Too Many Message Boards
Sayings & Quotes - Printable Version

+- Too Many Message Boards (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums)
+-- Forum: General Topics (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Sayings & Quotes (/showthread.php?tid=791)

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 27-03-2023

“Compassion and concern for others is the key to human survival. People with no interest in religion sometimes disregard qualities like patience and compassion, which they associate with religious practice. In fact, these qualities are relevant to anyone who wishes to live a happy life. “
Dalai Lama

“My advice to other disabled people would be, concentrate on things your disabiity doesn't prevent you doing well, & don't regret the things it interferes with. Don't be disabled in spirit, as well as physically.
Stephen Hawking

“The really great thing about cats is their endless variety. One can pick out a cat to suit any décor, income, personality, mood. But under the fur there lies, essentially unchanged, one of the world's free souls.”
Eric Gurney

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 28-03-2023

“The quick pain of truth can pass away , but the slow eating agony of a lie is never lost.”
John Steinbeck

“In the very end, civilisations perish because they listen to their politicians & not to their poets.”
Jonas Mekas

“Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.”
Brad Meltzer

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 29-03-2023

“In the first place god made idiots. This was for practise. Then he made school boards.”
Mark Twain

“Each color lives by its mysterious life.”

“Colour is the keyboard, the eyes are the harmonies, the soul is the piano with many strings. The artist is the hand that plays, touching one key or another, to cause vibrations in the soul.”
Wassily Kandinsky

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 30-03-2023

“The more frightening the world becomes ... the more art becomes abstract.”

“Painting is a thundering collision of different worlds, intended to create a new world in and from the struggle with one another, a new world which is the work of art.”

“Everything starts from a dot.”

Wassily Kandinsky

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 31-03-2023

“The deeper the blue becomes, the more strongly it calls man towards the infinite, awakening in him a desire for the pure and, finally, for the supernatural... The brighter it becomes, the more it loses its sound, until it turns into silent stillness and becomes white. “

“Lend your ears to music, open your eyes to painting, and... stop thinking! Just ask yourself whether the work has enabled you to 'walk about' into a hitherto unknown world. If the answer is yes, what more do you want? “
Wassily Kandinsky

‘Our strategy should be not only to confront Empire, but to lay siege to it.
To deprive it of oxygen. To shame it. To mock it. With our art, our music, our literature, our stubbornness, our joy, our brilliance, our sheer relentlessness - & our ability to tell our own stories.
Stories that are different from the ones we’re being brainwashed to believe.
The corporate revolution will collapse if we refuse to buy what they are selling – their ideas, their version of history, their wars, their weapons, their notion of inevitability.
Remember this: we be many & they be few. They need us more than we need them.
Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day,I can hear her breathing.’
Arundhati Roy

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 01-04-2023

“If money and material things make you beleive you are better than others, then you are the poorest person on earth”
Anon

“The man who dies thus rich dies disgraced.”
Andrew Carnegie

There is something deeply hypocritical about praying for a problem you are unwilling to resolve.”
Miroslav Volf

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 02-04-2023

“The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were for whites or women created for men.”
Alice Walker

“I wept for the earth because I realised its dying. Its them, those youngsters who are going to reap what we've sown in terms of the destruction of the earth.”
William Shatner

“Books are a form of magic that can transport you to anywhere, at any time.”
Cassandra Clare

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 03-04-2023

“A director said something so cruel to me once in rehearsal that I almost felt my blood freezing, but my brain told me to not let him see any reaction or effect from me. I was impassive and just waited for rehearsal to continue. I do this now with anyone rude or mean. What they want is your reaction. A reaction is their reward for their cruelty. They won’t get a reaction or a reward from me. I don’t get bothered much.”
Frances Sternhagen

“I was always going to the bookcase for another sip of the divine specific.”
Virginia Woolf

“No matter what happens in life, be good to people. Being good to people is a wonderful legacy to leave behind.”
Taylor Swift

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 04-04-2023

“Do not take revenge. The rotten fruits will fall by thermselves.”
Anon
“I will not give up the flowers in my heart for stones just because the world is a hard place. The world is only hard because it needs more flower hearted people.”
Nikita Gill

“A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labours of a spasmodic Hercules.”
Anthony Trollope

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 05-04-2023

“That I can read and be happy while I am reading, is a great blessing.”

“Nobody holds a good opinion of a man who holds a low opinion of himself.”

“And, above all things, never think that you're not good enough yourself. A man should never think that. My belief is that in life people will take you very much at your own reckoning.”

Anthony Trollope

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 06-04-2023

“The habit of reading is the only enjoyment in which there is no alloy; it lasts when all other pleasures fade.”

“This habit of reading, I make bold to tell you, is your pass to the greatest, the purest, and the most perfect pleasure that God has prepared for His creatures. It lasts when all other pleasures fade. It will support you when all other recreations are gone. It will last until your death. It will make your hours pleasant to you as long as you live.”

“Of all needs a book has,
the chief need is to be readable.”
Anthony Trollope

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 07-04-2023

"Words spoken cannot be recalled, and many a man and many a woman who has spoken a word at once regretted, are far too proud to express that regret.”

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book & a cup of coffee.”

Anthony Trollope

“One good thing about music, when it hits you...you feel no pain.”
Bob Marley

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 08-04-2023

"Politics have no relation to morals.”
Niccolo Machiavellei

“One who deceives will always find those who allow themselves to be deceived.”

Niccolo Machiavellei
“A jury consists of twelve persons chosen to determine who has the better lawyer.”
Robert Frost

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 09-04-2023

"No one is free who has not obtained the empire of himself.”
Pythagorus.

“A man is great not because he hasn't failed; a man is great because failure hasn't stopped him.”
Confucius

“No matter how musically talented, educated or successful you are, how you treat people tells all. Integrity is everything.”
Anon

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 10-04-2023

“I'm convinced of this: good done anywhere is good done everywhere.

"For a change, start by speaking to people rather than walking by them like they're stones that don't matter. As long as you're breathing, its never too late to do some good.”
Maya Angelou

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Soren Kierkegaard

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 11-04-2023

“It is better to try something & fail than to try nothing & succeed.The result may be the same but you won't be. We always grow more through defeats than victories.”

“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”

“The most common form of despair is not being who you are.”

Soren Kierkegaard

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 12-04-2023

“People settle for a level of despair they can tolerate & call it happiness.”

"Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. “

“The minority is always stronger than the majority, because the minority is generally formed by those who really have an opinion. “

Soren Kierkegaard

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 13-04-2023

“Hope is passion for what is possible. “

“Do it or don't do it - you will regret both. “

“The unhappy person is never present to themselves because they always live in the past or the future.

Soren Kierkegaard

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 14-04-2023

“The self-assured believer is a greater sinner in the eyes of God than the troubled disbeliever”

“Geniuses are like thunderstorms: they go against the wind, terrify people, clear the air. “

“The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. “

Soren Kierkegaard

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 15-04-2023

“I'm so misunderstood that people misunderstand me even when I tell them I'm misunderstood. “

“It is the duty of the human understanding to understand that there are things which it cannot understand. “

Soren Kierkegaard

“An empire founded by war has to maintain itself by war.”
Montesquieu