Too Many Message Boards
Sayings & Quotes - Printable Version

+- Too Many Message Boards (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums)
+-- Forum: General Topics (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Sayings & Quotes (/showthread.php?tid=791)

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 04-10-2022

“Try to understand men. If you understand each other you will be kind to each other. Knowing a man well never leads to hate and almost always leads to love.”

“Some men are friends with the whole world in their hearts, & there are others that hate themselves & spread their hatred around like butter on hot bread.”

“I wonder how many people I've looked at all my life and never seen.”

“I believe a strong woman may be stronger than a man, particularly if she happens to have love in her heart. I guess a loving woman is indestructible.”

John Steinbeck

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 05-10-2022

“It's so much darker when a light goes out than it would have been if it had never shone.”

“And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual. This is what I am and what I am about.”

"Someone should write an erudite essay on the moral, physical, & aesthetic effect of the Model T Ford on the American nation. Two generations of Americans knew more about
the Ford coil than they did about the clitoris, about the planetary system of gears than the solar system of stars. With the Model T, part of the concept of private property disappeared. Pliers ceased to be privately owned & a tyre-pump belonged to the last man who picked it up. Most of the babies of the period were conceived in Model T Fords & not a few were born in them. The theory of the Anglo-Saxon home became so warped that it never quite recovered."

“It has always seemed strange to me’ said Doc ‘The things we admire in men, kindness & generosity, openness, honesty, understanding & feeling are the concomitants of failure in our system. And those traits we detest, sharpness, greed, acquisitiveness, meanness, egotism, & self interest are the traits of success. And while men admire the quality of the first they love the produce of the second.’
John Steinbeck.

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 06-10-2022

"There are people who will say that this whole account is a lie, but a thing isn't necessarily a lie even if it didn't necessarily happen."

"Now for many years we have suckled on fear & fear alone, & there is no good product of fear. Its children are cruelty & deceit & suspicion germinating in our darkness. And just as surely as we are poisoning the air with our test bombs, so are we poisoned in our souls by fear, faceless, stupid sarcomic terror."

"Possibly it feels good to these men to be superior to animals, but it does seem that if they were sure of it they would not have to prove it. Often a man who is afraid must constantly demonstrate his courage and, in the case of the hunter, must keep a tangible record of his courage. For ourselves, we have had mounted in a small hardwood plaque one perfect Borrego (big horned mountain sheep) dropping. And where another man can say “There was an animal, but because I am greater than he, he is dead & I am alive, & there is his head to prove it”, we can say, “There was an animal, & for all we know there still is & here is the proof of it. He was very healthy when last we heard of him.”

John Steinbeck.

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 07-10-2022

"He dropped his eyes but he could feel the relief on the part of the Bacons. It was not laziness if he was a rich man. Only the poor were lazy. Just as only the poor were ignorant. A rich man who didn’t know anything was spoiled or independent."

"The danger is here, for two men are not as lonely & perplexed as one. And from this first ‘we’ there grows a still more dangerous thing:”I have a little food” plus “I have none”.
The baby has a cold. Here, take this blanket. Its wool. It was my mother’s blanket – take it for the baby. This is the thing to bomb. This is the beginning – from ‘I’ to ‘we. "
John Steinbeck.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind."

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom & the enemy of growth."

"As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them."
John F. Kennedy

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 08-10-2022

"The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word 'crisis.' One brush stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger--but recognize the opportunity.”

“The rights of every man are diminished when the rights of one man are threatened.”

“If by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people-their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights and their civil liberties-someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal", then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal.”

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
John F Kennedy

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 09-10-2022

“Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.”

“As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.”

“If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.”

“Libraries should be open to all - except the censor.”

“The greatest enemy of the truth is very often not the lie - deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth - persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”

“Liberty without Learning is always in peril and Learning without Liberty is always in vain.”
John F. Kennedy

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 10-10-2022

“If not us, who?
If not now, when?”

"Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country."

"A Nation that is afraid to let its PEOPLE judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."

John Fitzgerald Kennedy

“When you teach a man to hate & fear his brother, when you teach that he is a lesser man because of his colour or his beliefs or the policies he pursues, when you teach that those who differ from you threaten your freedom or your job or your family, then you also learn to confront others not as fellow citizens but as enemies.
We must admit the vanity of our false distinctions among men & learn to find our own advancement in the search for the advancement of all. We must admit in ourselves that our children’s future cannot be built on the misfortunes of others. We must recognise that this short life can neither be ennobled nor enriched by hatred or revenge.”
Robert F Kennedy

“I’m not arguing that there are no decent people in the Tory party, but they’re like bits of sweetcorn in a turd: technically they’ve kept their integrity, but they’re still embedded in shit.”
Iain Banks

"No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory party. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin."

