Too Many Message Boards
Sayings & Quotes - Printable Version

+- Too Many Message Boards (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums)
+-- Forum: General Topics (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Sayings & Quotes (/showthread.php?tid=791)

RE: Sayings & Quotes - R2x1 - 04-11-2023

(03-11-2023, 06:11 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(03-11-2023, 05:22 PM)R2x1 Wrote: "There are men running governments who shouldn't be allowed to play with matches."
Will Rogers.

Oh, I'm nicking that one! Rolleyes Big Grin

Sorry, Ive got NOD 32 so all quotes are securely fastened to my stolen swag stock section.

Wink

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 05-11-2023

“A cat has absolute emotional honesty; human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings but a cat does not.”
Ernest Hemingway

“As you can see by comparing human & chimpanzee fingers, they are almost identical. We don't come from primates, we are primates. We are not a race, we are a species. We are animals created by nature,as much a part of the natural world as the flowers,rivers, fish,birds, clouds & trees.
We are not superior to nature, we are her children.
Neil deGrasse Tyson

“When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?”
Eleanor Roosevelt

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 06-11-2023

“When a clown moves into the palace he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.”
Turkish proverb

“Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep continuing needs, is good for him.”
Maya Angelou

“I'd be more willing to accept religion, even though I don't believe in it, if I thought it made people nicer to each other, but I don't think it does.”
Andy Rooney

RE: Sayings & Quotes - R2x1 - 06-11-2023

Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Groucho Marx.

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 07-11-2023

“I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday & lessen the suffering of others.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson

“We live in capitalism.Its power seems inescapable. So did the divine right of kings. Any human power can be resisted & changed by human beings.”
Ursula K Le Guin

"You should not be afraid of someone who has a library and reads many books; you should fear someone who has only one book; and he considers it sacred, but he has never read it."
Friedrich Nietzsche

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 07-11-2023

"Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad"

RE: Sayings & Quotes - R2x1 - 07-11-2023

Anybody know another word for Thesaurus?

Smile

RE: Sayings & Quotes - R2x1 - 07-11-2023

The battle of the sexes will never be won; far too much fraternising with the enemy.

Tongue

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 07-11-2023

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then, when I die, I want to go wherever they went." - Will Rogers

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 08-11-2023

"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life."
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

“To Live Is to Suffer, to Survive Is to Find Some Meaning in the Suffering.”
Friedrich Nietzsche

“If your personal beliefs deny what's objectively true about the world, then they're more objectively called personal delusions.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 09-11-2023

“If your belief system is not founded in an objective reality, you should not be making decisions that affect other people.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson

“Jesus was not killed by aetheism & anarchy. He was brought down by law & order allied with religion, which is always a deadly mix. Beware those who claim to know the mind of god & who are prepared to use force if necessary, to make others conform. Beware those who cannot tell god's will from their own.”
Barbara Brown Taylor

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.”
Neil Gaiman

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 09-11-2023

“Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.” - Albert Einstein

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 10-11-2023

“You either get better or you get bitter. It's that simple. You either take what's been dealt to you & allow it to make you a better person, or you allow it to tear you down. The choice does not belong to fate. It belongs to you.”
Josh Shipp

“Parenting is a crucible, filled with tears & anxiety & laughter. It will pierce your soul. And it will heal you.It is all those things & more.”
Josh Shipp

“Yes, you will rise from the ashes. But the burning comes first. For this part, darling, you must be brave.”
Kalen Dion

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 11-11-2023

Carl Sagan's "Pale Blue Dot":

"The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot

RE: Sayings & Quotes - R2x1 - 11-11-2023

It's a small world, but I wouldn't care to paint it.
Steven Wright

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 11-11-2023

“If people have to put labels on me, I'd prefer the first label to be human being, the second label to be pacifist, and the third to be folk singer.”

"You don't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when. You can only decide how you're going to live. Now."

“I think music has the power to transform people, and in doing so, it has the power to transform situations - some large and some small.”
Joan Baez

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 12-11-2023

“We are the product of 4.5 billion years of fortuitous, slow biological evolution. There is no reason to think that the evolutionary process hass stopped. Man is a transitional animal. He is not the climax of creation.
Carl Sagan

“A strong person does not seek revenge.They move on & let karma do all the dirty work.”
Anon

“However low a man sinks he never reaches the level of the police.”“
Quentin Crisp

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 12-11-2023

Quentin Crisp Quotes

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style. ...
There is no need to do any housework at all. ...
Health consists of having the same diseases as one's neighbors. ...
The British do not expect happiness. ...
Never keep up with the Joneses.

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 13-11-2023

I recall Quentin Crisp on dusting; he claimed that, after the first six years it didn't get any worse, & you no longer noticed it.

“You fall out of your mother's womb, you crawl across open country under fire, and drop into your grave.”

“Fashion is what you adopt when you don't know who you are.”

“Decency must be an even more exhausting state to maintain than its opposite. Those who succeed seem to need a stupefying amount of sleep.”
Quentin Crisp.

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 14-11-2023

“The young always have the same problem - how to rebel and conform at the same time. They have now solved this by defying their parents and copying one another.”
Quentin Crisp

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.”
Thomas Edison

“Action is the antidote to despair.”
Joan Baez