Too Many Message Boards
TM Coin Club Thread - Printable Version

+- Too Many Message Boards (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums)
+-- Forum: General Topics (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Collectors' forum (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Coins and Numismatics (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+---- Thread: TM Coin Club Thread (/showthread.php?tid=644)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: TM Coin Club Thread - translateltd - 16-10-2022

(13-10-2022, 04:59 PM)alpha111 Wrote: Dean once asked "How does one formally qualify as a numismatist? Any exams?"
The late Philip Grierson was Professor of Numismatics in the Universities of Cambridge and Brussels (and a great writer).
The University of Otago lists 'Ancient Greek history: Numismatics' as one of many postgraduate research opportunities available at the School of Arts with Associate Professor Pat Wheatley.
The Australian Catholic University has Michael P. Theophilos who has written the book "Numismatics and Greek Lexicography". He was on Aussie TV a couple of times talking about coinage after the Queen's death.
FindAMasters states "We have 17 Masters Degrees (Numismatics)" in a few British Universities such as Warwick.
Then of course there is the American Numismatic Association which states that it offers individuals the opportunity to discover and explore the World of Money by enrolling in the School of Numismatics Diploma Program at a special offer of US$499.
Some of their free webinars are o.k.  But none of anything above is really relevant to NZ numismatics.
Some on Trade Me would qualify as experts  ie. Antiquarius, Numismatic, Translateltd etc.

Thank you for the vote of confidence!  I'd also add Macquarie Uinversity in Sydney, which has ACANS, the Australian Centre for Ancient Numismatic Studies.

RE: TM Coin Club Thread - Dean - 16-10-2022

aren't there 2 types of numismatic studies

1. The more scholarly focused where you learn a lot about ancient history and coins etc

2. the more practical where you learn about grading, identifying and the minting process etc

RE: TM Coin Club Thread - translateltd - 17-10-2022

(16-10-2022, 05:28 PM)Dean Wrote: aren't there 2 types of numismatic studies

1. The more scholarly focused where you learn a lot about ancient history and coins etc

2. the more practical where you learn about grading, identifying and the minting process etc

True - the ANA in the States offers lots of courses and seminars on that kind of thing, though the inflationary US grading puts me off!  There are some seminars by Zoom coming up from the Newman Numismatic Portal in November - I'd be happy to share the link.  Registration is free but you need to adjust to New York time for the duration.

As far as actual "qualification as a numismatist" goes, though, which I think was the original question, it's a bit of a vague concept, and some think "collector" is enough to merit the term.  But I'd like to think that wide reading and a few years/decades of examining items in your field of interest should be a prerequisite too.

NNP Symposium link:

https://nnpsymposium.org/

RE: TM Coin Club Thread - Dean - 24-10-2022

if you have too many coins (1000s!) and you can't afford the price of all the coin flips you need you can get some nice and reasonably priced little envelopes here!

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/search?member_listing=3209852&bof=VQ8wRmRv&search_string=envelopes

the 6.5cm envelopes are ideal for coins, while bigger sizes are good for storing larger sized medals etc.

RE: TM Coin Club Thread - translateltd - 27-10-2022

You really have to be careful with paper envelopes - chemical reactions from proximity to glue and even the paper quality can be an issue. Plus even the surface of the coin rubbing against paper if there's any movement could damage a good-quality item over time. I'm sure I've read something in on of the general coin books on this - though it might take some time to locate the detail now.

RE: TM Coin Club Thread - Dean - 03-11-2022

newest noble listing is up, not particularly interesting. Seems to be quite a few from verene collection (either unsold or unpaid for in previous auction!).

(27-10-2022, 06:05 AM)translateltd Wrote: You really have to be careful with paper envelopes - chemical reactions from proximity to glue and even the paper quality can be an issue.  Plus even the surface of the coin rubbing against paper if there's any movement could damage a good-quality item over time.  I'm sure I've read something in on of the general coin books on this - though it might take some time to locate the detail now.

a good point. I wouldn't put high end items in envelopes, but coin envelopes are definitely a thing for low end coins, and can be purchase from online numismatic supply outlets (not seen any in NZ).

RE: TM Coin Club Thread - Dean - 11-11-2022

I wonder how unique coins like these really are?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/antiques-collectables/coins/new-zealand-decimal/other/listing/3838753596

https://noble.com.au/auctions/lot?id=453818

RE: TM Coin Club Thread - translateltd - 12-11-2022

Well, I guess they are until another example turns up! Annoys me a little that the British North Borneo obv story is still sticking to the 3d mule. BNB coins were last struck in 1961, so I'd have thought a Hong Kong 5c obverse would have been a much more likely candidate, since they were still being struck by the Royal Mint in 1965. I've even said so in the annual JB catalogue for a number of years now.

RE: TM Coin Club Thread - Dean - 12-11-2022

ah yes that is a good point. It obviously can't be BNB. HK 5c does appear a good candidate.