"The Tories, every election must have a bogey man. If you haven’t got a programme, a bogey man will do."
Aneurin Bevan

"We need to reject any politics that targets people because of race or religion. That isn’t political correctness. Its a matter of understanding what makes us strong. The world respects us not just for our arsenal; it respects us for our diversity & our openness & the way we respect every faith."
Barack Obama

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 11-10-2022

"Art, freedom and creativity will change society faster than politics."
Victor Pinchuk

"In our age there is no such thing as 'keeping out of politics.' All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred and schizophrenia."
George Orwell

"There are many men of principle in both parties in America, but there is no party of principle."     
Alexis de Tocqueville

"All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field."
Albert Einstein

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender."
 Sir Winston Churchill

"I have come to the conclusion that politics are too serious a matter to be left to the politicians."
 Charles De Gaulle

"Those who refuse to learn from history are condemned to repeat it."
 George Santayana

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
George W. Bush.

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 12-10-2022

"A politician is like quicksilver; if you try to put your finger on him, you find nothing under it."
Austin O’Malley

"Politics determine who has the power, not who has the truth."
Paul Krugman

"If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power."
Dwight D. Eisenhower

"However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion."
George Washington, Farewell Address, September 19, 1796

"Instead of giving a politician the keys to the city, it might be better to change the locks."
Doug Larson, attributed

"I used to say that politics was the second-oldest profession. I have come to know that it bears a gross similarity to the first."
Ronald Reagan

"The goal in the end is not to win elections. The goal is to change society."
Paul Krugman

” The men with the muck-rakes are often  indispensable to the well-being of society, but only if they know when to stop raking the muck. “
Theodore Roosevelt

"It was once said that the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; and those who are in the shadows of life, the sick, the needy and the handicapped."
Hubert H. Humphrey

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 13-10-2022

"Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of discussion, dissent, and debate."

"To err is human. To blame someone else is politics."

"Liberalism, above all, means emancipation - emancipation from one's fears, his inadequacies, from prejudice, from discrimination, from poverty. "
Hubert H. Humphrey

"No people on earth can be held, as a people, to be an enemy, for all humanity shares the common hunger for peace and fellowship and justice. … No nation's security and well-being can be lastingly achieved in isolation but only in effective cooperation with fellow-nations."

"A nation's hope of lasting peace cannot be firmly based upon any race in armaments but rather upon just relations and honest understanding with all other nations."

"E very gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone.
It is spending the sweat of its labourers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement.
We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron. … Is there no other way the world may live?"
Dwight Eisenhower

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 14-10-2022

"The battle for the individual rights of women is one of long standing and none of us should countenance anything which undermines it."

"You must do the things you think you cannot do."

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't."

"You have to accept whatever comes and the only important thing is that you meet it with courage and with the best that you have to give."
Eleanor Roosevelt

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 15-10-2022

"Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give."
Eleanor Roosevelt

"I know how much we owe to you—for your help during the Falklands campaign. It was you who brought democracy to Chile.”
Margaret Thatcher (to scumbag dictator Augusto Pinochet)

"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time."
Abraham Lincoln

"A nation that destroys its soils destroys itself.
Forests are the lungs of our land, purifying the
air and giving fresh strength to our people."
Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
John Stuart Mill

“Have you ever wondered why Republicans are so interested in encouraging people to volunteer in their communities? It’s because volunteers work for no pay. Republicans have been trying to get people to work for no pay for a long time.”
George Carlin

“Republicans are men of narrow vision, who are afraid of the future.”
Jimmy Carter

“A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned to walk forward.”
Franklin D. Roosevelt

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 16-10-2022

“A conservative is a man who just sits and thinks, mostly sits.”
Woodrow Wilson

“I like that about the Republicans; the evidence does not faze them, they are not bothered at all by the facts.”
Bill Clinton

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.”
John Kenneth Galbraith

“When a nation’s young men are conservative, its funeral bell is already rung.”
Henry Ward Beecher

“A conservative is one who admires radicals centuries after they’re dead.”
Leo Rosten

“Herbert Hoover once ran on the slogan, “Two cars in every garage”. Apparently, the Republican candidate this year is running on the slogan, “Two families in every garage”.”
Harry Truman

“Democrats work to help people who need help. That other party, they work for people who don’t need help. That’s all there is to it.”
Harry S. Truman

“The Republicans believe in the minimum wage — the more the minimum, the better.”
Harry Truman

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 17-10-2022

“They (Republicans) blame the low income women for ruining the country because they are staying home with their children and not going out to work. They (Republicans) blame the middle income women for ruining the country because they go out to work and do not stay home to take care of their children.”
Ann Richards

"Greed is the religion of the billionaire class. The Walton family (owners of Walmart) is the wealthiest family in America & pays their employees starvation wages. The Koch brothers are the second wealthiest family, & make huge campaign contributions in order to cut Social security, Medicare & Medicaid. A nation based on greed will not survive morally, economically or politically."
Senator Bernie Sanders

"There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place."

