Too Many Message Boards
Sayings & Quotes - Printable Version

+- Too Many Message Boards (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums)
+-- Forum: General Topics (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Sayings & Quotes (/showthread.php?tid=791)

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 12-03-2023

"The true meaning of life is to plant trees under whose shade you do not expect to sit."
Nelson Henderson

"Trees are as close to immortality as the rest of us ever come."

Karen Joy Fowler

"In a forest of a hundred thousand trees, no two leaves are alike. And no two journeys along the same path are alike."

Paulo Coelho

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 13-03-2023

"Love is like a tree, it grows of its own accord, it puts down deep roots into our whole being."

Victor Hugo

"Until you dig a hole, you plant a tree, you water it and make it survive, you haven't done a thing. You are just talking."

Wangari Maathai

"I feel a great regard for trees; they represent age and beauty and the miracles of life and growth."

Louise Dickinson Rich

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 14-03-2023

"This oak tree and me, we're made of the same stuff."

Carl Sagan
"There are more life forms in a handful of forest soil than there are people on the planet."

Peter Wohlleben
“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
Chinese proverb

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 15-03-2023

“The planting of a tree is a modest form of immortality and one of the few truly long-term expressions of hope to mortal human beings.”
Voltaire
That each day I may walk unceasingly on the banks of my water, that my soul may repose on the branches of the trees which I planted, that I may refresh myself under the shadow of my sycamore.” Egyptian tomb inscription

“One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.”
William Shakespeare

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 16-03-2023

“Trees give peace to the souls of men.”
Nora Waln

“Trees are poems that the earth writes upon the sky.”
Kahlil Gibran

“If you find from your own experience that something is a fact, & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings,”
Leonardo Da Vinci

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 16-03-2023

”In our hands now lies not only our own future but that of all other living creatures with whom we share the earth.” - Sir David Attenborough

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 17-03-2023

“History is indeed, little more than the register of the 'crimes, follies & misfortunes' of mankind. But what experience & history teach is this – that peoples & governments have never learned anything from history or acted on principles deduced from it.”
Georg Hegel

“If you want the present to be different from the past, study the past”
Baruch Spinoza

“Those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.”
George Bernard Shaw

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 17-03-2023

"If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” – Ferris Bueller

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 18-03-2023

“At least two thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human malice & those great motivators & justifiers of malice & stupidity, idealism, dogmatism, & proselytising zeal on behalf of religious or political idols.
Aldous Huxley

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle.”
Thomas Jefferson

“Do not grow old no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the great mystery into which we were born.”
Albert Einstein

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 19-03-2023

From the beginning, a procession of the poor, the weak, the unfit have gone through our jails & prisons & to their deaths. They have been victims. Crime & poverty & ignorance have gone hand in hand. When our law makers realise this, they will stop legislating more punishment & go after causes.
Clarence Darrow.

Feminism isn’t simply about being a woman in a position of power. It’s battling systemic inequities; it’s a social justice movement that believes sexism, racism and classism exist and interconnect, and that they should be consistently challenged.
Jessica Valenti

The young women in my classes are feisty and clever and believe, often with the passion of youthful optimism, that feminism is a battle already won. I worry for them – and for my daughters, too.
Louise Brown

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 20-03-2023

“Civilised man is born & dies a slave.The infant is bound up in swaddling clothes, the corpse is nailed down in his coffin. All his life long man is imprisoned by our instutions.”
Jean-Jacques Rosseau

“If I accept the sunshine & warmth then I must also accept the thunder & lightning.”
Kahlil Gibran

“We'll go down in history as the first society in history which wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.”
Kurt Vonnegut

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 21-03-2023

“Grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change.
The courage to change direction when I see them coming.
And the wisdom to not to try to smack some senmse into them when I can't avoid them.”
Anon

“A teacher can never truly teach unless he is still learning himself. A lamp can never light another lamp unless it continues to burn its own flame. The teacher who has come to the end of his subject, who has no living traffic with his knowledge but merely repeats his lesson to his students, can only load their minds, he cannot quicken them.”
Rabindranath Tagore

“The fact is that no species has ever had such wholesale control over everything on earth, living or dead, as we now have. That lays upon us, whether we like it or not, awesome responsibility. In our hands now lies not only our own future but that of all other living creatures with whom we share the earth.”
David Attenborough

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 22-03-2023

In contrast to a pessimism of weakness, Nietzsche adhered to a pessimism of strength. A pessimism of strength, like a pessimism of weakness, acknowledges that life is burdensome, tragic, and realizes that struggle and suffering are intrinsic to the human condition and thus cannot be eradicated.

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 22-03-2023

"A writer is a world trapped in a person.”
Victor Hugo

“A woman is shut up in a kitchen or boudoir, & no one is surprised her horizon is limited; her wings are cut & then she is blamed for not knowing how to fly.”
Simone de Beauvoir

“The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention.”
Kahlil Gibran

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 23-03-2023

Pale Blue Dot

"From this distant vantage point, the Earth might not seem of any particular interest. But for us, it's different. Consider again that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam."

— Carl Sagan

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 23-03-2023

“Creativity is intelligence having fun.”
Albert Einstein

“Blessed are the gypsies, the makers of music, the artists, writers,dreamers of dreams, wanderers & vagabonds, children & misfits; for they teach us to see the world through beautiful eyes.”
Anon

“A generation which ignores history has no past - & no future.”
Robert Heinlein

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 24-03-2023

“When we come into contact with the other person, our thoughts & actions should express our mind of compassion, even if that person says & does things that are not easy to accept. We practice in this way until we see clearly that our love is not contingent upon the other person being lovable.”
Thich Nhat Hanh

“If you make people uniform, you can control them. If you teach people to read & think, & question things, you lose control. So the best idea is to separate people if you wish to maintain a monetary system. By dividing people, they're not a threat, you can control them.”
Jacque Fresco

"The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate. "
Noam Chomsky

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 24-03-2023

Within a mere 100 years, Rome underwent massive governmental changes. What in 133 B.C.E. was a free republic that relied on a voting populace and an assembly system morphed into an embittered autocracy by the first century C.E. [source: Beard].

Thus, Juvenal's term, "bread and circuses" went viral, used by scores of people -- then and now -- to describe people who voluntarily trade their democratic freedoms in exchange for stable-yet-controlling government.

Back then, the Roman government kept the Roman people pacified by offering them free food and rousing entertainment in the Roman Colosseum. Now, "bread and circuses" applies to any civic or governmental entity -- or any situation, really -- in which the masses willingly accept short-term solutions to ease their discontent.

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 25-03-2023

"Colour provokes a psychic vibration. Color hides a power still unknown but real, which acts on every part of the human body."
Vassily Kandinsky

“Memories need a lot of time to disappear. But they need nothing to reappear. A voice, a sound, an image, a scent, a smell. "
Giorgio Faletti

“If you are alone you belong entirely to yourself.”
Leonardo da Vinci

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 26-03-2023

“It is better to travel well than to arrive.”
Buddha
“Be careful how much you read – you might learn something.”
Jamie E Davis
“May your troubles be less. And your blessings be more. And nothing but happiness come through your door.”
Irish blessing