Too Many Message Boards
Sayings & Quotes - Printable Version

+- Too Many Message Boards (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums)
+-- Forum: General Topics (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Sayings & Quotes (/showthread.php?tid=791)

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 10-12-2023

“Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many” - Mark Twain

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 11-12-2023

"An excess of reason is itself a form of madness."
Tibetan Buddhist

"Women's virtue is men's greatest invention"
Cornelia Otis Skinner

"To be hopeful in bad times is not just foolishly romantic, it is based on the fact that human history is a history not only of cruelty, but also of compassion, sacrifice, courage, kindness -- and if we do act, in however small a way, we don't have to wait for some grand utopian future. The future is an infinite succession of presents, and to live now, as we think human beings should live, in defiance of all that is bad around us, is itself, a marvellous victory."
Howard Zinn

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 12-12-2023

Martin Luther King, Jr., reminded us that “the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice.” Change takes a long time, but it does happen.

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 12-12-2023

It has been estimated that to get the planet back on track over a seven year period would cost $750 trillion. That would include dealing with all the sanitation problems of the third world, all the basic food issues, atmospheric pollution. While it seems a huge amount, it’s what the world collectively spends on defence each year. We’ve got the money. We choose not to do it because it’s not in the best interests of the politicians we have.
Peter Russell.

"Mistakes are part of the dues that one pays for a full life. "
Sophia Loren

'At least two thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity, idealism, dogmatism and proselytising zeal on behalf of religious or political idols.'
Aldous Huxley

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 13-12-2023

"If you can conduct yourself in a way that is not detrimental to others or that does not impinge on their freedom, then you are behaving according to dharma."
Sai Baba

"There are two ways to live your life: as though nothing is a miracle, or as though everything is a miracle."
Albert Einstein

"The ultimate work of civilisation is the unfolding of ever deeper spiritual understanding."
Arnold Toynbee

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 13-12-2023

Anaïs Nin:

The secret of a full life is to live and relate to others as if they might not be there tomorrow, as if you might not be there tomorrow. It eliminates the vice of procrastination, the sin of postponement, failed communications, failed communions.

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 14-12-2023

"When I reflect that God is just, I fear for my country." Thomas Jefferson

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 14-12-2023

Prejudices, it is well known, are most difficult to eradicate from the heart whose soil has never been loosened or fertilised by education; they grow firm there, firm as weeds among stones."
Charlotte Bronte

"Some things you must always be unable to bear. Some things you must never stop refusing to bear. Injustice and outrage and dishonour and shame. No matter how young you are or how old you have got. Not for kudos and not for cash, your picture in the paper nor money in the bank, neither. Just refuse to bear them."
William Faulkner

"Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the same courage that a soldier needs. Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them. "
Ralph Waldo Emerson

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 15-12-2023

"Of course I talk to myself. I like a good speaker & appreciate an intelligent audience."

“Their pooled emotions wouldn’t fill a teaspoon.”
Dorothy Parker

"Men of quality do not fear equality."
Anon

“It has been said that marriage diminishes man, but it almost always annihilates woman.”
Simone de Beauvoir

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 16-12-2023

"You never knowingly do something for the last time without a certain sadness of the heart."
Oscar Wilde

"Free inquiry requires that we tolerate diversity of opinion and that we respect the right of individuals to express their beliefs, however unpopular they may be, without social or legal prohibition or fear of success."
Paul Kurtz

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 17-12-2023

"Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking; where it is absent, discussion is apt to become worse than useless."
Leo Nikolaevich Tolstoi

"The focal point of all reforms should be human liberation, and the respect for human value and human rights. The free development of each individual is the basis for all social progress."
Xu Wenli

"To see heaven in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour."

William Blake

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 17-12-2023

“Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better.” —Martin Luther King Jr.

“Darkness can not drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” – Martin Luther King Jr.

“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 18-12-2023

"Tolerance of intolerance is cowardice." -Sam Harris

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 18-12-2023

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. "
Stephen Grellet

“The more I read, , the more I acquire, the more certain I am that I know nothing.”
Voltaire

"Why does life keep teaching me lessons I have no desire to learn."
Ashleigh Brilliant

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 19-12-2023

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat."
Rebecca West

"Feminism; the radical idea that women are people."
Anon

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 20-12-2023

"To try and fail is at least to learn. To fail to try is to suffer the loss of what might have been".
Benjamin Franklin

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."
Muhammad Ali

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 21-12-2023

"If you want others to be happy practice compassion. If you want to be happy practice compassion."
Dalai Lama

"The purpose of life is not to be happy, it is to be useful, to be honourable,to be compassionate, to have it make some difference, to have lived and lived well."
Ralph Waldo Emerson.

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 22-12-2023

"All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone." - Blaise Pascal

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 22-12-2023

"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, senseless brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance, how violently I hate all this, how despicable an ignorable war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action! It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder."
Albert Einstein

"Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation. "
Henry Ward Beecher.

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 23-12-2023

"The most shocking thing about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. “
Aldous Huxley. The Olive Tree.

“If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your state, it probably means tnat you built your state on my land.”
Musa Anter