Too Many Message Boards
Smoke Free NZ - Printable Version

+- Too Many Message Boards (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums)
+-- Forum: General Topics (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://tmmb.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Smoke Free NZ (/showthread.php?tid=867)

Pages: 1 2

Smoke Free NZ - Oldfellah - 09-12-2021

As quoted from News Hub

Future generations of Kiwis will be banned from buying cigarettes in New Zealand - those who are 13 years old right now are likely to be our last smokers.

Those aged 14 years and under when the law comes into force - likely 2023 - will never be able to buy smokes.

The number of places allowed to sell tobacco will be slashed from about 8000 to just 500.

Should the Government tell people how to live their lives?

Then what about all the overseas visitors especially the Chinese that smoke like trains will they want to come to a country where you cant get smokes from the local dairy?

RE: Smoke Free NZ - king1 - 09-12-2021

Governments tell people how to live their lives all the time - seatbelts for example...

It is an interesting question though about overseas visitors, where the rules are different back home... they will need to have a way of allowing them to purchase if needed, probably as part of the visa process

RE: Smoke Free NZ - Olive - 09-12-2021

I think it's already clear that our economy overall is much less dependent on international tourism than the tourism businesses were expecting. Most Chinese tourists have travelled in large groups and little of their spending went to local businesses anyway. If heavy smokers want to travel they have always needed to secure their supply of cigarettes and it will be no different now.

I don't smoke (any more) but I do drink alcohol. When I have travelled to countries where alcohol is forbidden or frowned up I don't drink. I don't see that smoking is any different.

RE: Smoke Free NZ - TygerTung - 09-12-2021

Also telling people how to live their lives, making hard drugs illegal, making people wear motorcycle helmets, making it illegal to rape and murder each other.

Not really a new thing.

RE: Smoke Free NZ - Oh_hunnihunni - 09-12-2021

(09-12-2021, 08:33 PM)Olive Wrote: I think it's already clear that our economy overall is much less dependent on international tourism than the tourism businesses were expecting.    Most Chinese tourists  have travelled in large groups and  little of their spending went to  local businesses anyway.  If heavy smokers want to travel they have always needed to secure their supply of cigarettes and it will be no different now.

I don't smoke (any more) but I do drink alcohol.  When I have travelled to countries where alcohol is forbidden or frowned up I don't drink.  I don't see that smoking is any different.
Cheers Olive...

What about weed though? Does that count?

RE: Smoke Free NZ - TygerTung - 10-12-2021

(10-12-2021, 05:36 AM)jim157 Wrote: This post by jim157 has been deleted.

How so please?

RE: Smoke Free NZ - Oh_hunnihunni - 10-12-2021

I hate racism.

RE: Smoke Free NZ - yousnoozeyoulose - 10-12-2021

(10-12-2021, 08:23 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I hate racism.

Controversial Tongue

Too much of it around. Along with pig ignorance.

RE: Smoke Free NZ - Oldfellah - 10-12-2021

(09-12-2021, 08:33 PM)Olive Wrote: I think it's already clear that our economy overall is much less dependent on international tourism than the tourism businesses were expecting.    Most Chinese tourists  have travelled in large groups and  little of their spending went to  local businesses anyway.  If heavy smokers want to travel they have always needed to secure their supply of cigarettes and it will be no different now.

I don't smoke (any more) but I do drink alcohol.  When I have travelled to countries where alcohol is forbidden or frowned up I don't drink.  I don't see that smoking is any different.

Im not sure because I dont smoke but I think you are only allowed to bring in 2 packs (50) cigarettes with you but I could be wrong.

I know drinking can be classed as an addiction and I know smoking is a big addiction but from what I have heard trying to give up smoking is one of the hardest things to do, so I cant see a tourist getting through their allocation of smokes and then not being able to purchase more except to go to one of the 500 outlets that will sell reduced nicotine cigarettes.

Took me nine attempts before I managed it. Silly thing is if it wasn't so expensive I'd probably still be tempted...

The thing is your allowed to legally grow your own tobacco and smoke it , I can see a lot of people making a lot of money.

Not quite as easy a project as some might imagine.

RE: Smoke Free NZ - C_T_Russell - 10-12-2021

(09-12-2021, 07:16 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: Then what about all the overseas visitors especially the Chinese that smoke like trains will they want to come to a country where you cant get smokes from the local dairy?

Im not complaining!

But not sure how this law will play out, will see black market sales likely increase, but if people are too lazy to get of their butt and grow their own, whats the problem?

Any ban should also apply to vaping too.

(10-12-2021, 12:03 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(09-12-2021, 07:16 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: Then what about all the overseas visitors especially the Chinese that smoke like trains will they want to come to a country where you cant get smokes from the local dairy?

Im not complaining!

But not sure how this law will play out, will see black market sales likely increase, but if people are too lazy to get of their butt and grow their own, whats the problem?

Any ban should also apply to vaping too.

I agree because its still nicotine and that's the part you get addicted to

(10-12-2021, 11:22 AM)Oldfellah Wrote: The thing is your allowed to legally grow your own tobacco and smoke it , I can see a lot of people making a lot of money.

I think the home grown stuff isn't very nice, or so I have heard.

Also if it were so easy, people would be growing and selling it now on the black market as fags are so expensive, they could undercut the shops and still be making a lot of money.

Absolutely it should apply to vaping. And to the import and sale of associated smoking related products.

Seeing we're playing with controversiality! ?

RE: Smoke Free NZ - Lilith7 - 10-12-2021

(10-12-2021, 10:56 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Too much of it around. Along with pig ignorance.
They invariably seem to go together, too.

There is apparently already a black market in tobacco here & I know there is or was, one in Oz. I'm not so sure about banning vaping outright though, since I know some people have managed to give up cigarettes by using vaping.
Anything going into our lungs probably isn't going to be good for us, though.

It does tend to make me quite angry when I think how many people must have died or become addicted because the tobacco industry, although it knew of the damage their product was doing, didn't see fit to share that information with the rest of the world. Absolute bastards.

It is the only product which when the instructions are followed, will kill the user.

Except for weapons maybe?