Too Many Message Boards
Sayings & Quotes - Printable Version

+- Too Many Message Boards (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums)
+-- Forum: General Topics (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Sayings & Quotes (/showthread.php?tid=791)

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 26-07-2023

"Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world.”

“The challenge remains. On the other side are formidable forces: money, political power, the major media. On our side are the people of the world and a power greater than money or weapons: the truth.”

“And in such a world of conflict, a world of victims and executioners, it is the job of thinking people, as Albert Camus suggested, not to be on the side of the executioners.”

Howard Zinn

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 26-07-2023

Neoliberalism - At one point that was called Horse and Sparrow Economics.

"If you feed the horse enough oats, some will pass through to the road for the sparrows."

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 27-07-2023

“Strike is always a form of direct action. With the strike, too, you are not asking government to make things easier for you by passing legislation, you are taking a direct action against the employer.”

“Historically, the most terrible things - war, genocide, and slavery - have resulted not from disobedience, but from obedience.”

“I have no regrets about my political activity, only that I sometimes got carried away with it and didn't find the right balance between obligations to my family and my need to be involved in social movements.”

Howard Zinn

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 28-07-2023

“War itself is the enemy of the human race.”

“Education can, and should be, dangerous.”

“I am convinced that imprisonment is a way of pretending to solve the problem of crime. It does nothing for the victims of crime, but perpetuates the idea of retribution, thus maintaining the endless cycle of violence in our culture. It is a cruel and useless substitute for the elimination of those conditions--poverty, unemployment, homelessness, desperation, racism, greed--which are at the root of most punished crime. The crimes of the rich and powerful go mostly unpunished.”

Howard Zinn

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 29-07-2023

“But human beings are not machines, and however powerful the pressure to conform, they sometimes are so moved by what they see as injustice that they dare to declare their independence. In that historical possibility lies hope.”

“The cry of the poor is is not always just, but if you don't listen to it, you will never know what justice is.”

“I had volunteered for the Air Force and was an enthusiastic bombardier. While dropping bombs on Europe, I generally didn't understand what I was doing.”
Howard Zinn

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 30-07-2023

“The illerate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read & write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn & relearn.”
Alvin Toffler

“It is in your hands to create a better world for all who live in it.”

“What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others.”
Nelson Mandela

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 31-07-2023

“Overcoming poverty is not a gesture of caharity. It is an act of justoce.”
Nelson Mandela

“I have studied many philosophers & many cats. The wisdom of cats is infitely superior.”
Hippolyte Taine

“You should be especially nice to a librarian today, or tomorrow. Sometime this week ,anyway. Probably the Librarians would like tea. Or chocolates. Or a reliable source of funding.'
Neil Gaiman

RE: Sayings & Quotes - R2x1 - 31-07-2023

Quote:“I had volunteered for the Air Force and was an enthusiastic bombardier. While dropping bombs on Europe, I generally didn't understand what I was doing.”
Howard Zinn

That's ok, a lot of the people under him had a pretty fair idea what was going down.

Sad

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 01-08-2023

“A closed mind is a dying mind.”

“Perhaps too much of everything is as bad as too little.”

“Funny isn't it, how your whole life goes by while you think you're only planning the way you're going to live.”

Edna Ferber

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 02-08-2023

“If men ever discovered how tough women actually are, they would be scared to death.”

“Its terrible to realise that you don't learn how to live until you're ready to die; & then its too late.”

“Opinion! If everyone had so little tact as to give their true opinion when it was asked this would be a miserable world.”
Edna Ferber

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 03-08-2023

“There is an interesting resemblance in the speech of dictators, no matter what country they hail from or what language they speak.”

“If American politics are too dirty for women to take part in, there's something wrong with American politics.”

“Books should be cherished, like children, books are for the next generation, like children, like history.”
Edna Ferber

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 04-08-2023

“Don't allow men who hate women to define femiinism as women who hate men.:
Emmy Colleti

“Prejudice is an emotional commitment to ignorance.”
Nathan Rutstein

“Once you hit a certain age life is just a delicate balance of trying to stay awake & trying to fall asleep. While slowly getting worse at both.”
Anon

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 05-08-2023

“You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into.”

“The good thing about science is that its true whether or not you believe in it.”

“When scientifically investigating the natural world, the only thing worse than a blind believer is a seeing denier.”

Neil De Grasse Tyson

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 06-08-2023

“We live on this speck called Earth - think about what you might do, today or tomorrow - and make the most of it.”

“I think of space not as the final frontier but as the next frontier. Not as something to be conquered but to be explored.”

“Not only do we live among the stars, the stars live within us.”

Neil De Grasse Tyson

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 07-08-2023

“The solar system should be viewed as our backyard, not as some sequence of destinations that we do one at a time.”

“So you’re made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?”

“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them in their cores and exploded these enriched ingredients across our galaxy, billions of years ago. For this reason, we are biologically connected to every other living thing in the world.
We are chemically connected to all molecules on Earth. And we are atomically connected to all atoms in the universe. We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”

Neil De Grasse Tyson

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 08-08-2023

“Read. Read anything.Read the things they say are good for you, & the things they claim are junk. You'll find what you need to find. Just read.”
Neil Gaiman

“Put your thoughts to sleep, do not let them cast a shadow over the moon of your heart. Let go of thinking.”
Rumi

“A developed country is not a country where the poor have cars. Its where the rich use public transportation.”
Gustavo Petro

“What will survive of us is love.”
Philip Larkin

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 09-08-2023

Think there's a typo on the Philip Larkin quote Lilith7. 2nd "us" should be "is" I think.

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 09-08-2023

(09-08-2023, 09:16 AM)zqwerty Wrote: Think there's a typo on the Philip Larkin quote Lilith7.  2nd "us" should be "is" I think.

Cheers, just fixed it.  Wink

I didn't do anything in order to cause trouble. It just so happened that what I do naturally causes trouble. I'm proud to be a trouble maker.”
Sinead O'Connor

“How little our careers express what lies in us, and yet how much time they take up. It's sad, really.”

“Many modern novels have a beginning, a muddle and an end.”

Philip Larkin

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 09-08-2023

A lie told once remains a lie but a lie told a thousand times becomes the truth.

Joseph Goebbels.

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 10-08-2023

“You can't put off being young until you retire.”

“There is bad in all good authors: what a pity the converse isn't true!”
Philip Larkin

“Even if the hopes you started out with are dashed, hope has to be maintained.”

Seamus Heaney