Too Many Message Boards
Sayings & Quotes - Printable Version

+- Too Many Message Boards (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums)
+-- Forum: General Topics (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Sayings & Quotes (/showthread.php?tid=791)

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 31-01-2023

“They lose the day in expectation of the night, and the night in fear of the dawn.”

“Associate with people who are likely to improve you.”

“He suffers more than necessary, who suffers before it is necessary.”
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 01-02-2023

“Putting things off is the biggest waste of life: it snatches away each day as it comes, and denies us the present by promising the future. The greatest obstacle to living is expectancy, which hangs upon tomorrow, and loses today. You are arranging what lies in Fortune's control, and abandoning what lies in yours. What are you looking at? To what goal are you straining? The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately.”

“Only time can heal what reason cannot.”

“If you live in harmony with nature you will never be poor; if you live according what others think, you will never be rich.”
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 02-02-2023

“Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power.”

“Life is like a play: it's not the length, but the excellence of the acting

“Wealth is the slave of a wise man. The master of a fool ”
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 03-02-2023

"There are many evils and there is no worse evil than man."
Sophocles

"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance."
Socrates

"The measure of life is its beauty not its length."
Plutarch

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 04-02-2023

“The sun also shines on the wicked.”

“There is no genius without a touch of madness.”

“As long as you live, keep learning how to live.”
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 05-02-2023

“The sun also shines on the wicked.”

“Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.”

“We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality”

“Leisure without books is death, and burial of a man alive.”
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 06-02-2023

“The greater part of the population is not very intelligent, dreads responsibility, and desires nothing better than to be told what to do. Provided the rulers do not interfere with its material comforts and its cherished beliefs, it is perfectly happy to let itself be ruled. “

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

“Words can be like X-rays if you use them properly – they’ll go through anything. You read and you’re pierced.”
Aldous Huxley

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 07-02-2023

“After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”

“But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin. “

“You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you mad.”
Aldous Huxley

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 08-02-2023

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass."

"Perhaps man has a hundred senses, and when he dies only the five senses that we know perish with him, and the other ninety-five remain alive."

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it's this day-to-day living that wears you out."
Anton Chekhov

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 09-02-2023

"The role of the artist is to ask questions, not answer them."

"Perhaps the feelings that we experience when we are in love represent a normal state. Being in love shows a person who he should be."
Anton Chekhov

“Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.”
Pablo Picasso

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 10-02-2023

“Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible God & destroys a visible Nature. Unaware that this Nature he's destroying is this God he's worshipping.”
Hubert Reeves

“Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it.”
Maimonides

“Men can be divided into two groups: one that goes ahead & achieves something, & one that comes after & criticises.”
Seneca

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 11-02-2023

“Associate with people who are likely to improve you.”
Seneca

“It is better to be silent than to dispute with the ignorant.”
Pythagorus

"There are many evils and there is no worse evil than man."
Sophocles

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 12-02-2023

"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance."
Socrates

"The measure of life is its beauty not its length."
Plutarch

“Beware of over concern for money or position, or glory. Some day you will meet a man who cares for none of these things. Then you will know how poor you are.”
Rudyard Kipling

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 13-02-2023

“Nothing is more important than empathy for another's suffering. Not a career. Not wealth. Certainly not status. We have to feel for one another if we're going to survive with dignity.”
Audrey Hepburn

“Its better to walk alone than with a crowd going in the wrong direction.”
Malcolm X

“Be a free thinker & don't accept everything you hear as truth. Be critical & evaluate what you believe in.”
Aristotle

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 14-02-2023

“The man who asks a question is a fool for a minute, the man who does not ask is a fool for life.”
Confucius

“A bookshelf is as particular to its owner as are his or her clothes; a personality is stamped on a library just as a she is shaped by the foot.”
Alan Bennett

“The bible is a human product; it tells us how our religious ancestors saw things, not how god sees things.”
Marcue J Borg

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 15-02-2023

“Rather fail with honour than suceed by fraud.”
Sophocles

“There are no nations! There is only humanity. And if we don't come to understand that right soon, there will be no nations, because there will be no humanity.”
Isaac Asimov

“The saddest aspect of life now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.”
Isaac Asimov

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 16-02-2023

“ A library is not a luxury but one of the necessities of life.”
Henry Ward Beecher

“One of the greatest tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion. So now people assume that religion & morality have a necessary connection.
But the basis of morality is really very simple & doesn't require religion at all.”
Arthur C Clarke

“All war is based on deception.”
Sun Tzu

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 17-02-2023

"There is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good humour."

"I loved her against reason, against promise, against peace, against hope, against happiness, against all discouragement that could be."

"Never close your lips to those whom you have already opened your heart."

Charles Dickens

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 18-02-2023

"Never close your lips to those whom you have already opened your heart."

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but - I hope - into a better shape."

"Have a heart that never hardens, and a temper that never tires, and a touch that never hurts."
Charles Dickens

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 19-02-2023

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair."
Charles Dickens

“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.”
Thomas Paine

“Money can't buy happiness”
Means
“The mindless accumulation of excess wealth leads to diminishing returns on happiness”
It does not mean
“Poor people should learn to be content without the basic neccessities & financial security.”
Marianne N.