“You can always count on Americans to do the right thing – after they’ve tried everything else.”

“I am ready to meet my maker. Whether my maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.”

Winston Churchill.

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 18-10-2022

“We had to struggle with the old enemies of peace – business & financial monopoly, speculation, reckless banking, class antagonism, sectionalism, war profiteering.
They had begun to consider the government of the USA as a mere appendage to their own affairs.
We know now that government by organised money is just as dangerous as government by organised mob.”
Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.'

"With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts."

"Justice cannot be for one side alone, but must be for both."

"The battle for the individual rights of women is one of long standing and none of us should countenance anything which undermines it."

"Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give."

Eleanor Roosevelt

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 19-10-2022

"When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?"

"Old age has deformities enough of its own. It should never add to them the deformity of vice."

"Anyone who thinks must think of the next war as they would of suicide."

"Anyone who knows history, particularly the history of Europe, will, I think, recognize that the domination of education or of government by any one particular religious faith is never a happy arrangement for the people."

"Hate and force cannot be in just a part of the world without having an effect on the rest of it."
Eleanor Roosevelt

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 20-10-2022

"I can not believe that war is the best solution. No one won the last war, and no one will win the next war."

"Too often the great decisions are originated and given form in bodies made up wholly of men, or so completely dominated by them that whatever of special value women have to offer is shunted aside without expression."

"When life is too easy for us, we must beware or we may not be ready to meet the blows which sooner or later come to everyone, rich or poor."

Eleanor Roosevelt

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
Theodore Roosevelt

“Socialism is a scare word they have hurled at every advance the people have made in the last 20 years.

Socialism is what they called public power. Socialism is what they called social security.

Socialism is what they called farm price supports.

Socialism is what they called bank deposit insurance.

Socialism is what they called the growth of free and independent labor organizations.

Socialism is their name for almost anything that helps all the people.”

Harry S Truman

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 21-10-2022

The poem below is called "The Chaos" and was written by G. Nolst Trenite, a.k.a. Charivarius (1870-1946).

Dearest creature in creation,
Study English pronunciation.
I will teach you in my verse
Sounds like corpse, corps, horse, and worse.
I will keep you, Suzy, busy,
Make your head with heat grow dizzy.
Tear in eye, your dress will tear.
So shall I! Oh hear my prayer.
Just compare heart, beard, and heard,
Dies and diet, lord and word,

Sword and sward, retain and Britain.
(Mind the latter, how it's written.)
Now I surely will not plague you
With such words as plaque and ague.
But be careful how you speak:
Say break and steak, but bleak and streak;
Cloven, oven, how and low,
Script, receipt, show, poem, and toe.

Hear me say, devoid of trickery,
Daughter, laughter, and Terpsichore,
Typhoid, measles, topsails, aisles,
Exiles, similes, and reviles;
Scholar, vicar, and cigar,
Solar, mica, war and far;
One, anemone, Balmoral,
Kitchen, lichen, laundry, laurel;
Gertrude, German, wind and mind,
Scene, Melpomene, mankind.

Billet does not rhyme with ballet,
Bouquet, wallet, mallet, chalet.
Blood and flood are not like food,
Nor is mould like should and would.
Viscous, viscount, load and broad,
Toward, to forward, to reward.
And your pronunciation's OK
When you correctly say croquet,

Rounded, wounded, grieve and sieve,
Friend and fiend, alive and live.
Ivy, privy, famous; clamour
And enamour rhyme with hammer.
River, rival, tomb, bomb, comb,
Doll and roll and some and home.
Stranger does not rhyme with anger,
Neither does devour with clangour.
Souls but foul, haunt but aunt,
Font, front, wont, want, grand, and grant,
Shoes, goes, does. Now first say finger,

And then singer, ginger, linger,
Real, zeal, mauve, gauze, gouge and gauge,
Marriage, foliage, mirage, and age.
Query does not rhyme with very,
Nor does fury sound like bury.
Dost, lost, post and doth, cloth, loth.
Job, nob, bosom, transom, oath.
Though the differences seem little,
We say actual but victual.
Refer does not rhyme with deafer.
Foeffer does, and zephyr, heifer.
Mint, pint, senate and sedate;
Dull, bull, and George ate late.
Scenic, Arabic, Pacific,
Science, conscience, scientific.
Liberty, library, heave and heaven,
Rachel, ache, moustache, eleven.

