Too Many Message Boards
Sayings & Quotes - Printable Version

+- Too Many Message Boards (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums)
+-- Forum: General Topics (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Sayings & Quotes (/showthread.php?tid=791)

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 14-09-2023

(14-09-2023, 01:31 PM)R2x1 Wrote:
(14-09-2023, 11:35 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: “If you love someone, but rarely make yourself available to him or her, that is not true love.”

“Birth is okay & death is okay; if we know that they are only concepts in our minds. Reality transcends both birth & death.”

“My actions are my only true belongings.”

Thich Nhat Hanh

Birth is okay & death is okay; but between is the tricky bit . . .

Dear Commissioner Of Inland Revenue,

My actions are my only true belongings”, your services are not required.

Big Grin Big Grin

True, that.

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 15-09-2023

“For things to reveal themselves to us, we need to be ready to abandon our views about them.”

“We are here to awaken from our illusion of separateness.”

“In order to rally people governments need enemies...if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilise us.”

Thich Nhat Hanh

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 16-09-2023

“What you are looking for is already in you...you are already everything you are seeking.”

“Our own life has to be our message.”

“Drink your tea slowly & reverently, as if it is the axis on which the world revolves – slowly,slowly, evenly, without rushing tiowards the future.”

Thich Nhat Hanh

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 17-09-2023

“It is through working with the women that we will change the destiny of the children.”
Celia Lashlie

“English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys,knocks them over & goes through their pockets for loose grammar.”
The laughing Librarian.

“Don't force your children into your ways, for they were created for a time different from your own.”
Plato

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 18-09-2023

“Some people have a hard time recognising privilege, saying “I work hard. I don't get things handed to me.” I understand that.Here's how I respond: “privilege isn't bonus points for you & your team. Its the unfair penalties the other team gets that you don't.

Privilege isn't the prescence of perks & benefits. Its the absence of obstacles & barriers.That's a lot harder to notice.If you have hard time recognsing your privileges, focue on what you don;'t have to go through. Let that fuel your empathy & action.”
Marie Beecham

“The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.”
Marcus Aurelius

“The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood & they thought it was one of them.”
Turkish proverb

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 19-09-2023

“Fall in love with some activity, and do it! Nobody ever figures out what life is all about, and it doesn't matter. Explore the world. Nearly everything is really interesting if you go into it deeply enough. Work as hard and as much as you want to on the things you like to do the best. Don't think about what you want to be, but what you want to do. Keep up some kind of a minimum with other things so that society doesn't stop you from doing anything at all. “
Richard Feynman

“Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but the highest form of intelligence.”

“I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train.”

Oscar Wilde

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 20-09-2023

"Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming. This is a fault."

"Children begin by loving their parents; after a time they judge them; rarely, if ever, do they forgive them. "

“The soul is born old but grows young. That is the comedy of life.
And the body is born young & grows old. That is life's tragedy.”
Oscar Wilde

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 20-09-2023

“It has been estimated that to get the planet back on track over a seven year period would cost $750 trillion. That would include dealing with all the sanitation problems of the third world, all the basic food issues, atmospheric pollution.
While it seems a huge amount, it’s what the world collectively spends on defence each year.
We’ve got the money. We choose not to do it because it’s not in the best interests of the politicians we have. “
Peter Russell.

RE: Sayings & Quotes - R2x1 - 20-09-2023

Motto of the Civil (Hah!) Service (Yeah, Right):

“Drink your tea slowly & reverently, as if it is the axis on which the world revolves – slowly,slowly, evenly, without rushing towards the future.”

Thich Nhat Hanh

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 21-09-2023

"Lead me not into temptation I can find the way myself."

"Hardening of the attitudes is one of the most dangerous diseases on this earth."

"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world"

Oscar Wilde

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 22-09-2023

“Fall in love with some activity, and do it! Nobody ever figures out what life is all about, and it doesn't matter. Explore the world. Nearly everything is really interesting if you go into it deeply enough. Work as hard and as much as you want to on the things you like to do the best. Don't think about what you want to be, but what you want to do. Keep up some kind of a minimum with other things so that society doesn't stop you from doing anything at all. “
Richard Feynman

“I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance.”
Jon Stewart

“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”
Isaac Asimov

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 23-09-2023

“I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consits mostly of building enough bookshelves.”
Anna Quindlen

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

“Self education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is. The only function of a school is to make seklf education easier, failing that it does nothing.”

Isaac Asimov

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 24-09-2023

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

“To the rest of the Galaxy, if they are aware of us at all, Earth is but a pebble in the sky. To us it is home, and all the home we know.”

“There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death.”

Isaac Asimov

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 25-09-2023

“It is the nature of science that answers automatically pose new and more subtle questions.”

“Creationists make it sound as though a ‘theory’ is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night.”

“There is not a discovery in science, however revolutionary, however sparkling with insight, that does not arise out of what went before.”

Isaac Asimov

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 26-09-2023

“It is the nature of science that answers automatically pose new and more subtle questions.” 

“Increasingly, our leaders must deal with dangers that threaten the entire world, where an understanding of those dangers and the possible solutions depends on a good grasp of science.”

“The energy requirements of interstellar travel are so great that it is inconceivable to me that any creatures piloting their ships across the vast depths of space would do so only in order to play games with us over a period of decades.”

Isaac Asimov

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 27-09-2023

he“I believe in evidence. I believe in observation, measurement, and reasoning, confirmed by independent observers. I’ll believe anything, no matter how wild and ridiculous, if there is evidence for it. The wilder and more ridiculous something is, however, the firmer and more solid the evidence will have to be.” 

“How often people speak of art and science as though they were two entirely different things, with no interconnection. An artist is emotional, they think, and uses only his intuition; he sees all at once and has no need of reason. A scientist is cold, they think, and uses only his reason; he argues carefully step by step and needs no imagination. That is all wrong. The true artist is quite rational as well as imaginative and knows what he is doing; if he does not, his art suffers. The true scientist is quite imaginative as well as rational, and sometimes leaps to solutions where reason can follow only slowly; if he does not, his science suffers.”

“Man’s greatest asset is the unsettled mind.”

Isaac Asimov

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 28-09-2023

“The dullness of fact is the mother of fiction.”

“Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers.”

“The day you stop learning is the day you begin decaying.”

Isaac Asimov

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 29-09-2023

“People think of education as something that they can finish.”

Though knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.”

“It is all too easy to forget that there are emotional motivations in history, as well as economic ones.”

Isaac Asimov

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 30-09-2023

“The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.”

“I consider one of the most important duties of any scientist the teaching of science to students and to the general public.”

“Uncertainty that comes from knowledge (knowing what you don’t know) is different from uncertainty coming from ignorance.” 

Isaac Asimov

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 01-10-2023

“Surely there is no language more majestic than that of Shakespeare, Milton, and the King James Bible, and if I am to have one language that I know as only a native can know it, I consider myself unbelievably fortunate that it is English.”

“Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.”

“I write for the same reason I breathe—because if I didn't, I would die “

Isaac Asimov