Too Many Message Boards
Sayings & Quotes - Printable Version

+- Too Many Message Boards (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums)
+-- Forum: General Topics (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Sayings & Quotes (/showthread.php?tid=791)

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 25-02-2024

“In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way.”

“Democracy cannot succeed unless those who express their choice are prepared to choose wisely. The real safeguard of democracy, therefore, is education.”
FDR

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 26-02-2024

"Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas. Five years later? Six? It seems like a lifetime, or at least a Main Era—the kind of peak that never comes again. San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run...but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant [...]

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave...

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back."

Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 26-02-2024

(26-02-2024, 07:10 AM)zqwerty Wrote: "Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas. Five years later? Six? It seems like a lifetime, or at least a Main Era—the kind of peak that never comes again. San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run...but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant [...]

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave...

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back."

Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

It must be several decades since I read that.. Smile

"If civilisation is to survive, we must cultivate the science of human relationships - the ability of all peoples, of all kinds, to live together, in the same world at peace.”

“It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.”
FDR

Yes, I know, one of Hunter S. Thompson's most famous quotes and a memorable one. I keep going back to it.

Johnny Depp spent a lot of time with Hunter S. Thompson, they were good friends (a role model for Johnny), that's how Johnny Depp and Amber Heard met. Depp and Heard first crossed paths while filming their 2011 drama on the set of The Rum Diary, which Johnny encouraged Hunter to make his book into a film.

An ill-fated relationship if there ever was one. Quite a story if you follow it up. She thought to play him for a sucker but in the end he had the measure of her. I think he really loved her but she destroyed his feelings for her over time by her atrocious behaviour.

https://people.com/movies/johnny-depp-amber-heard-relationship-timeline/

I first noticed Johnny in 21 Jump Street, a tv series, all those years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rum_Diary_(novel)

(26-02-2024, 01:03 PM)zqwerty Wrote: Yes, I know, one of Hunter S. Thompson's most famous quotes and a memorable one.  I keep going back to it.

Johnny Depp spent a lot of time with Hunter S. Thompson, they were good friends (a role model for Johnny), that's how Johnny Depp and Amber Heard met.  Depp and Heard first crossed paths while filming their 2011 drama on the set of The Rum Diary, which Johnny encouraged Hunter to make his book into a film.

An ill-fated relationship if there ever was one.  Quite a story if you follow it up.  She thought to play him for a sucker but in the end he had the measure of her.  I think he really loved her but she destroyed his feelings for her over time by her atrocious behaviour.

https://people.com/movies/johnny-depp-amber-heard-relationship-timeline/

I first noticed Johnny in 21 Jump Street, a tv series, all those years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rum_Diary_(novel)

I think the first thing I saw both him & Leonardo di Caprio in was What's eating Gilbert Grape, & I thought then that both were so outstandingly good they were bound for excellent careers.

https://www.filminquiry.com/whats-eating-gilbert-grape-1993-review/

Leonardo di Caprio played a Southern Rhodesian in the movie Blood Diamond very convincingly, I'm a Northern Rhodesian so I would know.

(26-02-2024, 04:23 PM)zqwerty Wrote: Leonardo di Caprio played a Southern Rhodesian in the movie Blood Diamond very convincingly, I'm a Northern Rhodesian so I would know.

Well done him then.
They're both excellent actors - there are quite a few around now. And Di Caprio really should have got an Oscar for Blood diamond.

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 27-02-2024

“Let us never forget that government is ourselves and not an alien power over us. The ultimate rulers of our democracy are not a President and senators and congressmen and government officials, but the voters of this country.”

“There are as many opinions as there are experts.”
FDR

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 28-02-2024

"War doesn't determine who is right - only who is left!" - Bertrand Russell

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 28-02-2024

“The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.”

“Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough.”
FDR

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 29-02-2024

“Nobody will ever deprive the American people of the right to vote except the American people themselves and the only way they could do this is by not voting.”

“A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.”
FDR

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 01-03-2024

“If I went to work in a factory the first thing I'd do is join a union.”

“Self-interest is the enemy of all true affection.”
FDR

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 01-03-2024

death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal - Richard Puz

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 02-03-2024

“Confidence... thrives on honesty, on honour, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.”

“We are trying to construct a more inclusive society. We are going to make a country in which no one is left out.”
FDR

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 03-03-2024

“No government can help the destinies of people who insist in putting sectional and class consciousness ahead of general weal.”

Franklin D. Roosevelt

“Albert Einstein said of Mahatma Gandhi: "Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever in flesh and blood walked upon this earth."

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 04-03-2024

“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”

“An ounce of patience is worth more than a tonne of preaching.”
Gandhi

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 05-03-2024

“An ounce of patience is worth more than a tonne of preaching.”

“In a gentle way, you can shake the world.”

Gandhi

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 06-03-2024

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”

“A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks he becomes.”
Gandhi

RE: Sayings & Quotes - Lilith7 - 07-03-2024

“Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.”

“The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.”

Gandhi

RE: Sayings & Quotes - zqwerty - 08-03-2024

‘The tragedy of growing old is not that one is old but that one is young.’
Oscar Wilde