Too Many Message Boards
Sayings & Quotes - Printable Version

+- Too Many Message Boards (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums)
+-- Forum: General Topics (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Sayings & Quotes (/showthread.php?tid=791)

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 09-01-2024

“Any attempt to solve a conflict has to touch upon its very core; the core,more often than not,lies in its history.”
Noam Chomsky

“Cats were put into the world to disprove the dogma that all things were created to serve man.”
Paul Gray

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 09-01-2024

Lilith7 I think this is a typo? "hostpry"

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 10-01-2024

“The comfort of the rich depends upon an abundant supply of the poor.” — Voltaire

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 10-01-2024

“No one is dumb who is curious. The people who don't ask questions remain clueless throughout their lives.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson

“The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good, in our own way, so long we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it.”
John Stuart Mill

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 10-01-2024

(09-01-2024, 10:26 PM)zqwerty Wrote: Lilith7 I think this is a typo?  "hostpry"

Cheers for that, fixed it. Rolleyes Smile

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 11-01-2024

“Whatever crushes individuality Is despotism, by whatever name it may be called.”

John Stuart Mill

”The idea that the poor should have leisure and a holiday from work has always been shocking to the rich. In the early nineteenth century, fifteen hours was the ordinary day's work for a man; children sometimes did as much, and very commonly did twelve hours a day. When meddlesome busybodies suggested that perhaps these hours were rather long, they were told that work kept adults from drink and children from mischief. When I was a child, shortly after urban working men had acquired the vote, certain public holidays were established by law, to the great indignation of the upper classes. I remember hearing an old Duchess say: 'What do the poor want with holidays? They ought to work.' People nowadays are less frank, but the sentiment persists, and is the source of much of our economic confusion.”

Bertrand Russell, In Praise of Idleness and Other Essays (1935)

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 11-01-2024

A typo Lilith7 - indivuality

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 12-01-2024

That'll be the not so wonderful eyesight!

“If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, & only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing ,mankind.”
John Stuart Mill

“Not the violent conflict between parts of the truth, but the quiet suppression of half of it, is the formidable evil; there is always hope when people are forced to listen to both sides; it is when they attend to only one that errors harden into prejudices, & truth itself ceases to have the effect by being exaggerated into falsehood”
John Stuart Mill

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 13-01-2024

“ I don't have an issue with what you do in the church, but I'm going to be up in your face if you're going to knock on my science classroom door & tell me they've got to teach what you're teaching in your Sunday school. Because that's when we're going to fight.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson

“I cannot do all the good the world needs. But the world needs all the good that I can do.”
Jana Stanfield

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 14-01-2024

“The purpose of a writer is to keep civilisation from destroying itself.”
Albert Camus

“I have no time for privileged people who take advantage of their privileged position to attack the weakest people in our society. “
Ranginui Walker

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 15-01-2024

“Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.”
Marcus Aurelius

“Don't ever apologise to an author for buying something in paperback, or taking it out from a library (that's what they're there for. Use your library). Don't apologise to this author for buying books second hand or getting them from bookcrossing or borrowing a friend's copy. What's important to me is that people read the books & enjoy them, & that, at some point in there, the book was bought by someone. And that people who like things, tell other people.
The most important thing is that people read...”
Neil Gaiman

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 16-01-2024

“The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” Nelson Mandela

“The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.”
Walt Disney

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 17-01-2024

“Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people's thinking”
Steve Jobs

“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.”
Eleanor Roosevelt

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 17-01-2024

James Baldwin:

"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be
changed until it is faced."

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 18-01-2024

“If you look at what you have in life, you'll always have more. If you look at what you don't have in life, you'll never have enough.”
Oprah Winfrey

“If you set your goals ridiculously high and it's a failure, you will fail above everyone else's success.”
James Cameron

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 19-01-2024

In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason.

Ernest Hemingway

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 19-01-2024

“You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us. And the world will live as one.”
John Lennon

“Well done is better than well said.”
Benjamin Franklin

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 20-01-2024

“The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.”
Helen Keller

“It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light.”
Aristotle

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 21-01-2024

“Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
Oscar Wilde

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 22-01-2024

“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. “
Henry David Thoreau

“In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.”
Abraham Lincoln