Too Many Message Boards
Sayings & Quotes - Printable Version

+- Too Many Message Boards (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums)
+-- Forum: General Topics (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Sayings & Quotes (/showthread.php?tid=791)

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 21-05-2023

“There are plenty who regard a wall behind which something is happening as a very curious thing.”

“Love is like a tree: it grows by itself, roots itself deeply in our being and continues to flourish over a heart in ruin. The inexplicable fact is that the blinder it is, the more tenacious it is. It is never stronger than when it is completely unreasonable. “

“Nothing makes a man so adventurous as an empty pocket. “

Victor Hugo

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 22-05-2023

“His judgement demonstrates that one can be a genius and understand nothing of an art that is not one’s own. “
Victor Hugo

“It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson

“I never worry about diets. The only carrots that interest me are the number you get in a diamond.”
Mae West

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 23-05-2023

“Because a body of men, holding themselves accountable to nobody, ought not to be trusted by anybody.”

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead”

“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.”

Thomas Paine

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 24-05-2023

“The greatest tyrannies are always perp[etuated in the name of the noblest cause.”

“It is the duty of every man, as far as his ability extends, to detect & expose, delusion & error.”

“No country can be called free which is governed by an absolute power; & it matters not whether it be an absolute royal power or an absolute legislative power, as the consequences will be the same to the people.”
Thomas Paine

RE: Sayings & Quotes - harm_less - 24-05-2023

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.

Beware of looking for goals: look for a way of life. Decide how you want to live and then see what you can do to make a living WITHIN that way of life.

There’s a terrible danger in voting for the lesser of two evils because the parties can set it up that way.

America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.

On some nights, I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio.

Human beings are the only creatures on earth that claim a God and the only thing that behaves like it hasn’t got one.

If you get people asking the wrong questions, you don’t have to worry about the answers.

There is no such thing as paranoia. Your worst fears can come true at any moment.

I would feel real trapped in this life if I didn’t know I could commit suicide at any time.

- Quotes all Hunter S. Thompson

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 25-05-2023

When all other rights are taken away, the right of rebellion is made perfect.”

“Reason obeys itself; & ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.”

“Our greatest enemies, the ones we must fight most often, are within.”
Thomas Paine

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 26-05-2023

“I prefer peace. But if trouble must come.,let it come in my time so that my children can live in peace.”

“Men who look upon themselves as born to reign, & others to obey, soon grow insolent; selected rom the rest of mankind their minds are early poisoned by importance; & the world they act in differs so materially from the wolrd at large, that they have but little opportunity of knowing its true interests, & when they succeed to govt are frequently the most ignorant & unfir of any throughout the dominion.”

“Christianity is the strangest religion ever set up, for it committed a murder upon jesus in order to redeem mankind from the sin of eating an apple.”

Thomas Paine

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 27-05-2023

“Govt is best which governs least.”

“The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren & to do good is my religion.”

“Govt, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
Thomas Paine

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 28-05-2023

“Any woman who chooses to behave like a full human being should be warned that the armies of the status quo will treat her as something of a dirty joke. That’s their natural and first weapon. She will need her sisterhood.”

“We are the women our parents warned us against, and we are proud.”

“The first problem for all of us, men and women, is not to learn, but to unlearn.”

Gloria Steinem

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 29-05-2023

“When unique voices are united in a common cause, they make history.”

“We’ll never solve the feminisation of power until we solve the masculinity of wealth.”

“Empathy is the most radical of human emotions.”

Gloria Steinem

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 29-05-2023

Too bad our society is structured around short term corporate profits, and not, the sustainability of our species.

Random redditor.

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 30-05-2023

“Women have two choices: Either she’s a feminist or a masochist.”

“Now we know that, say, women can do what men can do—most folks would agree with that. But we don’t know that men could do what women can do.”
Gloria Steinem

“Think not of the books you've bought as the 'to be read' pile. Instead, think of your bookcase asa wine cellar. You collect books to 'be read at the ' right time & place,' & the right mood.'
Luc Van Donkersgoed

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 31-05-2023

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
Nelson Mandela
“If life were predictable it would cease to be life, and be without flavour”
Eleanor Roosevelt

Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.
John Lennon

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 01-06-2023

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on.
Franklin D. Roosevelt

“Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.”
Margaret Mead

“Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.”
Robert Louis Stevenson

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 01-06-2023

"Every village used to have an idiot, now with social media every idiot has a village"

anon

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 02-06-2023

“Do the best you can until you know better. Then, when you know better, do better.” - Maya Angelou

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 02-06-2023

“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Eleanor Roosevelt

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.”
Benjamin Franklin

“The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched — they must be felt with the heart.”
Helen Keller

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 03-06-2023

"It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light.”
Aristotle

“Whoever is happy will make others happy too”.
Anne Frank

“Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. “
Ralph Waldo Emerson

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 04-06-2023

“You will face many defeats in life, but never let yourself be defeated. “
Maya Angelou

"If life were predictable it would cease to be life and be without flavor." -
Eleanor Roosevelt

“One day you will be old enough to start reading fairy taes again”
C S Lewis

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 05-06-2023

"Living a joyful life, I've found, is not about trying to avoid the unavoidable. Joy comes from summoning a strong life force to overcome problems, from the smallest irritation to the biggest disaster."
Tina Turner

“I want to be remembered as the queen of rock n' roll. As a woman who showed other women that it is OK to strive for success on their own terms.”
Tina Turner

“Humans invented the atom bomb, but no mouse in the world would construct a mousetrap.”
Albert Einstein