Too Many Message Boards
Sayings & Quotes - Printable Version

+- Too Many Message Boards (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums)
+-- Forum: General Topics (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Sayings & Quotes (/showthread.php?tid=791)

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 04-05-2023

“This is the first age that’s ever paid much attention to the future, which is a little ironic since we may not have one.”

“When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right.

When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.”
Arthur C Clarke.

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 05-05-2023

“The best proof that there’s intelligent life in outer space is the fact that it hasn’t come here.”

“We stand now at the turning point between two eras. Behind us is a past to which we can never return … The
coming of the rocket brought to an end a million years of isolation … the childhood of our race was over and history as we know it began.”

“The fact that we have not yet found the slightest evidence for life — much less intelligence — beyond this Earth does not surprise or disappoint me in the least. Our technology must still be laughably primitive; we may well be
like jungle savages listening for the throbbing of tom-toms, while the ether around them carries more words per second than they could utter in a lifetime.”

Arthur C Clarke.

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 06-05-2023

“The Information Age offers much to mankind, and I would like to think that we will rise to the challenges it presents. But it is vital to remember that information — in the sense of raw data — is not knowledge; that knowledge is not wisdom; and that wisdom is not foresight. But information is the first essential step to all of these.”

I can never look now at the Milky Way without wondering from which of those banked clouds of stars the emissaries are coming. If you will pardon so commonplace a simile, we have broken the glass of the fire-alarm and have nothing to do but to wait. I do not think we will have to wait for long. “

“2001 was written in an age which now lies beyond one of the great divides in human history; we are sundered from it forever by the moment when Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin stepped out on to the Sea of Tranquility. Now history and fiction have become inexorably intertwined.”

“The danger of asteroid or comet impact is one of the best reasons for getting into space … I’m very fond of quoting my friend Larry Niven: “The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn’t have a space program.
And if we become extinct because we don’t have a space program, it’ll serve us right!”

“… we have a situation in which millions of vehicles, each a miracle of (often unnecessary) complication, are hurtling in all directions under the impulse of anything up to two hundred horsepower. Many of them are the size of small houses and contain a couple of tons of sophisticated alloys – yet often carry a single passenger.
They can travel at a hundred miles an hour, but are lucky if they average forty. In one lifetime they have consumed more irreplaceable fuel than has been used in the whole previous history of mankind. The roads to support them, inadequate though they are, cost as much as a small war; the analogy is a good one, for the casualties
are on the same scale.”

Arthur C Clarke

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 07-05-2023

For his 90th birthday in December 2007, Arthur C. Clarke recorded a greeting to his friends around the world.
As part of the message, Clarke expressed three wishes:
“Firstly, I would like to see some evidence of extra-terrestrial life. I have always believed that we are not alone in the universe. But we are still waiting for ET to call us — or give us some kind of a sign.
We have no way of guessing when this might happen — I hope sooner rather than later!
Secondly, I would like to see us kick our current addiction to oil, and adopt clean energy sources. …
Climate change has now added a new sense of urgency. Our civilisation depends on energy, but we can’t allow oil and coal to slowly bake our planet…
The third wish is one closer to home. I’ve been living in Sri Lanka for 50 years — and half that time, I’ve been a sad witness to the bitter conflict that divides my adopted country. I dearly wish to see lasting peace established in Sri Lanka as soon as possible.”

Arthur C Clarke.

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 08-05-2023

“No object is mysterious. The mystery is your eye.”
Elizabeth Brown

“People call things 'vulgar' when they are new to threm. When they've become old, they become 'good taste.'
Mary Quant

“A poet can survive everything but a misprint.”
Oscar Wilde

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 09-05-2023

“I'm a dangerous person because I mind about things.”
King Charles 3rd

“Success is a great deodorant.”
Elizabeth Taylor

“Never look backwards or you'll fall down the stairs.”
Rudyard Kipling

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 10-05-2023

“There's nothing more dangerous than a resourceful idiot.”
Scott Adams

“If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way.”
Napoleon Hill

“Funny how my kid knows the answer to everything unless its something I specifically asked.”
On Twitter

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 11-05-2023

“The creative adult is the child who has survived.”
Ursula Le Guin

“NZ is a country of 30 thusand million sheep, 3 million of whom think they are human.”
Barry Humphries

“If you can't make it good, at least make it look good.”
Bill Gates

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 12-05-2023

“I was an activist long before I became an artist.”
Harry Belafonte

“Nothing is more despicable then respect based on fear.”
Albert Camus

“I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.”
J D Salinger

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 13-05-2023

“A mediocre idea that generates enthusiasm will go further than a great idea that inspires no one.”
Mary Kate Ash

“Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.”
Lao Tzu

“Can anything be sadder than work left unfinished? Yes, work never begun.”
Christina Rosetti

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 14-05-2023

“Happiness is good health & a bad memory.”
Ingrid Bergman

“One of the disadvantages of wine is that it makes a man mistake words for thoughts.”
Samuel Johnson

“Research is formalised curiosity. It is poking & prying with a purpose.”
Zora Neale Hurston

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 15-05-2023

“One of the most cowardly thngs ordinary people do is to shut their eyes to facts.”
C S Lewis

“ Everyone ought to spend part of their life making someone else's life better.”
Jerry Springer

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 16-05-2023

“Don't sweat the petty things & don't pet the sweaty things.”
George Carlin

“I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going & hook up with them later.”
Mitch Hedberg

“To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting.”
Edmund Burke

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 17-05-2023

"I cannot teach anyone anything. I can only make them think."

"Wonder is the beginning of wisdom."

"Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel."

Socrates

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 17-05-2023

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional"

anon

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 18-05-2023

“Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority sharer in it.”
Leo Tolstoy

“I do not believe in late stage capitalism or that prioritising the extreme pursuit of profit at any & all human/environmental cost will save us. I believe in cooperative economics & cooperative democracy, aka democratic socilaism.”
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

“The soul has illusions like the bird has wings: that’s what sustains it. ”
Victor Hugo

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 18-05-2023

"Over the powerful nudity of truth, the diaphanous cloak of fantasy"

Eça de Queiroz.

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 19-05-2023

“I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time -- when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness..."

--Carl Sagan, from his 1995 book "The Demon Haunted World"

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 19-05-2023

“The power of a glance has been so much abused in love stories; that it has come to be disbelieved in. Few people dare to say now that two beings have fallen in love because they lookes at each other. Yet it is in this way that love begins & this way only .”

“Not being heard is no reason for silence.”

“Laughter is sunshine, it chases winter from the human face.”
Victor Hugo

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 20-05-2023

“He who does not weep does not see.”

“There are plenty who regard a wall behind which something is happening as a very curious thing.”

“Love is like a tree: it grows by itself, roots itself deeply in our being and continues to flourish over a heart in ruin. The inexplicable fact is that the blinder it is, the more tenacious it is. It is never stronger than when it is completely unreasonable. “

Victor Hugo