RE: TM Coin Club Thread - Dean - 13-11-2022

apparently

a 1965 NZ 3d is 16.3mm
a 1965 HK 5c is 16.5mm
a 1961 Malaya 5c is 16mm

so if this is accurate then technically I'd think it should be possible to determine which of the 2 it is (assuming you had the actual NZ muled coin and the equipment necessary to make exact and precise measurements). Although the dates should be enough of a giveaway, really.

RE: TM Coin Club Thread - Dean - 13-11-2022

actually cancel that theory. I think the difference would be in the width or the rim of the coin so there is probably no way to tell.

RE: TM Coin Club Thread - alpha111 - 14-11-2022

Congratulations Dean on winning that mule, top condition and going to a good home where it will be appreciated. Lucky you lost the other one ~ far too tarnished.
On envelopes, Colonial Collectables has a coin of Honorius which states "This coin comes with an old SEABY identification envelope."
While the big ones are cased my tiny (21mm) official silver Diamond Jubilee Medal of Queen Victoria comes in a minute brown paper envelope with Royal Mint stamped on it. So paper envelopes were certainly used before we went plastic. Provided they have no sulphur or acid traces they should be O.K.

RE: TM Coin Club Thread - Dean - 14-11-2022

"From an old New Zealand collection with brown envelope"

above description to be found in the new Noble auction for 2 of the lots, one for a 1935 3d and the other a 1940 florin.

I'm not sure if the brown envelope is meant to be a selling point!

RE: TM Coin Club Thread - alpha111 - 17-11-2022

Introducing NGCX, a 10-point Grading Scale for Coins
NGC is excited to introduce NGCX, the first 10-point grading scale for coins. The 10-point grading scale has long been the standard for most collectibles, including comic books, sports cards, trading cards and more. Now, with NGCX, coin collecting will benefit from the same intuitive and approachable scale.

The new 10-point grading scale will supplement the 70-point Sheldon scale, which will continue to be used by NGC for regular submissions.
A Certified Collectibles Group affiliate, NGC is the world leader in third-party coin certification because of its constant innovation and collector focus, with NGCX being only the latest example. While there is no difference in quality between a grade on the 10-point scale and a grade on the 70-point scale, the difference for the hobby is exponential. New collectors now have a clear path to embrace coin collecting. The path is NGCX.
Will this be better or worse?

Newman Numismatic Portal Symposium. Well I registered but I don't think getting up before 4.00 am for the first presentation appeals. Maybe a couple on Saturday

RE: TM Coin Club Thread - Dean - 18-11-2022

Apparently it's for grading modern coins (1982+). Can't see the point of it really.

RE: TM Coin Club Thread - translateltd - 18-11-2022

I started out by adding six hours instead of subtracting, and got a surprise to wake up to find the symposium had already started. I want to catch the 4 a.m. one tomorrow as I know I won't get around to watching the recorded versions when they're made available a couple of weeks from now.

Another standard, and doubtless yet another conflicting one, to add into the mix. Just learning the traditional half-dozen grades and being strict about them should be enough. Having ten - or 70 - is pointless if each gradation is going to be interpreted subjectively anyway.

RE: TM Coin Club Thread - alpha111 - 21-11-2022

Listing #3872327315 Roman Coin "Here we have a Roman Coin. Looks like bronze. 40mm dia. I got this with some military badges etc and have no idea if it is rea. Please judge for yourself". YEAR RIGHT!
Obverse: IMP CAES T AEL HADR ANTONINVS AVG PIVS Reverse: PONT MAX.
Wonder what this Antoninus Pius fantasy/fake will go for, the horse looks happy that it's going to a new home.

RE: TM Coin Club Thread - translateltd - 22-11-2022

Looks almost like a Paduan. Very different to the efforts our pals in China and Hong Kong come up with.

(21-11-2022, 06:39 PM)alpha111 Wrote: Listing #3872327315 Roman Coin "Here we have a Roman Coin. Looks like bronze. 40mm dia. I got this with some military badges etc and have no idea if it is rea. Please judge for yourself". YEAR RIGHT!
Obverse: IMP CAES T AEL HADR ANTONINVS AVG PIVS Reverse: PONT MAX.
Wonder what this Antoninus Pius fantasy/fake will go for, the horse looks happy that it's going to a new home.

RE: TM Coin Club Thread - alpha111 - 05-12-2022

Listing #3894170150 DEI GRATIA 1801 CAROLUS IIII COIN . What a strong strike, must be a proof (NOT).

RE: TM Coin Club Thread - translateltd - 05-12-2022

(05-12-2022, 10:53 AM)alpha111 Wrote: Listing #3894170150  DEI GRATIA 1801 CAROLUS IIII COIN . What a strong strike, must be a proof (NOT).

Good modern rim, too.  I guess we shouldn't highlight the faults or the makers of the Shanghai Specials might decide to up their game.