Too Many Message Boards
Sayings & Quotes - Printable Version

+- Too Many Message Boards (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums)
+-- Forum: General Topics (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Sayings & Quotes (/showthread.php?tid=791)

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 16-04-2023

I try to give my music the spiritual quality very deep in the soul, which does something even if you are not realising it or analysing it – that's the duty of music.”
Ravi Shankar

“Do what you feel in your heart to be right, for you'll be criticised anyway.”
Eleanor Roosevelt

“Music expresses that which cannot be put into words & that which cannot remain silent.”
Victor Hugo

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 17-04-2023

“Music imprints itself in the brain deeper than any other human experience. Music brings back he feeling of life when nothing else can.”
Dr Oliver Sacks

“Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom & philosophy.”
Ludwig Van Beethoven

“All knowledge is valuable to a librarian.”
Beverly Cleary

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 18-04-2023

“In the end we all become stories.”
Margaret Atwood

“I'm not what I have done, I'm what I've overcome.”
Anon

“Where words fail, music speaks.”
Hans Christian Andersen

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 19-04-2023

“Music is the language of the spirit. It opens the secret of life bringing peace, abolishing strife.”
Kahlil Gibran

“Music, once admitted to the soul, becomes a sort of spirit & never dies.”
Edward Bulwer Lytton

“Music touches us emotionally, where words can't.”
Johnny Depp

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 20-04-2023

"Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without.”
Confucius

“Music is the universal language of mankind.”
Henry Wordsworth Longfellow

“Music can change the world.”
Ludwig Van Beethoven

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 21-04-2023

“There are not more than five musical notes, yet the combination of these five give rise to more melodies than can ever be heard.”
Sun Tzu

“The true beauty of music is that it connects people. It carries a message & we, the musicians are the messengers.”
Roy Ayers

“I have lived a thousand lives & I have loved a thousand loves. I've walked on distant worlds & seen the end of time. Because I read.”
George R R Martin

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 22-04-2023

“Music is love in search of a word.”
The artsy gilr studio

“I'm a book reader; that means I live in a crazy fantasy world with unrealistic expectations. Thank you for understanding.”
Anon

“Did you know that music has the ability to repair birth damage & return lost memories.”
Anon

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 23-04-2023

“If a book told you something when your were fifteen, it will tell you again when you're fifty, though you may understand it so differently that you're reading a whole new book.”
Ursuala K Le Guin

“You can also committ injustice by doing nothing.”
Marcus Aurelius

“One glance at a book & you hear the voice of another person, perhaps dead for1,000 years. To read is to voyage through time.”
Carl Sagan

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 24-04-2023

“One glance at a book & you hear the voice of another person, perhaps dead for1,000 years. To read is to voyage through time.”

"Advances in medicine and agriculture have saved vastly more lives than have been lost in all the wars in history."

"The significance of a finding that there are other beings who share this universe with us would be absolutely phenomenal. It would be an epochal event in human history."

"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact."
Carl Sagan

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 25-04-2023

"It is the responsibility of scientists never to suppress knowledge, no matter how awkward that knowledge is, no matter how it may bother those in power; we are not smart enough to decide which pieces of knowledge are permissible and which are not."

"It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science."

"Our passion for learning ... is our tool for survival."
Carl Sagan

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 25-04-2023

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

Isaac Asimov

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 26-04-2023

"The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas."

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses.

"If the dinosaurs had had a space program, they would not be extinct."

Carl Sagan

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 27-04-2023

I looked down and I could see the hole that our spaceship had punched in the thin, blue-tinged layer of oxygen around Earth. It was as if there was a wake trailing behind where we had just been, and just as soon as I’d noticed it, it disappeared.

I continued my self-guided tour and turned my head to face the other direction, to stare into space. I love the mystery of the universe. I love all the questions that have come to us over thousands of years of exploration and hypotheses. Stars exploding years ago, their light traveling to us years later; black holes absorbing energy; satellites showing us entire galaxies in areas thought to be devoid of matter entirely… all of that has thrilled me for years… but when I looked in the opposite direction, into space, there was no mystery, no majestic awe to behold . . . all I saw was death.

I saw a cold, dark, black emptiness. It was unlike any blackness you can see or feel on Earth. It was deep, enveloping, all-encompassing. I turned back toward the light of home. I could see the curvature of Earth, the beige of the desert, the white of the clouds and the blue of the sky. It was life. Nurturing, sustaining, life. Mother Earth. Gaia. And I was leaving her.

Everything I had thought was wrong. Everything I had expected to see was wrong.

I had thought that going into space would be the ultimate catharsis of that connection I had been looking for between all living things—that being up there would be the next beautiful step to understanding the harmony of the universe. In the film “Contact,” when Jodie Foster’s character goes to space and looks out into the heavens, she lets out an astonished whisper, “They should’ve sent a poet.” I had a different experience, because I discovered that the beauty isn’t out there, it’s down here, with all of us. Leaving that behind made my connection to our tiny planet even more profound.

It was among the strongest feelings of grief I have ever encountered. The contrast between the vicious coldness of space and the warm nurturing of Earth below filled me with overwhelming sadness. Every day, we are confronted with the knowledge of further destruction of Earth at our hands: the extinction of animal species, of flora and fauna . . . things that took five billion years to evolve, and suddenly we will never see them again because of the interference of mankind. It filled me with dread. My trip to space was supposed to be a celebration; instead, it felt like a funeral.

William Shatner after his space flight courtesy of Jeff Bezos.

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/23/1130482740/william-shatner-jeff-bezos-space-travel-overview-effect

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 27-04-2023

The job is by no means done. We will look for the boundary between the solar system and the interstellar medium, and then we'll voyage on forever in the dark between the stars."

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.”

“Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.”
Carl Sagan

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 28-04-2023

“Who is more humble? The scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us, or somebody who says everything in this book must be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of all the human beings involved?”

“For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.”

“The cosmos is within us. We are made of star-stuff. We are a way for the universe to know itself.”
Carl Sagan

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 29-04-2023

“Love recognises no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penertrates walls to arrive at its destination full og hope.”
Maya Angelou

“I don't believe in God, but I'm very interested in her.”

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

“In the struggle for freedom of information, technology, not politics, will be the ultimate decider.”
Arthur C Clarke.

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 30-04-2023

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”

“As our own species is in the process of proving, one cannot have superior science and inferior morals. The
combination is unstable and self-destroying.”

“Human judges can show mercy. But against the laws of nature, there is no appeal.”
Arthur C Clarke.

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 01-05-2023

“I don’t pretend we have all the answers. But the questions are certainly worth thinking about.”

“It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.”

“It is not easy to see how the more extreme forms of nationalism can long survive when men have seen the Earth in its true perspective as a single small globe against the stars.”

Arthur C Clarke.

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 02-05-2023

“It may be that our role on this planet is not to worship God but to create him.”

“Our lifetime may be the last that will be lived out in a technological society.”

“Politicians should read science fiction, not westerns and detective stories.”

“I don’t believe in astrology; I’m a Sagittarius and we’re sceptical.”

Arthur C Clarke.

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 03-05-2023

“The greatest tragedy in mankind’s entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion.”

“The limits of the possible can only be defined by going beyond them into the impossible.”

“There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum.”

Arthur C Clarke.