https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/EXWKADEL7660/Dell-Optiplex-7760-27-FHD-All-in-One-PC-A-Grade-Re

the fact it is win 11 home would suggest not a commercial ex lease but the dells are usually pretty good and 27". They have a few scattered around the country

On the images it shows an HDMI IN but is labeled optional, so probably pay to ask the question first before buying, if it interests you...

Optional? OPTIONAL????? Jaysus - why is this so tough.

It does interest me, so yeah, I'll be asking some very straghtforward questions.

Appreciate your input.

(11-04-2024, 08:38 AM)Wainuitech Wrote: Looking at the PBTech -- Not to bad. Also check regarding No WiFi Connectivity on some of them ( if you want wifi). But thats easily fixed a Nano USB WIFI adapter.

Cheers. I tend to shop where the finance companies luv me lol

No Wifi??? Who wouldn't want wifi?

Blimmin 'eck. Something else to be paranoid about.

RE: HDMI ? - Agent_24 - 12-04-2024

Why do you want an AIO so badly?
They cost more, you can't upgrade them much, can't replace half the parts if they fail because they're custom, it's like a laptop but less portable and has no battery.

If you're worried about space or portability, just get an ITX PC or something, still rarer parts but much better upgrade/repair paths.

RE: HDMI ? - allblack - 12-04-2024

(12-04-2024, 12:23 PM)Agent_24 Wrote: Why do you want an AIO so badly?
They cost more, you can't upgrade them much, can't replace half the parts if they fail because they're custom, it's like a laptop but less portable and has no battery.

If you're worried about space or portability, just get an ITX PC or something, still rarer parts but much better upgrade/repair paths.

They do everything I need them to do, in a compact space. I don't use a PC to the extent it needs upgrading, and to me they're at the price point where when they get 'past it' they get retired and replaced. By then I consider I've got my money's worth from it.

I also like the lack of connecting cables etc.

If I needed a PC for serious or hard-core work, then yeah, an AIO would not do the job. But for now, they do very nicely.