We say hallowed, but allowed,
People, leopard, towed, but vowed.
Mark the differences, moreover,
Between mover, cover, clover;
Leeches, breeches, wise, precise,
Chalice, but police and lice;
Camel, constable, unstable,
Principle, disciple, label.
Petal, panel, and canal,
Wait, surprise, plait, promise, pal.

Worm and storm, chaise, chaos, chair,
Senator, spectator, mayor.
Tour, but our and succour, four.
Gas, alas, and Arkansas.
Sea, idea, Korea, area,
Psalm, Maria, but malaria.

Youth, south, southern, cleanse and clean.
Doctrine, turpentine, marine.
Compare alien with Italian,
Dandelion and battalion.
Sally with ally, yea, ye,
Eye, I, ay, aye, whey, and key.
Say aver, but ever, fever,
Neither, leisure, skein, deceiver.
Heron, granary, canary.
Crevice and device and aerie.

Face, but preface, not efface.
Phlegm, phlegmatic, ass, glass, bass.
Large, but target, gin, give, verging,
Ought, out, joust and scour, scourging.
Ear, but earn and wear and tear
Do not rhyme with here but ere.
Seven is right, but so is even,
Hyphen, roughen, nephew Stephen,
Monkey, donkey, Turk and jerk,

Ask, grasp, wasp, and cork and work.
Pronunciation -- think of Psyche!
Is a paling stout and spikey?
Won't it make you lose your wits,
Writing groats and saying grits?
It's a dark abyss or tunnel:
Strewn with stones, stowed, solace, gunwale,
Islington and Isle of Wight,

Housewife, verdict and indict.
Finally, which rhymes with enough --
Though, through, plough, or dough, or cough?
Hiccough has the sound of cup.
My advice is to give up!!!

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 22-10-2022

"When the penalty for abortion after rape is harsher than the penalty for rape, you know there is a war against women."
Rahel Dance

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat."
Rebecca West

"Women's virtue is men's greatest invention"
Cornelia Otis Skinner

“Being a mother is a noble status, right? Right. So why does it change when you put 'unwed' or 'welfare' in front of it? “
Florence Kennedy

This whole society is like slow dancing - the men get to lead & the women get stepped on.
Lily Tomlin

"I think the Republican party emblem should be changed from a donkey to a prophylactic. Its perfect. Its supports inflation, keeps production down, helps a bunch of pricks & gives a false sense of security when one is being screwed."
Robin Tyler

"It seems that in order to be the kind of woman who's strong enough to live with a man, you tend to become the kind of woman no man wants to live with."
Joan Kerr

"I have five sons & therefore have to go out a lot. "
Lotus Weinstock

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 23-10-2022

"A doctor pointed out that oestrogen (the female hormone) is at its lowest cycle during the
menstrual cycle. So at our 'worst' we are most like the way men are all the time."
Now newsletter,Chicago.

"To the editor
(in response to an anti choice article by Hugo Carl Koch in a Playboy magazine)
There is only one way in which to get through to Hugo Carl Koch, & I'm working on it. Just as soon as I've developed my powers of witchcraft, I will turn him into a middle-class mother of three pre schoolers.
And on his/her very worst day, when the washing machine has conked out, she's had a fight with her husband, she's received an overdraft notice from the bank, the three year old has flushed his firetruck down the toilet (which is now spilling over into the hall) after tossing her glasses into the garbage disposal, the two year old has smeared his faeces all over the living room wall & the baby has been crying & vomiting down her back all day - then, I will give her a missed period.
Shirley L Radl
Pulling our own strings, Gloria Kauffman & Mary-Kay Blakely."

"It is someties claimed that men are the natural protectors of women. Are they? Who is it that women fear on lonely roads at night, the members of their own sex or that sex that claim to be their natural protectors? Any observer of the world knows, that while men may be very good protectors for the women of their own families, they are often very poor protectors for the women of other men's families."

Lillie Devereux Blake 1883

"Witness the records of the courts with the wife beaters & slayers, the rapists, the seducers, the husbands who have deserted their families, the schemers who have defrauded widows & orphans - witness all these, & then say if men are the natural protectors of women."
Susan B Anthony 1902

“Its interesting to speculate how it developed that in two of the most anti feminist institutions, the church & the state, the men are wearing the dresses.”
Florynce Kennedy